Owning A Viper, Driving in Pa on a Cold Day

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was really cold today in Phila but dry and I decided to take the Viper out to blow the dust off. I must say it's the first time I really felt the "Viper like bite" experience. The car had alot of problems hooking up at each light to the point where I just laid my shoe gentley on the accelerator to get her to move. Kinda neat, kinda scary but soooooo Viper!

It seems we have several forum members switching their Vipers for other model cars. XLR-Vs, M-Benz's, BMWs etc. I with them all well. For me the experience of owning and driving a Viper is really like a vacation, a release, a joy. The car is simply awesome. Sure it might be a bit slower than the new Z but who cares? I don't race light to light anyway and I am certain 90% of the forum members are the same. It's the look, the feel, the ride, the power, the smell, the exclusivity, that makes Viper ownership so much fun. I simply can't wait for the warmth of spring, the sun, the open air driving, the Viper experience..... So good luck to those deparing, and for the Viper brothers that remain completely captivated by our cars spring comes March 21st. :2tu:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I totally agree!

I've been out twice with the top down in January (IA had some very unusual weather). There is too much salt on the road to take it out lately. I just love the way the Viper makes me feel. The Viper strikes me as what the Corvette would now be like if Zora Duntov successors were more like him!! I guess that's why I am so thrilled with mine.

I can barely imagine going to an XLR-V or sedan unless they were your intended winter car.

As far as the Z06, no convertible takes it completely out of the running for me. Also note that if you listen to GM adding up what they say it would need structurally to be a convertible, the Z06 in a convertible would weigh MORE than a Viper!!

The Viper has enough power for me and I love having a 7/70 powertrain warranty. I plan to run it out on miles!!

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hibernation,along with his Snake,no doubt.Hey Turbo,agree with your comments; some defectors among us!Seriously,I too wish them well,but for me there's nothing quite like a Viper!Careful in those cold temps,my friend;as you discovered,we have to go easy on the throttle in those conditions.It's not exactly warm down here at the moment,though last week was nice!Here's to an early spring!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Felt the same way. Took the Viper out this evening for a nice drive since it was in the garage for the last several weeks. Felt good to drive!!

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the car cover off the Viper earlier in the week to get the break in oil change done. It was a beautiful day and enjoyed the ride. We had beautiful weather the last few days and now it's snowing in parts of the Bay Area!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a believer in storing the car away all winter. Here on Long Island we have had a mild winter up until last weekend. Even that snow is all gone as it was followed up by 3 days of 50+ weather. I've been out virtually ever weekend at some point. It's mental therapy..

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car had alot of problems hooking up at each light to the point where I just laid my shoe gentley on the accelerator to get her to move. Kinda neat, kinda scary but soooooo Viper!

You must have a very high powered Viper to not be able to drive from light to light in the city without almost loosing her sideways. is if possible that you were skating on the cinders used in the city of brotherly love?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's just the effect cold road surfaces and colder tires have on traction combined with a slight hp increase with colder denser air. I love the way you can hear the air **** into the NACA intake when the Viper is on in the colder air.

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys AMEN!!!! Austin, I decided to punt on the hardtop. The Autoform guys were/are great but when I thought about it and the fact that pretty much form late march through Oct I love taking the top down. The economics of the hardtop are great but I just didn't want the hassle of installing/removing and storing. Regarding the hook-up the temps in Pa have been the 40's and even hit the 60's in the past 30 days. This weekend has been the coldest yet (yesterday morning and today in the low teens). I didnt go sideways, the tires just wouldn't catch under normal acceleration patterns. I stay away from the cinders on the road so that wasn't the issue. My point was since I have owned her (late Aug) I never experienced traction issues until yesterday and I drive her like a VIPER!!!

LETS KEEP OUR FORUM PURE --- ONLY VIPER RELATED STUFF ON THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM!!!! LETS BE THINKING WARMER TEMPS, ZANO, OPEN AIR DRIVING, THE SOUND OF OUR EXHAUSTS, THE SMELL OF THE ENGINE, THE BIG SMILES ON OUR FACES......!!! :2tu:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cold air temps, cold pavement, and tires caused your traction problem....temps. under 45 degrees and a little too much go pedal...make for spinning at will

be carefull in colder temps. the viper does bite back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62