Oil Catch can?

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I remember reading about Vipers throwing oil into the intake from hard braking and high G turns which can be disastrous in some cases... Am I right in thinking that an oil catch can is what prevents this from happening? And if I am, how does one go about installing a oil catch can? Thanks all!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not disastrous. It just reduces your power. When an engine inhales oil vapors into the combustion cycle, it can reduce the effective octane level, or potentially cause knock retard to pull ignition timing from what is available. Less timing, less power.

The PCV valve cover baffles just aren't that effective at removing oil vapor from the fumes pulled into the intake by the PCV system. The catch can setup is better suited to capture those oil vapors, and keep the oil from getting into the intake manifold.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think your mixing up an oil pan upgrade with a catch can. Not sure if you have a Gen III or IV? Oil in the intake causes loss of power as the oil and oil vapors in the intake mix with the gasoline and the computer pulls timing back sensing lower octane fuel. This is why you'd install a catch can. Tracking a Gen III with the stock oil pan can cause "disastrous" results in high G turns, especially on sticky tires, as you can starve the engine of oil. If you have a Gen III, buy the Gen IV style "swing arm" pan from Dan at Viper Specialties. Gen IV's have an upgraded pan and no oiling issues. If you need a catch can, there are a few vendors than can help you or you can build it yourself, examples of Gen III and IV in the illustrated upgrades section. Good luck, Mike

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil coming into the intake can cause disastrous results in earlier Gen III's. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't have a knock sensor in '03 did they? I thought they only added it in '04 or so. If that info is correct, then the engine will not pull any timing when the octane gets lowered, which would lead to severe detonation if you keep running hard.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh I see. No, I know about the oil pan issues in the GEN 3 and I don't mind that considering I don't do any hard tracking... Yet anyways haha. I was under the impression that detonating would lead to engine failure? I'm guessing the amount of oil that gets into the intake is not enough to cause substantial detonation. I have a '05 so I do have the knock sensor. I'm going to be camming the car over winter so I want to make sure she gets the right octane that she needs. These motors aren't cheap! Haha. Are there any good oil catch cans that you guys would recommend? Thanks for all the replies btw. Much appreciated!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are quite a few nice set-ups from different vendors that you can choose from. It all depends on your taste and budget and whether you mind doing a little extra or not. I pieced mine together pretty damn inexpensively and works perfect and looks great (in my opinion). There are definitely better looking ones I've seen out there, but they are a lot more expensive. It's really up to you. If you search "catch can" on here, you should find a lot threads, pics and info.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are quite a few nice set-ups from different vendors that you can choose from. It all depends on your taste and budget and whether you mind doing a little extra or not. I pieced mine together pretty damn inexpensively and works perfect and looks great (in my opinion). There are definitely better looking ones I've seen out there, but they are a lot more expensive. It's really up to you. If you search "catch can" on here, you should find a lot threads, pics and info.
Here's a link to mine:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654075-Catch-can-install-finished?highlight=catch

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a NON-Can version that I did in about 10 min. I don't track the car and don't drive it allot . I hate the Idea of the oil mist and vapors being dumped into the intake and before the throttle bodies......so I did this set-up ......if I need to do the catch can I am ready to do it. However, I am giving this a try for a while.
You must be registered for see images attach

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you disconnect where the lines used to plug back into the throttlebody area and just put those filters on there? If that the case, and you drive very hard, be prepared for oil to soak those filters and end up all over the engine bay (and possibly the headers).

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I realize that and my set-up is not for everyone..However, I am always under my hood after a drive, I never drive it that hard for too long...and I would never even let it get even close to the point of getting one single drop of oil anywhere. I have two back up filters so if they ever get too oily I will change them out,clean and rotate as necessasy...if it seems to be a problem the catch can is an easy add on...I just dont think its needed for my stock engine and my minimal driving...I'll keep you posted as time goes on ....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries. I just didn't want you to end up with an unexpected mess or possible fire. :)
I went one session too long one time without emptying my can and the extreme g-loads on the track sloshed some oil up to the filter on top of the can. Luckily I just had a mess of oil mist everywhere and no fire. Once anything gets on the filter, the amount of air pressure will blow it all over the place.
After that mess, I now empty the can after almost each session just to be on the safe side. And carry an extra filter in the box on my trailer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, Towdawg! I think I'm gonna be adding that oil catch can come next season :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my '06 build thread, here is a photo of what I drained out of my catch-can. Less than 1,000 miles, but most of that at wide open throttle. Without the catch can, all of that oil would have been sucked into my intake manifold and ended up in my combustion cycle. Not good.

I did my catch-can the expensive route, because I don't really cut corners on my Viper. Got the billet valvecover manifolds and can from Exotic Engine. I snapped quite a few photos of the install process, been meaning to do a little how-to article on them. You'll likely spend $400-500 to copy the setup, but the system works perfectly and looks killer.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the look of those Exotic Engine breather contraptions, but I'm guessing there's no way to get those to work with Gen IV valve covers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth