Oil Level on stock 2008

franchise

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok...so I have searched and have read the many threads and debates on how many quarts of oil to put in stock 2008 viper.

Yes...the owners manual says 10 quarts

Yes...yellow addendum card says 11 quarts.

i put in 11...and it shows OVERFILL on dipstick...

so what to follow-

Dipstick?
OR
ADDENDUM 11 quarts?

(did Dodge intend 10 but realize later that 11 is better and doesnt cause damage, but easier to do yelllow card than recall..?...)

thoughts...

(yes a dead horse)

thanks all!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but I assume you've started and run the motor after putting in 11 quarts? If you haven't there's a chance the oil filter might not be full, which is a good half quart that could be showing up in the pan to make the level look higher.

For my 2004 I just put in 11 and I've never worried about it. I've always heard 10.5 with a filter, so I figured a half quart extra wasn't going to make that much difference in a pan as large as the Viper's. They recommend a little bit extra on the gen 3s for tracking them anyway to prevent uncovering the sump since they don't have the swinging pickup from the later models.

OP
OP
F

franchise

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

It ended up being 10.5 quarts total. I decided using the dipstick was the best route as I do routinely check. It is perfectly at full on stick with 10.5.

All the best!