Other then BLING BLING what's the benefit of clamshell hood?

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay I get two more then BLING - it gets repairs more expensive in fender bender type of collision and if you forget to lock it won't pop up :lmao:

Seriously, I can't imagine hassle of having clamshell working on my SRT-10. So GenI+II owners, could you chime in what's the secret here?

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If for some reason you have to work on the engine, You don't have to worry about scrathing the fenders with covers or blankets. Engine is more out in the open, Easier to work on.:D:D

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If for some reason you have to work on the engine, You don't have to worry about scrathing the fenders with covers or blankets. Engine is more out in the open, Easier to work on.:D:D

That would be the main functional reason. Especially if the new one opens a bit wider than the Gen 2.

I also like it because it is another thing that makes a Viper different from other cars.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a classic hood. Few other cars have this and it just looks so darn cool. The lines in the car get much smoother and it flows so nicely. I remember when gen 3 came out I was really disappointed that the clamshell was gone. It was one of the appeals of the Viper.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it. I had experienced these when I had the C4 Vettes. Working on them will be easier but none of us will appreciate the higher insurance premiums this design will incur.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's the cool factor, as well. Having grown up in a car with a clamshell hood (er...bonnet...my mother's '71 Jag E-type V12), they always fascinated me. However, it is very expensive.....

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, it is very expensive.....

More expensive than what? Lets compare apples to apples. A clamshell hood Includes the front fenders.
A hood AND two front fenders all done separately in CF would cost more than just doing them in one mold with one support.

Sure the original 1990's clamshell hood was expensive to make for many reasons but remember that technology has significantly progressed since then. I was talking to the president of the carbonfiber manufacture that makes our new hood at the unvail gala. I should have brought up the original 90's process to make the clamshell, Im sure he would have had a good laugh...:rolaugh:
I did try to convince him to make a CF hood for the Gen2 for us. As far as i know the G5 design is superior to any aftermarket offering for the Gen1/2's. The thin CF shell over a CF support allows everything to be very thin and light.

none of us will appreciate the higher insurance premiums this design will incur.

I think the high insurance premium comment is a myth.
Take a 2002 GTS and compare an insurance quote to a 2003 with the same book value... You think the GTS insurance will be more expensive cause it has a clamshell?

Also, to put thinks in perspective. I pay more to fillup my GTS's tank than it costs for my monthly insurance(full coverage).
Then again... that might not matter to some of you who just stare at your pretty cars sitting in your garage with year-old fuel.;)

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The clamshell hood is part of the Viper's unique charm.

I like the slightly off-beat uniqueness of my Viper
1. Clamshell hood
2. Offset pedals
3. opposite side shoulder belts
4. V10, not V8 (That's two better!) :)
5. Side engine vents

Differences like these make the Viper special, in the annals of automotive hissss-tory!

But take all these differences away, and you get a Vette.

Viva la difference!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it. I had experienced these when I had the C4 Vettes. Working on them will be easier but none of us will appreciate the higher insurance premiums this design will incur.

Well, let's face it. It doesn't take much for insurance companies to come up with an excuse to raise premiums.

"Oh, you have two sets of keys? That'll cost you more."
"Oh, your car has wheels? That'll cost you more."
"A radiator? That'll cost you more."
"Your cousin had a baby? Good for him! Let me recalculate your rates...Uh oh."

Must be nice to be the CEO of an industry whose product the government requires everyone to purchase.