OK Guys, Do I HAVE to put 500 miles on them!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two heat cycles recommended by most vendors is the most critical.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two heat cycles recommended by most vendors is the most critical.
Thanks for Nothing Jack, Lol! Just Kidding Jack, I know & believe me its hard (I don't know how some guys don't forget about it though) & git down on it a lil' bit', I know I've caught myself before I realized its a no-no just yet! What's so bad is my car doesn't have but 11k miles on it & I'm trying to put 500 more on it as FAST AS I CAN! Lol!

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When unitrax put my 3:73 in they said I could give it a little gas every once and awhile just not a full blown rowing through the gears... But after 2 heat cycles and 300 or more miles you will be fine

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys (300 miles it is then, my guy went thru the heat cycles before I even picked her up), I forgot to mention that everybody was right (about putting the 3.55's in) that I would say WHY did I wait so long. I LOVE THEM (I know, for you that already have them this is no surprise)! I know most guys go with the 3.55's more so than the 3.73's (but I really don't think the 3.73's would have been to low, at least not for what I use my car for). This will be A lot more Fun now, right before VOI if I decide to drive there with one of the caravans (will probably spend a lil' more on gas though) may drive one way & trailer the other, either way its gonna be ALOT MORE FUN NOW! jmo

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys (300 miles it is then, my guy went thru the heat cycles before I even picked her up),

I've read that in addition to no wide open throttle in the first 300 miles, you should not do any towing in the first 500 miles. Just sayin'...

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given your listed location, I assume that you must have a nice bass boat that might need to be taken to the lake quickly !
Jim, you're right about the (Ouachita River is in my back yard) but I Don't Fish (Go Figure)! Well not enough to own a bass boat (my brother lives right around the bend) & we'll either use his boat or some of the other guys around here if we go, but not enough to justify owning one. A couple of my buddies have Cigarette Boats & we usually take them & the jet ski's when we go. We actually have a camp grounds right down the road (where some people actually live but most people either drive their motor homes or pull their campers for a weekend or maybe a week to go fishing or hunting). That's pretty bad when you live in Sportstman's Paradise & don't Hunt or Fish! jmo

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55's and exhaust are the two must do items on a GEN II. By the way, I hammered my car immediately after the install. If your stock Viper breaks the gears, they sold you garbage gears.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55's and exhaust are the two must do items on a GEN II. By the way, I hammered my car immediately after the install. If your stock Viper breaks the gears, they sold you garbage gears.
Cam, I got the so called All-American Hardened Steel Ones from JonB if that means Anything (I heard they're SUPPOSE to be the BEST)!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I hammered my car immediately after the install.

You are quite obviously smarter than the engineer that designed the gears, and the combined experience of many others that went into the break-in procedure.

:rolleyes:

Viper breaks the gears, they sold you garbage gears.

Another brilliant statement. The break-in procedure does not prevent the gears from breaking. It is a hardening process whereby the risk of increased noise later from improper break-in, will cause premature wear. Just what do you think that noise is?

Moral of story: Most engineers and parts designers are complete idiots and the average car enthusiast is gifted.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave I forgot to tell you, you were right (its been a good while back, so you might not remember) but since I put the 3.55's in it's so much easier just going thru parking lots & such, it doesn't do all that lunging back & forth like it used to. jmo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456