Oil Change Gone Bad... (pic)

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't try this at home. Routine oil change -- after finger tightening Mobil 1 filter, added about 1 1/2 turns with strap wrench before resistance increased. Oil didn't leak until I started the engine -- luckily I ran it for less than 30 seconds for a leak check -- still resulted in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 on the driveway. The filter required almost 5 more complete turns with the strap wrench before it was tight. Engine is fine, but a lot of high-priced oil on the driveway! :eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something odd on this one. I see no way a hand or finger tight oil filter could then tighten 6 1/2 more turns. Are you sure the threaded ****** in the oil filter housing is tight? Is the gasket OK? How much torque was required to finally get it to stop leaking? I remember one VCA member that had a "end" cut gasket (beveled)that never sealed. Perhaps your problem too?

I'd probably remove and inspect rather then trust it...

:usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<font color="blue">If I remember correctly, the instructions on the Mobil 1 filter say its a new "low torque" gasket, that doesn't need a lot of tightening. So if you turn it past the reccomended amount, it may fold the gasket in to a ball, or smear it out of shape.

(I must confess, that when I put mine on, I didn't pay attention to the instructions, and tightened it until it felt tight, which made me feel good)

But mine didn't leak. Go figure.</font>

OP
OP
T

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron -- I thought the same and was really surprised to see it leak. I usually hand tighten, but added the 1 1/2 turns with the strap wrench because the factory filter was tight. This is the first time I've used a Mobil 1 filter -- since tightening, it does not leak and oil pressures are OK. I'm guessing the filter threads were off center which caused resistance before the gasket was seated.

Vic -- The Mobil 1 came in a plain black box without instructions.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic -- The Mobil 1 came in a plain black box without instructions.
<font color="blue">Hmmm..Sounds like your filter was re-packaged at the store.</font>

MightyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful putting an oil filter on with that much pressure. The gasket/o-ring will swell with oil and heat making it nearly impossible to get off when you get to your next oil change. I've personally done this mistake once and in order to get the filter off ended up using a screwdriver to break the seal. Note that this was on an old truck of mine, haven't had to change the oil on the Viper yet.

Greg

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On both my V10s I use the Mobil 1 Fitler. Once you feel resistance, go 3/4 of a turn and it will perfect. If you go 6 times, there is something wrong.

I would guess that the old gasket was still on it the car when you put the filter on. When you have 2 gaskets the oil will pump out.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jim,

I remember reading an earlier post somewhere about the gasket slipping out on the Mobil-1 filters. Anyways, on mine, I used the Mobil-1, primed it with new oil, lubed the gasket, hand tightened it, then just 1/2-turn on the wrench.

Warren.
You must be registered for see images

original and Mobil 1

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I remember reading an earlier post somewhere about the gasket slipping out on the Mobil-1 filters.

Janni was the one that had the problem. She posted a ton on info, so maybe do a search.

OP
OP
T

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warren -- I'm impressed. I can't believe you have a picture of the original and Mobil 1 filters -- from your picture, the filter has the same model number and looks like the Mobil 1 filter that I purchased/installed.

Cody -- it was Janni's earlier gasket post that caused me to inspect this filter and later verify the leak. I also checked the old filter and the gasket was intact.

I think the multiple turns with the filter wrench were needed due to the poor gripability of the Mobil 1 (compare with the Frams that have a black friction area on top) and difficulty in reaching around the frame to get a good feel as I hand tightened. I also was not impressed with the precision of the threads (for a premium filter) which I think contributed to the lack of "feel" for the resistance as the filter was twisted on.

I'm pretty certain the filter is on properly and working, but will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks. The reason I posted was not to diagnose the filter problem, but to underscore the importance of a leak check after a routine oil change. Too bad this lesson wasn't on the Prowler or PT Cruiser since they hold less oil, but at least I didn't run the engine dry.

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I'll let you know if there are any more problems. Since I left the cover off the car last evening I had a "Viper Ghost" in the morning, but I'll save that picture for another thread.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be very concerned that you cross threaded the filter if you had to use a strap to advance it 6.5 turns. Every Mobil One filter I have ever used spins nicely onto the shaft until it contacts bottom, than should be turned 3/4 more.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick - somebody call the TCEQ and report that spill!

(sorry - j/k)

I don't think I've used a filter wrench to tighten an oil filter in close to 15 years. I just oil the gasket and run them down good and snug by hand.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check to see if the oil filter you removed had the rubber gasket still on it? Or is it still stuck to the motor and when you put the new oil filter on it has doubled up and it is leaking all over.

By the way, I NEVER use a wrench to tighten an oil filter. Hand tight real good is sufficient. Only use a wrench to REMOVE an oil filter.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I would agree with many who have posted, the need to use the wrench might indicate something wrong
with the threads on your new filter, or gulp....something wrong with the threads on your car....I really doubt
its your car...I would really want to drop the filter and inspect, and install another one...

Did you jack up the entire front end just with the floor jack on the pass side? I have not tried this yet...Is it
harmful to the frame?

thanks
Tomer

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd be very concerned that you cross threaded the filter if you had to use a strap to advance it 6.5 turns. Every Mobil One filter I have ever used spins nicely onto the shaft until it contacts bottom, than should be turned 3/4 more.

If your filter won't spin on by hand, check the threads before forcing it with a filter wrench. You should be able to tighten by hand, clean hands of coarse.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the end-cap/socket type filter wrench. Use it with a 3/8" drive and a 6" extension. It works perfect and you have a much better feel relative to seating the filter. If you had that much resistance for that many turns, the filter had a bad thread, or you cross threaded it. In reality you should be able to hand tighten the filter if you can get a grip.

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me a few years ago as well. The gasket from the filter I removed stuck to the car. I tightened it more than usual as it "felt funny". I lost 3 quarts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets