Pad Cleaning

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman/Synergy/Thompson Racing,

My Universal Pad Washing bucket arrived, what's the general rule of thumb for pad cleaning.....why, when, frequency :dunno: Can I use a pad all weekend without cleaning it?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Jman talks about this in his multi-part series on pad cleaning....start here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMMKe2PPjY4[/media]

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I clean my pads every time after use! If you let the compound set up, it's harder to remove. You do not want dry compound on your pads. I use the All Purpose Cleaner to clean the pads. Those machines are super nice, I have two in stock, but can't justify buying one for myself quite yet.

If you don't have a machine, scrub them really well with APC and and rinse really well. Trick from AJ: put the pads, face out in the drier. On no/low heat, cycle for a few minutes and pull the water out. Leave them upside down to dry completely.

I have at least two pads per color. That way I have one set ready while the other set dries.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh, and congrats on the purchase!

You can use the pad all weekend, but I'm anal with mine and keep them in bags if they're not upside down and drying. Don't let dirt get on the face overnight. Maybe set the pads face down on paper.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For drying I put them back on the polisher and turn it on and you get the bulk of the water out of the pad.

Bruce

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The downfall to that is water goes everywhere. The machine is nice in that it contains the water and has a spring loaded Grit Guard too.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman/Synergy/Thompson Racing,

My Universal Pad Washing bucket arrived, what's the general rule of thumb for pad cleaning.....why, when, frequency :dunno: Can I use a pad all weekend without cleaning it?

It depends on how much you will be using the pad. If you use 3 pea sized drops (less is more!) of your product each application and spray the pad lightly with detail spray, then you will be able to use it a lot longer. It also helps to have an extra pad handy so you dont have to wait any longer then you have too. Instead of washing then drying your pad, simply switch them then carry on!

Junkman literally has a video about almost every question about detailing. Search around and you will be amazed!!! :hypno:

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clean my pads every time after use! If you let the compound set up, it's harder to remove. You do not want dry compound on your pads. I use the All Purpose Cleaner to clean the pads. Those machines are super nice, I have two in stock, but can't justify buying one for myself quite yet.

If you don't have a machine, scrub them really well with APC and and rinse really well. Trick from AJ: put the pads, face out in the drier. On no/low heat, cycle for a few minutes and pull the water out. Leave them upside down to dry completely.

I have at least two pads per color. That way I have one set ready while the other set dries.

Guess I should read before I post, you nailed it :headbang:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on how much you will be using the pad. If you use 3 pea sized drops (less is more!) of your product each application and spray the pad lightly with detail spray, then you will be able to use it a lot longer. It also helps to have an extra pad handy so you dont have to wait any longer then you have too. Instead of washing then drying your pad, simply switch them then carry on!

Junkman literally has a video about almost every question about detailing. Search around and you will be amazed!!! :hypno:

Thanks guys, you're right I should've searched first :) Searching can be fun, after all my search the other day for pistol grip shift knob turned up some cool gun collections.

I do have two sets of pads, one new, and one I set I used Labor Day weekend, and have yet to clean :omg: which is what prompted my question. I too, must be anal because when not in use the pads were in zip-lock bags, and still are. I was wondering if the used set should be discarded, or if I had a chance to bring them back by cleaning...with my new toy.

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My research has led me to a new word :) "Spurring" - To spur buffing pads. This removes dry/built-up compounds from buffing pads....... homework finished :D

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you're right I should've searched first :) Searching can be fun, after all my search the other day for pistol grip shift knob turned up some cool gun collections.

Don't get AJ started on guns! Might have to do a day at the range after the detail clinic this spring. I'm a range officer, so can rent the range anytime!

I was wondering if the used set should be discarded, or if I had a chance to bring them back by cleaning...with my new toy.

I don't know who's pads you're using, but the Adam's pads are really durable. They last me a long time and I beat them up. You will see them start to fall apart on the edges. Then they are done. But I save sh**ty pads for sh**ty cars, like my gfs!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While on a tangent:

Note: Keep your guns and girlfriends(wife) far away from AJ! Failure to do so can result in loss of either.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While on a tangent:

Note: Keep your guns and girlfriends(wife) far away from AJ! Failure to do so can result in loss of either.

Good Lord... that will probably cost me a few steals now that the word is out! Thanks Eric! :D

A lot of good post guys. You just about covered it. One correction though on drying the pads. What I do is place the pads in the WASHER, face out on the spin cycle to flush out the majority of the water. Then I dry them on a wire rack, face down. Also, spinning the pads with the polisher is another way to do it, although spinning them too fast could cause the backing to loose some amount of grab. When you do it this way, stick the pad and machine in a 5 gallon bucket so that you don't get wet.

As Eric stated, you can't beat the advantage in performance of the pads that you get from cleaning your pads at the end of every detailing session. This not only gets the pads cleaner, but also greatly reduces the amount of dusting that you will experience on your next use of the pads. The pads come a lot cleaner when you address them immediately after detailing. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know who's pads you're using, but the Adam's pads are really durable.

The Junkman and his videos turned me onto Adam's Polishes and there full line of detailing products. So far, I've spent ~1,500.00 on Adam's products and am very pleased with the results. I'm new to the hot rod hobby and understand there are a lot of good brands out there, but so far I am very pleased with Adam's Polishes products and customer service :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I hope you used my discount code to save you some ducks! :cool:

Sure Did :D Thank you, for the discount and lessons learned. Brother in a Garage Productions have been very very helpful. :2tu:

Time to clean the pads and try again, I missed some spots last time, well first time to clay/polish a car.

As a Newb I learned two good lessons last time:

1) The pad is your friend, let it work as designed :) I didn't let the pad work as well as I should have, too much pressure was causing my pad mark to not always rotate as well as it should.

2) Lighting... Lighting, did I mention Lighting? After ~15 hours polishing in the garage it looked great, the spots I missed were obvious in sunlight :(

Fortunately, I consider this a fun part of the hobby :smirk:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look fixed to me! ;)

That bit about the pad. Those are the types of things that you learn with practice, if you don't follow exactly what I show in the videos. It is sometimes hard to wrap your mind around a "technique" but that is the secret to being successful in a lot of physical activities. Two that come to mind for me are baseball and golf. One would think that if one guy can bench 600lbs, then he should be able to hit a golf ball or baseball further than a guy who can only bench 200lbs, because he's stronger. Of course, those of us who can play golf or baseball know that this is as far from the truth as you can be. Hitting a ball far in both of those sports is totally dependent on the technique of your swing. You can be strong as a horse but if your swing technique *****, so will your hitting distance.

Technique. I can't stress it enough. Thank you for stressing it too. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I would like to jump on a plane tomorrow and scrub you're truck :D Unfortunately, I don't qualify as pro yet. How about I practice up on my own tow rig first. :) Maybe I'll qualify as "Pro" this time next year, and catch a plane then ;)

Last edited:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the rig! What brand hood is that? The plan is to get AJ and I out to VOI this year. It was straight up too busy last year. Tell the guys who schedule it not to do it the same weekend as Shakedown or any ADRL race and I'll be there!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the rig! What brand hood is that? The plan is to get AJ and I out to VOI this year. It was straight up too busy last year. Tell the guys who schedule it not to do it the same weekend as Shakedown or any ADRL race and I'll be there!

Now that would be killer! :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Eric, I'll have to contact my body shop for the brand/source of hood, all I recall is them saying it was a "Calloway" style. It is all metal and looks OEM both in fitment and under hood structure. I'll shoot you a PM when I get the details.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope the schedules mesh, as I hope to make the next VOI. You guys might want to also consider Regional Viper Day events :)

AJ will be @ our shop on 16APR for the PA/WV Detail Clinic. We had one in Sep and had a decent turnout. Hopefully the spring will bring out a lot more Vipers. Mark you calendars!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62