Paxton Questions

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told that just adding a Paxton Supercharger to the engine as a bolt on is a major problem waiting to happen without rebuilding or changing components to the engine. Is this true? I am a completely clueless to this kind of stuff and a friend of mine recently purchased a SRT with a Paxton Supercharger and is now freaking out because he thinks the car is going to blow up on him. He wants to now sell the car and I said wait a minute and let me find out what is the story is, so this leads me to this post. We were able to find out the car had the following modifications after tracking down the installer:

Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger
Fuel system management system
Dual fuel pumps
ECU piggyback
Liquid cooled Intercooler

Does this sound good? Are we just over reacting? I feel like a ***** asking these questions but this area is not something I am very familar with.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean to tell me he bought the car without knowing the specific upgrades were done to the car before hand? He bought it knowing it had a paxton and is now freaking out about it after the fact?? Wow. Some people should not own vipers.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, his friend bought the car. Probably thought it was neat that it was supercharged. Then he, not the friend, was told that just adding a Paxton is a major problem waiting to happen. He told his friend what he heard and now his friend is freaking out that it's going to blow up.

Maybe he didn't know what questions to ask. Maybe he just assumed that the work was done thoroughly. We can't know everything about everything unless we know what to ask. How many of us bought a Viper and wrapped it around a tree within the first couple hundred miles because we didn't know just how bad a beast it is? It's a cool looking car and must be fun to drive, right? :)

Bob

Last edited:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to find out more who did the install, who did the tune? Does it have a dyno graph? You want to make sure that it was not just installed and that is it. If it is tuned right it will be fine with stock internals WITH A GOOD TUNE. If it was not tuned you want to get it to Dan Cragin or other tuners on this site ASAP. What year is the SRT?

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to find out more who did the install, who did the tune? Does it have a dyno graph? You want to make sure that it was not just installed and that is it. If it is tuned right it will be fine with stock internals WITH A GOOD TUNE. If it was not tuned you want to get it to Dan Cragin or other tuners on this site ASAP. What year is the SRT?

Speaking as a person who eventually would like to add a Paxton to my Gen III I thank you for that. Keep 'em coming.

Bob

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the paxton kit myself, used the stock tune and fuel system. I have had no trouble from the install since day one. I only pleasure drive the car and only put 10,000 miles on in 5 years. I think if you leave it as intended and drive reasonably normal the Kit is completely dependable and not to be feared.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you expect to bolt a Paxton onto your car, and have it drive stock. DON'T DO IT.... I've owned modified cars. You will always be wrenching on it..

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock Paxton kit installed and tuned properly to a stock Gen III engine should run without any problems assuming that it is properly maintained. Many of us have more than 10,000 miles on our cars without any problems. Your friend needs to take the car to a local shop with a dyno and have it tested. In particular, he should make sure to get a print out which includes A/F and boost. He can then post it here, through you, if he wants and I am sure that a number of knowledgeable people will post and/or he can fax it to one of the knowledgeable Paxton installer VCA sponsors to look at. Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse is such a person.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A properly installed and tuned paxton should and can be trouble free if normal maintenance is done like bob said.

Have a tuner look at it and work on it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets