Painting the black trim piece in the rocker???

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My drivers side rocker comes back tomorrow from paint and it is going to be brand spanking new. The pass. side is in beautiful condition so I didn't have it painted, but there are a few "chips" on the black trim part. The body shop said that it is a standard "flat black trim paint" so I did some searching and see that it is sold in spray cans. Has anyone successfully just lightly sprayed the black areas of the rocker to make them look perfect again? I know some use a sharpie but that won't cut a ton of very very tiny road chip'ies. Just wondering, otherwise guess I'll just live with it until that side needs repainting as well, I just hate to get it totally redone when it is in such nice shape except for where there is a little rash on the black.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id assume doing anything but the right way wont look quite right. id leave it alone till the next time around and you wanna have it done right. you might make it looks worse

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum, you could be right that is why I was asking, it looks perfect except for the very bottom you can only see looking under the car (I know I'm anal), maybe I'll just do the marker trick :dunno: Anyone tried it?

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my car in August, the paint there was flaking off and since I am repainting it this winter I figured I'd try to fix it temporarily myself. I taped it off, scuffed it up, and sprayed it with some high temp flat black and it turned out fine.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're the anal type you may not like the marker idea. You'll see a different sheen as the light hits it certain ways ... but nobody else will see it.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my car in August, the paint there was flaking off and since I am repainting it this winter I figured I'd try to fix it temporarily myself. I taped it off, scuffed it up, and sprayed it with some high temp flat black and it turned out fine.

By fine do you mean just ok but needs to be redone by a pro, or looked like factory? If so I may attempt it.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, if you prep it right no one will know the difference. Flat black is one of the easiest colors to rattle can.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks c.hermsen, that is what I was thinking. I removed and did my dash that way and it turned out great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth