Picked up a different kind of beast...

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I decided to keep my 98' GTS and add something different. 2013 Godzilla with 700HP+ (625AWHP), it launches like a bullet from a standstill. It smoked an Aventador all the way to 120mph. I've never owned anything this fast before, it's like it has a warp-drive built in. You wait for it to start tapering off and it just keeps pulling harder. I will not be naming this car a girl's name, it is not feminine or ****. It's masculine, purely function over form and simply murders the concrete at every light.

Surprisingly around here it gets as many stares and thumbs up as my Viper. I guess because you don't ever see them over here. I literally see 10 Vipers to every 1 GT-R. I'm stoked right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but the **** make a fast car. Best of luck.:usa:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My office is next to a Nissan dealer. He has one that color sitting out front right now. There are quite a few on the roads around here. And they are fast, no doubt. Nothing really that can touch it in straight line acceleration except a 911 Turbo or Veyron maybe.

Good luck with it. I've always like them.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you feel disconnected with the car? I have heard many say that it really isn't a drivers car and gets old after a while. I've driven a few of them and they have fierce acceleration, but felt heavy and got bored of the paddle shift. I only drove each I tried for a short period of time so really don't want to make a final judgement until I really experience it. What are your thoughts so far?

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice car, just not for me. Just push the peddle and go.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you feel disconnected with the car? I have heard many say that it really isn't a drivers car and gets old after a while. I've driven a few of them and they have fierce acceleration, but felt heavy and got bored of the paddle shift. I only drove each I tried for a short period of time so really don't want to make a final judgement until I really experience it. What are your thoughts so far?

This is a comment that many of the reviewers and test drivers have said countless times and is why I never considered this car until recently. When I first test drove one last fall, at first I could see what others were saying. But when I got on the entrance ramp and took the corner that I normally take with the Viper at 70mph, I looked down and saw triple digits. I realized then that it wasn't that the car felt disconnected, but rather that it was actually so connected that I could do things I normally wouldn't because of the confidence it gave me. You feel so invincible in this car that you do things and take corners you wouldn't dare in any other car. The guy I bought this one from let me have a real test drive, with no restrictions and I was hooked. I then immediately went to the Porsche dealer the next day and drove a new 911. I found the PDK to be assuming, intrusive, and downright weird in the way the paddles work. I drove it for nearly 30 minutes, but simply didn't fall for the experience the way I did with the GT-R. It was nice but it didn't scare me, it didn't make my palms sweat. The GT-R, at least this GT-R, gives me the ******* when I gun it. Anyone who doesn't think this car has soul doesn't have a pulse. I actually find the Paddle-shifting to be more challenging than a stick in this car, at least right now. The reason is because it goes so fast so quickly that I really have to concentrate and think quick when shifting. I actually find the paddle shifting to be very engaging, even without a left pedal. Another thing, it does have a raw side. It's cool to actually hear the twin clutch engage and clamp, the mechanized gear shifting, the sequential downshifting when coming to a stop, very much like an F1 racecar. It doesn't have to be "just push the pedal and go", it lets you engage as much or as little as you want. When you are in Auto mode, you can take over anytime by blipping a paddle. When in "R" mode, it then stays in manual mode, and unlike the PDK, the transmission computer stays out of your way even if you forget to upshift. Like a stick, you hit the rev limiter. After my buddy drove it, he said it was the most insane and crazy driving experience he has ever had. He actually said it was more engaging and fun than a C7 stick.

I don't know why some people get bored with their GT-R, I guess I'll have to wait a year and find out. Maybe destroying everything on the road becomes boring after a while, I admit there is no challenge and very little driver interaction when using launch control. I don't even get nervous about blowing the launch or losing to wheelspin, I know it's like loaded dice and the GT-R will always win. It's fun to see the other car in the rear view mirror ten car-lengths back within seconds. But I'm also the type of guy that loved using cheat codes and secret tricks when playing video games back in the day, so it doesn't bother me to have the tactical advantage. I paid to have that advantage and I can't wait to utilize it on the track this summer. Maybe those that got bored never turned the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a comment that many of the reviewers and test drivers have said countless times and is why I never considered this car until recently. When I first test drove one last fall, at first I could see what others were saying. But when I got on the entrance ramp and took the corner that I normally take with the Viper at 70mph, I looked down and saw triple digits. I realized then that it wasn't that the car felt disconnected, but rather that it was actually so connected that I could do things I normally wouldn't because of the confidence it gave me. You feel so invincible in this car that you do things and take corners you wouldn't dare in any other car. The guy I bought this one from let me have a real test drive, with no restrictions and I was hooked. I then immediately went to the Porsche dealer the next day and drove a new 911. I found the PDK to be assuming, intrusive, and downright weird in the way the paddles work. I drove it for nearly 30 minutes, but simply didn't fall for the experience the way I did with the GT-R. It was nice but it didn't scare me, it didn't make my palms sweat. The GT-R, at least this GT-R, gives me the ******* when I gun it. Anyone who doesn't think this car has soul doesn't have a pulse. I actually find the Paddle-shifting to be more challenging than a stick in this car, at least right now. The reason is because it goes so fast so quickly that I really have to concentrate and think quick when shifting. I actually find the paddle shifting to be very engaging, even without a left pedal. Another thing, it does have a raw side. It's cool to actually hear the twin clutch engage and clamp, the mechanized gear shifting, the sequential downshifting when coming to a stop, very much like an F1 racecar. It doesn't have to be "just push the pedal and go", it lets you engage as much or as little as you want. When you are in Auto mode, you can take over anytime by blipping a paddle. When in "R" mode, it then stays in manual mode, and unlike the PDK, the transmission computer stays out of your way even if you forget to upshift. Like a stick, you hit the rev limiter. After my buddy drove it, he said it was the most insane and crazy driving experience he has ever had. He actually said it was more engaging and fun than a C7 stick.

I don't know why some people get bored with their GT-R, I guess I'll have to wait a year and find out. Maybe destroying everything on the road becomes boring after a while, I admit there is no challenge and very little driver interaction when using launch control. I don't even get nervous about blowing the launch or losing to wheelspin, I know it's like loaded dice and the GT-R will always win. It's fun to see the other car in the rear view mirror ten car-lengths back within seconds. But I'm also the type of guy that loved using cheat codes and secret tricks when playing video games back in the day, so it doesn't bother me to have the tactical advantage. I paid to have that advantage and I can't wait to utilize it on the track this summer. Maybe those that got bored never turned the steering wheel.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wonder if it's because yours is modded that you feel this way. Have your driven a stock one? Do you think you would feel close to the same? I would like to experience ownership one day. The Gen V is still on top of my list first. Down here, I see a ton of GTRs. Have yet to see a gen v

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's and GTR's compliment each other. Like Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool, if you like that sort of car.

I have tons of respect for them, and think they are great technical marvels.
They are unbelievable performers, .....but I just personally don't favor them.

..........If they looked more ****, like a 458 Italia or something like that, I'd probably want one. :rolleyes:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) what does this have to do with a viper

2) I see nothing special about it

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy owns a Viper and has the privilege to compare and contrast every bit as much as you have the privilege to be a dick.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on your new beast!! Nice write up. A member of this forum recently bought a brand new GT-R. Before he made his final decision he was invited to test drive the McLaren MP4-12C (or whatever they are called this quarter) at Sonoma Raceway and left very disappointed. He is a very fast driver (holds track records) and the McLaren would always kick in with what I think was stability control at his top limit on the track. This made the car very jittery at the limit, almost like you could not trust it. (and if I'm understanding him correctly, it was in the most "off" stability control position). Other testers on TV car shows commented that the model two years ago could not be drifted since it was constantly fighting you. For 98% of us mere mortals, we probably don't have the talent to get to that level of intrusion by the McLaren. But he does, so now he owns a brand new GT-R and loves it.

Enjoy it and give us updates as you learn more about the car.

Cheers,
George

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys like you, with cars like this, are a problem for the rest of us at the track.
We have to watch our mirrors, and then get out of the way so you can go by.
I have been on track with quite a few different GT-R's (one of the clubs I run with is Nissan based and is sponsored by a dealership that has a race-prepped Godzilla modded to the moon) -usually more than a handful of them at these events.
The 'whatever guys' are not any problem, and I can lap quicker than them with no problem.
On the other hand, the 'seasoned driver guys' that came from other cars with a lot of experience on the track,... they are very dominant.
It seems that the car is fast with anybody in it, but in the hands of a real driver, the car is amazing.

I guess you just have to be the right guy to enjoy that robot car.
I don't like them and I think they are ugly, with a way stupid exhaust note. -But that's just my opinion.
I have to say in the same breath though, that the GT-R is full-blast performance wise.

Enjoy the monster car....................but you may have to watch out for cops with that one too.

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice looking vehicle & good write up...having started myself in the "import" scene I have great respect for the GTR's...hope to have one in the stable one day as well...:2tu:

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice car, just not for me. Just push the peddle and go.

Congrats on the GTR! Hell of a car but like wikkid said, its not for me either though I do respect their performance. Got offered $50k for my 99 ACR on a trade towards a GTR but the paddle shift killed the driving experience for me. No man and machine connection.

But congrats!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic looks boring as hell. Like a black pontiac gto...but 2.7 seconds to 60 mph cant be argued

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there is a redesigned hybrid coming soon. They are touting sub 2 second 0-60 times...
The car may not look ****, but when you see one you know exactly what it is and what it's about.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GT-R's don't look that great in pics. In person, in has a presence that is undeniably exotic and muscular. I honestly can say at this point it gets as much attention as my Viper where I live. I think it's because no one knows what it is, and those that do highly respect it. The car wasn't designed to look pretty, but rather cut through the air as efficiently as possible. It has a drag coefficient of 0.26 which seems impossible based on the boxy look. This is a car that is function over form.

After driving it for a week, I find the paddle shifter to actually be nearly as engaging as a stick. Maybe it's the added horsepower, but I really have to concentrate when I'm flooring it or else I hit the 8000rpm fuel cutoff quick. This car will spoil you and make you jaded to high speeds and acceleration. I hit 150 yesterday without even feeling so much as an extra heartbeat. The Viper hitting 150 scares me because of the noise, the engine vibrations, the rawness to it. Yet, at the same time, when I drive the GTS I fell like it's missing power or something. I expect it to slam me in my seat but it doesn't feel that way anymore. And don't get me started on my Crossfire. I was satisfied with my Crossfire's off the line acceleration, but now I feel like it takes forever to hit 60, so much so that I literally find myself pushing that car to the bleeding edge at every light just to feel my new "normal".

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one fast car:2tu: I would not go by Cd alone although it is indeed very impressive, what really matters is Cd x A and L/D ratio and GTR is rather tall and wide. Outstanding car nevertheless. Since you pack extra hp, are there any issues with warranty? From what I see, prices on GTR engine and tranny are way up there with super exotics. I hope you are kidding about that fear in Viper at speed, I think others call it a THRILL...(I've ditched a C6Z06 in the past for that reason, lack of speed sensation) :D
GT-R's don't look that great in pics. In person, in has a presence that is undeniably exotic and muscular. I honestly can say at this point it gets as much attention as my Viper where I live. I think it's because no one knows what it is, and those that do highly respect it. The car wasn't designed to look pretty, but rather cut through the air as efficiently as possible. It has a drag coefficient of 0.26 which seems impossible based on the boxy look. This is a car that is function over form.

After driving it for a week, I find the paddle shifter to actually be nearly as engaging as a stick. Maybe it's the added horsepower, but I really have to concentrate when I'm flooring it or else I hit the 8000rpm fuel cutoff quick. This car will spoil you and make you jaded to high speeds and acceleration. I hit 150 yesterday without even feeling so much as an extra heartbeat. The Viper hitting 150 scares me because of the noise, the engine vibrations, the rawness to it. Yet, at the same time, when I drive the GTS I fell like it's missing power or something. I expect it to slam me in my seat but it doesn't feel that way anymore. And don't get me started on my Crossfire. I was satisfied with my Crossfire's off the line acceleration, but now I feel like it takes forever to hit 60, so much so that I literally find myself pushing that car to the bleeding edge at every light just to feel my new "normal".

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who did the mods on your GTR? Jotech seems to be pretty damn popular here in N. Texas.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who did the mods on your GTR? Jotech seems to be pretty damn popular here in N. Texas.

The previous owner flew in a tuner to do all the work. I'm not sure who but I can find out. I just switched to the e85 tune and man does this thing pull even harder now. I did a 2.68 time to 60. Waiting for my R888's to arrive to get more traction because it's spinning all fours too easily now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave