Oil change

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9-10 Quarts of oil at ~$6 ea. = $60 + labor

If you don't feel like getting dirty, I usually buy my own oil (Mobil One Syn.) and take it down to a local oil change shop and they charge me ~$12 to the work.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wal-mart sells 5 quart jugs of Mobil One Syn. for $20 each. So buy 2 jugs ($40), filter (~$7) and whatever labor is (~$10)...Total: $57 + tax
Like ^^^^ said.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like spending the extra $50 and I take mine to the dealer for the following reasons:
1. My friggin plastic POS ramps dont work on a viper
2. I like having the dealer look the car over for a problem that I could overlook
3. For minor stuff, I like supporting my dealer. Someday hope to have a lift and will do it myself.

And btw, you guys that don't spend the $20 and have your oil analyzed (thanks Steve Fess and Ron Fleming of Indy) and compared to previous results are really missing out on one of best bargains around. Test kits are free, you collect your oil in midstream during a change and send it in and you get a complete analysis of your oil and commentary, all for $20. Here is the link for more info:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when you get an "oil change" they usually do other stuff, like lube the chassis, check tire pressure, check other fluids, check air filter, etc. Sometimes they vacuum or throw in a car wash too.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And btw, you guys that don't spend the $20 and have your oil analyzed (thanks Steve Fess and Ron Fleming of Indy) and compared to previous results are really missing out on one of best bargains around. Test kits are free, you collect your oil in midstream during a change and send it in and you get a complete analysis of your oil and commentary, all for $20. Here is the link for more info:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Totally agree! Oil analysis could save you a small fortune someday!

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Totally agree! Oil analysis could save you a small fortune someday! "

Already has for me. I had a leak in an intake manifold gasket on my Chevy. Blackstone called me as soon as they ran the test to tell me that I had some antifreeze in my oil. I would never have spotted the problem that soon myself.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the efforts of several VCA members, we are really getting quite a pile of data on the various iterations Viper engines...and their respective oils.

I was delighted to see the results of the oil analysis of a friend's Viper samples sent just last week. This particular Viper had traveled a little over 800 miles in 2yrs. 2 months (admittedly MUCH longer time interval between oil changes than said friend usually allows but "things happen"...)noting that the oil was Mobil 1 10W-30 SuperSyn. Aside from the usual "decent numbers", his TBN (total base number) was over 11 (!!!)...indicating PLENTY of protection left in his oil...as report read..." so lots of active additive remain in the oil".

Interesting stuff...and GREAT SERVICE from the folks at Blackstone Labs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth