ooops!

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put too much oil in the motor, got a big waft of smoke and the oil got chucked back
out through the inlet and out of my air filters,
I didnt do milage and got it all cleaned out, strange thing is??? I have a catch can setup
Its been on 5 years, and there was not a drop of oil in it, or in the pipe
that connected to the can????
any ideas here?

OP
OP
S

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the oil was below the bottom marker, i put 1 litre in, my band new air filters look like gloop.

Im a ****, the engine was cold

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the oil was below the bottom marker, i put 1 litre in, my band new air filters look like gloop.

Im a ****, the engine was cold

Something doesn't sound right...I'm suprised 1L would make it blow out like that at low rpms.

I do know that you can put 5 gallons of motor oil in a 1989 Chevy 350 V-8 pickup truck and the truck will start with no ill effects. Mechanic accidently put the fill dial to "5" and didn't notice that it was for 5 gallons and not quarts. I'm sure there would have been bigger problems if the truck had been revved up.

Good luck,
George

OP
OP
S

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt actually fly out, I got a smoke cloud when i took it out, stopped and restarted, about 1 mile, when i looked in the car today,
there was a small puddle of oil in the air filter tray, i took of the throttle body and there was a line of oil at the recessed front
edge of the inlet, I mopped it all up, its all ok now, but why is the catch can not catching?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question about the catch can...maybe snap some pics of the set in detail. I'm sure there is somebody on the forum that will be able to spot the issue right away.

Look on the bright side, your valves and top end is nicely lubricated!!

Cheers,
George

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO ! :lmao:
Good question about the catch can...maybe snap some pics of the set in detail. I'm sure there is somebody on the forum that will be able to spot the issue right away.

Look on the bright side, your valves and top end is nicely lubricated!!

Cheers,
George

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That definitely doesn't make any sense. I run 1 qt over full all the time at the track and have never had any issues. Yes, the catch can fills up quicker when tracking with extra oil in the car, but that's what supposed to happen. If you were at the bottom marker and added basically a qt, that should be just right. Something else is going on if that's all that was in there and blew out the intake (and bypassed the catch can).

OP
OP
S

sssammm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Ok, the drivers side Valve cover vents through to the catch can, the passenger side vents under and into the underside of the Inlet manifold

Started up the car just now, not a sign of any smoke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R