Overheating problem.. any of you guru's know the answer?

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Overheating problem.. any of you guru\'s know the answer?

Here's the deal. I've used the search function and still can't find an answer.
The car was running fine (190 range) I took it in today for a new tranny and clutch, when i got the car out the car did not go below the 225 mark (the mark prior to the redline) and in traffic it crept pretty damn close to the red-overheating mark. I tried bleeding the system a couple times tonight using different techniques discussed on the boards and it is to no avail. The temperatures are still hovering around the 225 mark and will not go down. Take into mind that my weather is low 60's high 50's outside. I am wondering if something might have gotten kinked when they changed the transmission? (ie: the engine tilted backwards)or the thermostat might have suddenly become stuck?
I have also noticed that the fan does not kick in till the temperature is above the 225 mark and shuts off when it hits the 225 mark.. what the heck is going on? I was thinking perhaps the high/low relay for the fan has taken a dump as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated.. the car is a '94.
The positive side of things are that the new transmission is kicking ass and I love the b&m shifter that i had installed.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Overheating problem.. any of you guru\'s know the answer?

what does the dealer say that repaired it?i would take it back to them
Max

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I tried burping hoses last night. I was able to get a little air out of the system, the heater works fine (so waterpump seems to be working). I have Never had the car run this hot before. :(

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yup craig..

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The fan should not shut off when it hits the 225 mark

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What radiator cap do you have on it? If it's a stock one, it's silver and has a drop center valve. Replace it with a 2001'ish cap (a black top and a spring center).

This is related to air getting in the system.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ha, sounds like the gauge lost its calibration, but i have no idea what could be wrong with the car, hopefully you can get this sorted out

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I live on the northern coast.. it is a hot day if we hit 70 degrees outside. The cap is a stock cap. I am wondering if the low fan speed relay might be out? Reading my service manual it says that the low fan is sposed to kick on at around 208 or so (don't remember the exact number without looking it up) anyways.. the high speed is sposed to kick in at 225 or so which it is doing.

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was wondering if the guages ever lose calibration that fast? is there something to reset?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I live on the northern coast.. it is a hot day if we hit 70 degrees outside. The cap is a stock cap. I am wondering if the low fan speed relay might be out? Reading my service manual it says that the low fan is sposed to kick on at around 208 or so (don't remember the exact number without looking it up) anyways.. the high speed is sposed to kick in at 225 or so which it is doing.

That is a VERY good possiblity, My 96's went out without me knowing, and it also cause the A/C to blow a few seals. Ended up replacing most of the A/C system to include the fan and sensor. That goodness for warranty coverage :)

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was running really hot also, never overheated, just HOT! Took car in and had a 3 row aluminum radiator, new fan, 170 degree thermostat and new hoses installed. Burped the system 6 times and dropped the temp 25 degrees!! Car runs much better. Yeah it was expensive but it works and works really well. :D