Nurburgring.... In Nevada????

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man Wants To Build Exact Copy Of Nürburgring… In Nevada

Since the greater Las Vegas area only has a copy of Paris, New York, Venice, and alien-occupied ancient Egypt, it's still a good ways away from having a copy of all of Earth's good stuff. Luckily, Bruton Smith, CEO of Speedway Motorsports, is working to fix that, starting with a copy of the Nürburgring.

In this interview on Sirius XM Sports, Smith reveals that he's been talking to "some Germans" about the possibility of creating an exact duplicate of the Nürburgring in Nevada, likely 10 or so miles away from the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Smith is very confident he can produce an exact replica, and has been talking to both the Governor and the Nevada Bureau of Land Management, who he's hoping will donate 8,000 acres of land for the project. And why wouldn't they? Nevada has plenty of open dirt without any Nürburgrings at all— this could take care of that situation.

The Nevada 'Ring wouldn't be used for racing, just test track use, though individuals as well as manufacturers could use it.

So what you're saying is that I could be a four hour drive from the Nürburgring, and then moments from $4.99 lobster and the loosest slots in town? Yes, please.

http://jalopnik.com/5891398/man-wants-to-b...gring-in-nevada

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they build it, I will come.

Who am I kidding? I go to Vegas all the time, anyway. But this would be a reason to drive there...

Some of us from NorCal did the SRT track experience at the LVMS complex, and it's really a nice setup out there. A Nevadaburgring would be a perfect addition. But limited touristenfahrten, please!!!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It almost sounds to good to be true. But if it happens........Road Trip. :drive:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they build it, I will come.

Same here; but, I can't believe that it will ever happen. I certainly would not want my tax money being spent on it if I lived in LV; but, if they could do it with private funding, more power to them! I go to the privately owned track at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch nearby 2-3 times a year, and it is extremely nice. They plan to expand the track this year to allow for a 4-5 mile config. :2tu:

Man Wants To Build Exact Copy Of Nürburgring… In Nevada

The cost to sculpt the elevation changes into the desert would be astronomical and that is a big part of the mystic. (In addition to it being in the forest.) Of course, this new version could end up with the name, "dusty hell."

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've ever played golf out there north of Vegas you'll attest to some surprising elevation changes... particularly as you head further east... so maybe it would be possible to carve out a 3d carbon copy of the 'Ring. As mentioned above, though, you'd have a lot of work to do re: dust & sand management. In the summertime, whew! Truly the "Dusty Hell".

The cost would seem to be prohibitive.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cost to build a race track so high today I dont think it will ever happen. More power to him if he can make it happen.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's going to be allot of trees to replicate the green hell :smirk:
But yeah, that would be so awesome

Screw the trees, just build the track!
But given the true cost a building a track like that I doubt it will really happen, even if they gave him the land for free.
Still, a guy can dream......

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The green stuff would require too much water - already a problem to the area. Wouldn't working with the natural terrain as best as could be done and perhaps unique to "The Cacturgring Sandschleife" be enough?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be easier said than done...

Germany's Nürburgring Nordschliefe is 12.9 miles of thick, close forest; 73 corners; and 1000 feet of elevation change. Jackie Stewart called it the Green Hell.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my viper there last month, now I would really have a reason to take it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62