Oil Filter cover Needed

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past weekend while at WSIR a rock came up and hit my oil filter and put a small hole in the front side which sprayed oil on to the splitter and of course back on to the tires---a wild ride soon after. Lucky I still have my engine.
My thoughts are a shield of 30 guage sheet metal that is double wrapped around the filter with a clamp.
Just a heads up--If it happen once it could happen again!

Joe B

OP
OP
J

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Sonny.
I took a wild ride off on turn 5 and then turn 8 and came into the hot pits and dumped 3 qts of oil. I spent, with a good friend, 7-8 hours dismantiling and cleaning the car of oil and dirt. Besides a few rock chips only a crack in the Facia, amazing the splitter was undamaged. The engine had a good 6 quarts still in it so its fine.It will be good as new for Buttonwillow where me and the 98 car will go at it again!
It was good to see a lot of new faces this first race, I hope there are even more next event.

Joe (good as new) B

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Glad that you are okay and that this didn't happen at TMS. I bet it happened very fast when the oil starting dumping in front of your rear tires.

I remember reading somewhere about a piece of rubber that flew up and hit the kill switch on the front cowl and turned a CC off during a race. The switch was positioned so that anything hitting it from the front would push it into the off position. Is that still the way the switches are positioned, or has the switch been rotated to eliminate the possibility of that occuring again?

Newt

OP
OP
J

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes my switch is rotated 180 degrees so if anything hits it, its already in the on position. A lot of guys use a cover like what you would put on the fire bottle switch. You would have to lift the cover before operating the switch.

Joe B

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave