Paging JUNKMAN.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Junkman...I had a newbie question for you. My car has been sitting over the winter covered. I did a two bucket wash, dried, and clayed the whole car before I put her into winter hibernation. Long story short I want to pick up where I left off with my polishing. Would this be o.k. to do or do I need to go through the whole wash process again? Or would a spray on car wash do this trick and then pick up polishing after that.

Here is a link to the thread I started on my Paint correction which will give you some background.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/646033-Paint-Correction-2001-Sapphire-RT-10

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has been under a cover and only has light dust at best a quick waterless wash type wash is all you need. No need to re do the entire complete wash process again.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. One other question has come to mind. WIll temperature effect polishing? Will the cooler temps in march be bad or should it not matter.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Temp isn't an issue, relatively speaking. Cold cold temps arn't the best. The whole thing behind buffing and polishing is heat, what you are doing is melting the clear coat back into the scratches one step at a time till they are invisible. When paint dryes its a form of plastic.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Temp isn't an issue, relatively speaking. Cold cold temps arn't the best. The whole thing behind buffing and polishing is heat, what you are doing is melting the clear coat back into the scratches one step at a time till they are invisible. When paint dryes its a form of plastic.

Sorry, I am going to have to disagree with the whole paint melting theory. Basically when you polish you are rounding off the edges of the scratches making it harder for the light to catch them and in essence harder to see or in some case removing a small layer of clear coat to the level where the scratch is so it is gone. Temp does come into play a little bit but mostly it causes the solvents in the polish flash at a certain temp. When it is too hot this happens too soon and too cold not soon enough. It is more of a mechanical abrasion that causes the polishing effect.

There are some new clear bras that will melt and the scratches will go away with heat and they are even working on a paint that is similar but it is not on our Vipers.

When polishing especially with a rotary you want to stop and feel the paint once in a while, you do not want it to get too hot or you could burn the paint easier. Warm to touch is OK. Obviously if it get really hot out in the sun the paint does not melt and if you are getting it that hot when polishing you are in trouble.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I am going to have to disagree with the whole paint melting theory. Basically when you polish you are rounding off the edges of the scratches making it harder for the light to catch them and in essence harder to see or in some case removing a small layer of clear coat to the level where the scratch is so it is gone. Temp does come into play a little bit but mostly it causes the solvents in the polish flash at a certain temp. When it is too hot this happens too soon and too cold not soon enough. It is more of a mechanical abrasion that causes the polishing effect.

There are some new clear bras that will melt and the scratches will go away with heat and they are even working on a paint that is similar but it is not on our Vipers.

When polishing especially with a rotary you want to stop and feel the paint once in a while, you do not want it to get too hot or you could burn the paint easier. Warm to touch is OK. Obviously if it get really hot out in the sun the paint does not melt and if you are getting it that hot when polishing you are in trouble.

Hey Agentf1, we should line up the Lightning and the Dak R/T..............I'll bring the "heat" you bring the "rounding" LOL

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Agentf1, we should line up the Lightning and the Dak R/T..............I'll bring the "heat" you bring the "rounding" LOL

Dakota does not stand a chance. :smirk: Lightning is wicked if you can put it to the ground.

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What you should do totally depends on the type of cover you use on your car as well as whether or not the car has been sitting in a covered garage or out doors. If outdoors, you always wash. Remember, I take things in to consideration using common sense as my rule of measure. Here's the deal.

If the cover that you use allows dust to get through to the paint, then not only is it not a good cover but that car is going to need to be washed. A cover should breath but NOT allow dust to get through. Wiping the dust off with a quick detailer is what I call "making sandpaper". Unless the dust is recent, very light and can be removed with a light dusting using a California Duster (as I do in my dust removal videos), then that dust is going to become sandpaper as you start wiping it off the car. This is what creates the very beginning stages of swirls. Look at this close up picture of swirls. They are not scratches that go in a circle, they are scratches that go in straight lines, at every possible angle there is.

You must be registered for see images

So what should you do? WASH IT AGAIN. The dust has been sitting on your car for no telling how long and the fluctuation of temperatures will cause the dust to become matted to the clear coat. That is a perfect recipe for creating scratches if you try to remove that dust with a quick detailer.

Sorry, I am going to have to disagree with the whole paint melting theory. Basically when you polish you are rounding off the edges of the scratches making it harder for the light to catch them and in essence harder to see or in some case removing a small layer of clear coat to the level where the scratch is so it is gone.

That's almost 100% correct but allow me to add this. The rounding off of the edges only happens with milder polishes and less powerful buffers. You are still removing layers of the clear coat regardless of the polish or machine that you are using, although it will be miniscule with a light polish and a machine like the PC. With the proper machine, polish and technique, you are shaving the clear coat off the car and bringing it to a level just BELOW the scratches the scratches, which is how you properly remove the scratches.

Temp does come into play a little bit but mostly it causes the solvents in the polish flash at a certain temp. When it is too hot this happens too soon and too cold not soon enough. It is more of a mechanical abrasion that causes the polishing effect.

I agree.

The only experience I have with clear bras is with the 3M brand. I have worked with and spoke with only the engineers from that company. There is no "melting" with that brand of clear bra. You actually treat it like paint and use wet sanding techniques to fix damage to their clear bras.

I agree. But most importantly, you should develop a solid technique with a rotary so that burning the paint is not an issue. This is why I never make videos on using a rotary. People get the technique I use with a PC wrong no matter how many times I stress the technique in my video. Thus, a rotary video would be a disaster for a lot of folks.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is Xpel that has the self healing film out now. Saw a video demonstration on the web, really impressive.

The rounding of the edges is more a quality of say a Porter Cable ROB which are very safe for all levels of usersand it just orbits and spins free. The removing of a layer of CC is more the quality of a Rotary or a Flex 3401 Forced Rotation ROB, both of which should be used by more experienced detailers. OF course like the Junkman said, there is also varying strengths of polishes also which go from compound to mild swirl removers which can determine what type of cut and amount of paint you are removing. I don't recommend the harsh compounds when using the PC ROB, at least not by novist.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is Xpel that has the self healing film out now. Saw a video demonstration on the web, really impressive.

The rounding of the edges is more a quality of say a Porter Cable ROB which are very safe for all levels of usersand it just orbits and spins free. The removing of a layer of CC is more the quality of a Rotary or a Flex 3401 Forced Rotation ROB, both of which should be used by more experienced detailers. OF course like the Junkman said, there is also varying strengths of polishes also which go from compound to mild swirl removers which can determine what type of cut and amount of paint you are removing. I don't recommend the harsh compounds when using the PC ROB, at least not by novist.

I agree. The variations of compound and polishes to machine polishing is why I suggest a novice keep it simple. You can expand on your learning AFTER you get a basic understanding. A basic understanding is a must.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Junkman, I'm wanting to polish my billet wheels. What buffer would you recommend I buy to get the job done? I always want to polish other billet items later (engine strips on intake). Thanks!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a polisher, I would either use a drill with a angle attachment or a Mother's Powerball. If the wheels are painted and clear coated, you would need to be careful with the drill. If painted only, I would do them by hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth