Open trailering a GTS..w/ car cover???

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are moving from Socal to Austin and I will be towing my 97 GTS behind my Yukon Denali on a rented open trailer. We are going to drive straight through so I wont have to leave it in a hotel parking lot but I had a question. I am thinking there is no way that I could have the stock GTS car cover on to protect the car because the wind would get under it and pull it off. I want to check with the experts first though. Is this what you guys think?

Thanks,
Mike

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way to have a cover on it......the wind will buffet it constantly and could cause damage to the paint IF the cover stays on when going down the road !!!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worse, the cover goes flying and the dude behind you wrecks causing a 10-car pile-up on the interstate. If you do run a cover, install a camera on the back of the GTS... when it flies off, capture the carnage.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen it done for trailering; but, many people use 3M blue painter's tape to protect their cars at HPDE track events. It sticks well enough to stay on; but, easy to remove if you don't leave it on for a long time. You could put it on the leading surfaces; if that is what you are worried about. It probably wouldn't hold up to rain; but, except for the recent storms; there is probably low probability of encountering water enroute.

I don't see how it really would protect against a serious rock; but, you could put duct tape on top of the painter's tape for a thicker protection. I have driven a lot of miles on the interstate; and have not had any issues that made me think that I need protection.

I'd think that it would be high enough on the trailer to be out of the path for debris from your truck's tires ?

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do NOT trailer with a cover on it.

If you are concerned about nicking the paint just tape the car up with blue painters tape for the ride like some do when they track it.

Last edited:

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know when you're leaving, but right now we're in the middle of storm season in Tornado alley. It's not likely you'll run into a tornado, but if you see storm clouds with a light green hue, watch out, that's hail! It's a long way across the desert and if you run into a storm there's no place to hide. Take some extra blankets to cover your car with in case you need them.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are moving from Socal to Austin and I will be towing my 97 GTS behind my Yukon Denali on a rented open trailer. We are going to drive straight through so I wont have to leave it in a hotel parking lot but I had a question. I am thinking there is no way that I could have the stock GTS car cover on to protect the car because the wind would get under it and pull it off. I want to check with the experts first though. Is this what you guys think?

Thanks,
Mike

Stop by your local RV Dealer and get yourself one of those bumper debri sweeps/mud flaps like those you see hanging behind the rear wheels on RVs. It stretches across the bottom width of your SUV and catches everything the tires spit up. :2tu:
NO COVER :nono:
If your coming thru NM drop me a note, we would be happy to put you up for the night or maybe just your car if you would rather get a nice hotel room so you don't have to drive straight through...

OP
OP
G

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That confirmed what I thought. It is only about 1400 miles and my dad and I are driving so we can alternate sleeping so it shouldn't be too bad. I certainly appreciate the ideas and Sniper1 that is a VERY nice gesture and is greatly appreciated but I think we should make it. I will have my car cover and some extra blankets in the event we see anthing on the horizon.

Mike

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense. On a trailer the car is higher which lessens the chances of rocks hitting it. Also the pulling vehicle takes the rock hits and clears a path for the trailered vehicle.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i open trailored my old car what i did was get some of that heavy duty industrial shrink wrap that is usually used for packaging and shipping (the stuff they use to shrink wrap items on skids). I wrapped the front of the car to help prevent rock chips or debris. I think it worked great.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cover it at night when you park at the motel. Roll up and stow the cover during transport. People love to look at Vipers on open trailers going down the road. Beware - they will hang back gawking at the car and not pay attention to their driving.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I open trailered my from Little Rock to Vegas and now it looks like the windshield and front bumber cover were hit by a sandblaster. I called Gary Almond and had it moved when I came to Texas. The price of a new windshield and painting the front of the car is easily twice what I paid Gary...do the math.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,
Mike

We had an open trailer behind our motorhome for 2 years (until we purchased our Viper) and built a deflector for the front of it. We trailered our Daytona to Ontario and back (4800 miles per trip) 3 times. Hauled a 70 Road Runner from Pittsburg, PA to Red Deer, Alberta and never had a rock chip or a mark on either car (they just ended up real dirty on some of the trips). But like everyone has told you NO cover!!! If it did stay on it would skuff your paint. I also never ran a splash guard, as my feeling was it could flip a rock up and over my deflector. It was made out of aluminum and was about 36 in. high. It was about 3 feet straight across the center of the front and both sides were tapered back at about 30 degrees to deflect any debris that might come off the tow vehicles tires.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had an open trailer behind our motorhome for 2 years (until we purchased our Viper) and built a deflector for the front of it. We trailered our Daytona to Ontario and back (4800 miles per trip) 3 times. Hauled a 70 Road Runner from Pittsburg, PA to Red Deer, Alberta and never had a rock chip or a mark on either car (they just ended up real dirty on some of the trips). But like everyone has told you NO cover!!! If it did stay on it would skuff your paint. I also never ran a splash guard, as my feeling was it could flip a rock up and over my deflector. It was made out of aluminum and was about 36 in. high. It was about 3 feet straight across the center of the front and both sides were tapered back at about 30 degrees to deflect any debris that might come off the tow vehicles tires.
I found a photo of loaded trailer.

Last edited:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't put a cover on it unless you want to repaint the car after you arrive to your destination. The cover will flail up and down from the wind and rip the paint right off your car at the edges.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense. On a trailer the car is higher which lessens the chances of rocks hitting it. Also the pulling vehicle takes the rock hits and clears a path for the trailered vehicle.

Chuck:

logic would say you are right, but, the proximity of the driving wheels (they create the issue) on the tow vehicle makes it far worse - I made the mistake of not putting a fairing on my first trailer and I paid for it in spades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4