Penske

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of penske shocks on order for my 2001 GTS. I need help on how and where you mount the reserviors, mainly the rear?(Pics would be very helpful.)Also, do I want to run 2.25" or 2.5" springs? 7"or 8" spring length?(I plan on using 450 lb. and 750 lb. rear as a street/track comprimise. Do I need helper springs? What ride height? (frame to ground.)The car is a street car but I run about 8 or 9 track events per year. Thanks!!! SammyV

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean, I think from a previous post you run 600# front 900# rear? Do you still drive your car on street? Can you tell me what size springs you run? (2.5" by 8")? Thanks for your input! SammyV

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 800# in the back. I believe I have 2.5" diameter coils with helpers, but can't recall exactly what the free length is. The rear bodies are quite a bit shorter than the fronts, and they might be 7". All my springs are the same length.

I do quite a bit of street driving. IMO, shock valving has a greater effect on ride comfort than spring rate - within reasonable limits. The late model ACRs were equipped with 1000 or 1100# rears and a lot of people complained about harsh ride. If you stick a big wing on the back, they're probably fine. Otherwise, there's quite an imbalance front/rear, and not enough rebound valving for good control.

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean! Do you concern yourself with ride height or Rake? SammyV

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but it varies broadly based on anticipated driving conditions, just like my alignments (street/strip/road course/long highway cruise).

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean, I still have not received my Penske shocks yet, they should be in my hands next week.I have three sets of springs that I have have used on my modified Koni's.(650-400,800-500,900-550)I decide I will use 800&550#-2.5" dia.(sense I already own them)for my initial set-up. I then plan corner weigh the car with 280# in the drivers seat to match my body weight(WOW!). I unfortunately will not be on a track until late March or early April but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your input! SammyV PS Thanks Indy Steve for use of your scales!!

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received my Penske shocks yesterday. Can anyone tell me where they mounted their remote reserviors front and rear. Thanks! SammyV

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I slid the reservior inside part of a radiator hose then mounted them to the upper control arm. Ideally a longer line should be used so the reservior could be mounted inside the trunk or engine bay.

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I also noticed the eyelets on each end of the Penske's are smaller than the factory shocks,they will require some type of spacers. Any thoughts? SammyV

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I also noticed the eyelets on each end of the Penske's are smaller than the factory shocks,they will require some type of spacers. Any thoughts? SammyV

Most shocks with monoballs in the eyes take a 1/2" diameter bolt. The OEM bolt has an unusually formed grip, with a max 9/16" diameter, and smaller in the middle. I strongly recommend installing the shocks with the bolts snug, then use slip plates under a stand or a floor jack to take up the excess slop before torquing to final spec (WITH THE WHEEL OFF - so you have some room to swing a wrench).

You should have gotten some conic spacers to fill the gap between the upper frame ears and the shock eye. If not, you will need to get out a tape or some calipers and get with a local machine shop.

I have a few photos of my reservoir mounts in my gallery at the other popular Viper enthusiasts' site. Same screen name.

:needpics:

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, Sorry I have no idea how to post pics. Brian Long at Hoerr Racing Products (Where I purchased the shocks HRPworld.com)agreed to machine a set of spacers for me. I'll let you know how it turns out!! SammyV

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4