oil change!

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I am attempting my first oil change on the viper as I am tired of paying upwards of $250 for the viper tech to do it. I have the car on jack stands right now (quite an interesting process to get it up there in its own right) and am attempting to get the drain plug out. Am I correct in thinking that the drain plug is the 9/16" hex nut/bolt positioned right/center of the oil pan? If so, that thing is FREAKING welded on there. Im nervous to put so much pressure on it because the car is up on stands (though I doubt I could get the car to move that much where it would fall off the stands). What am I missing here guys? Im giving it everything I got, it won't budge, and I've been known to pump some iron in my day.

also, Im looking ahead to the oil filter, how does it actually come in and out? there is that trianglar A-Frame looking section that seems to be a pretty tight squeeze for the filter, is that the best place to take it out?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like the right oil plug - are you using a standard 3/8" socket wrench or a 1/2"? The 3/8" wrench will be a bit short and will seem like it requres a lot of effort - you might need to move up to a longer wrench. Best way I've found to get the oil filter off is to use a strap type remover, and put the oil pan right below the triangular frame opening that you mentioned. Just loosen the filter, let it drain for a few minutes, and let the filter drop down. I think total time, start to finish, for me to change my oil is less than 30 minutes. Oh, and you don't need to use stands. I just drive up onto a few stepped blocks of 2x6 wood scraps and that gives me plenty of clearance to get the oil pan under the car. No need to make it more difficult than necessary.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good goodness where did you get that price? they charge me for an hour of labor ($100), then since they won't let me bring my own oil I have to buy their mobil 1 at $10/quart ($100), then a filter ($10) and taxes, "shop supplies"...its BS, so I finally just bought my own equipment. However not going as smoothly as I had hoped.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like total Warnock BS to me......

$40 if i bring my own oil at a local mechanic in pompton plains off rt23

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, 9 qts of M1, plus filter, plus labor for $40? Are you sure they're really putting M1 in the car? Even in my most cheapskate mode, the oil alone would cost $36 and the filter another $10. It's hard to fathom how any mechanic could do the job for $40 and still make money, unless they're using someone else's recycled M1 :)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are funny.

I track my Viper and change the oil every month, trust me after 5 yrs of going to the same mechanic I know what he puts in my car haha.. Anyone in N. Indiana area and need an oil change, pm me for name of dealership

ok, back on topic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
motor, you're right on track so far. I hit the wrench with my palm, the mass of the car wont move when you give the wrench like a 50 pound quick hit. You are turning it counter-clockwise, as seen from the hex head, right?

(I think I might make some stepped ramps like Martin says)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, 9 qts of M1, plus filter, plus labor for $40? Are you sure they're really putting M1 in the car? Even in my most cheapskate mode, the oil alone would cost $36 and the filter another $10. It's hard to fathom how any mechanic could do the job for $40 and still make money, unless they're using someone else's recycled M1 :)

I believe its called "attractive blonde in a Viper" discount :D Sadly, I don't qualify, so I'll continue to do mine for ~$60. $50 in oil from Wal-Mart and $10 for the filter.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the good advice, I gave it all I got and after a while the hex nut finally came loose. The oil filter was a super ***** to loosen as well, even using the strap wrench. But whatever it was a great experience and I feel a little accomplished today. Only thing is, I brought it back to the ground, filled it up with Mobil 1. I stopped after 9 qts just to check the level and it was already full??? Im gonna wait until the morning, check the level again, and if it needs that last qt so be it.

Even though its kind of a superb raging hose beast ***** to work on these cars, man is it fun! Thanks again guys!

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey MOTOR,, california car cover sells a set of plastic ramps,,pretty cheap $40 part # 23405,,, works great,, the front end clears with out driving on 2x6's first,, simple,easy, and strong enough for my 300c,,, 1000lb heaver than the viper, pays for themselves the first time

and leslie,, roll me a few please :rolaugh:

:usa::usa::usa:

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey USA i searched on california car cover's website and was unable to find that product by part # or by searching. Are you referring to the "race ramps" / low profile ramps? Those particular ramps are in the $130-$150 range.

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the plug in the center, how much are you leaving in the pan when you drive only the front of the car up on ramps?

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
After looking at your receipt, it is clear to me that they are using regular Mobil oil---NOT Mobil 1 synthetic. I own a shop in Clive, Ia and we have regular mobil oil and also offer full synthetic mobil one. I would make damn sure that you talk to this dealer about that. You should be using Mobil 1 and not regular Mobil oil. Hope this helps. Mark ASE L1 CDMAT

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking at your receipt, it is clear to me that they are using regular Mobil oil---NOT Mobil 1 synthetic. I own a shop in Clive, Ia and we have regular mobil oil and also offer full synthetic mobil one. I would make damn sure that you talk to this dealer about that. You should be using Mobil 1 and not regular Mobil oil. Hope this helps. Mark ASE L1 CDMAT

again, they are using Mobil 1 synthetic, this particular receipt they used the oil I provided since I used a different weight.

BACK on topic

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DDDAAYYYUMMM!!! M1 for the price of dino oil. and 4bucks for the labor!!

that is the Hookup Period

to the op: while applying tension to the wrench bang on it with a hammer to help free it. Then throw a breaker bar on that *****

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leslie, So they didn't charge you 3.00/qt for oil because you brought your own, but what did they charge $3.00 9 times for? Either way, $40.00 + the cost of oil is unbelievable to me, I guess I didn't realize I was paying a northeast tax.

Belair, I also have the same question. The car isn't level when its on ramps or on jack stands, I was concerned about residual oil. Has this been a problem for anyone?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leslie, So they didn't charge you 3.00/qt for oil because you brought your own, but what did they charge $3.00 9 times for? Either way, $40.00 + the cost of oil is unbelievable to me, I guess I didn't realize I was paying a northeast tax.

Belair, I also have the same question. The car isn't level when its on ramps or on jack stands, I was concerned about residual oil. Has this been a problem for anyone?

yeh totally!

what I do is I run 15/50, so I go to Wally world and get 2 containers at $22/each... so the whole thing costs me $84.

during the winter when I am not tracking my car I just go with the Mobil 1 super syn they put in that's included in the $40 oil change.

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey 602,, cal.car cover,,,,"easy up" ramp system,,,, 8 1/2 " high,,, 43 1/2 " lang 11 1/2 " wide $39.99 works fantastic

and Leslie,,,i still think there must be a "sex" act involved in the payment some how lol:crazy2:

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok,,leslie,, i just checked my reciept from walmart,,, a 5 qt container of 10/30 M1 is $26 X 2 is $52,, now a chrysler filter is $15,,personally I would only use a Viper filter,, so now we are up to $67 with no labor,,no high heals,,no wigs,,no to-to's or barking like a dog,,,lol so for $40,,,who gets spanked,,, you ,maybe??,,,,lol :spank:

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've changed the oil my self and it was pretty easy, but the local Dodge dealer only charged me $10 labor when I provided him the oil and filter. He also lets me inspect under the car while it's on the lift. For $10 to let someone else do it AND I can check out the underside? I think that's a deal.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably supposed to be, but who knows if the tech who last did my change actually followed guidelines. If you guys know Warnock and you know Scott Saurentino, you know he's one of the best in the northeast, but the tech who worked on my car last time was not Scott. Could be why I was hosed all of a sudden by the dealer on the bill? Who knows, doesn't matter, easier to do it yourself.

Of course if someone could change it for $10 like they did for you, fever, I would jump on that in a heartbeat

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth