Oil Leaking (Maybe timing chain cover gasket?)

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small oil leak it shows up where the powersteering pump bolts on. (SEE PIC) It's not powersteering fluid (it's oil) and I got under the car while running and had a buddy play with the steering and the powersteering pump, lines, etc. was fine. (no leaks)

Here you can see where I am spoting oil:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I was under the car while running and didn't notice any oil but after I waited for 3 or so hours you could see oil at that powersteering pump:

My question is: Is this a timing chain cover gasket problem? Or something else?

I Looked up the timing problem and Jon B has a solution:

JonB's "FREE" Seeping gasket fix, for customers only:

1) Dont Do this During TRACK EVENTS

2) Find some HI MILEAGE SEAL CONDITIONING OIL as by Quaker State or Castrol. It is sold for "vehicles exceeding 100k miles" It is petrol based, NOT Synthetic.

3) Drain all engine oil, and fill your Viper with this oil; drive it a regularly, for a few hundered miles if possible. Even regular short trips are OK. Idling is even OK, but not as good. Oil Pressure over time is better.

4) You should see these leaks diminish and even STOP. T/C cover, rear main seal, etc. The usual culprits should STOP seeping.

5) Leave it in for a couple months or 1500 miles, and then switch back to Full Syn.

6) Repeat as needed, probably every 4th oil change. DONT TRACK "HI-MILEAGE" OIL. I have had several customers say "THANKS JonB' it WORKED! "

*** If you use this tip, and are NOT a PartsRack customer, your motor could implode.***

Looks good and Jon B has always been knowlegable. :2tu:What do you think?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have already ruled it out, but I had a similar leak show up on my car. It was the seal between the PS resivoir and the pump. The PS fluid would show up on the front of the engine and leak down on the front left. It would take a while to show up after running the car. I'm not sure if that area is under pressure, but I don't think so. With the tires up, there wasn't much pressure on the PS with someone turning the wheel so I don't know if I could have noticed what it looked like under load.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better Pics:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads