Pics Of My Crashed Viper

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never ever thought I would be posting pics of my viper like this. It is very upsetting
and I have broken down a few times this morning and even as I write this now. I am
thinking mostly that when I was sliding into the pole, seeing it coming at my door that
somehow I turned the wheel to hit it dead on. Looking at how far the pole came into
the front it scares me to think how far it would have come inside the door at my drivers
door. I just cant believe this happen, it really hurts. Let this be a reminder on what can
happen this time of year with all the deer and cold roads. Peace be with you all.

IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_28251.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That hurts to look at. Good God.
Glad your are ok and walked away. Yikes.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is Horrific. It is amazing you are ok. It really says a lot about the safety of our cars.

Take care
Bruce

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. You are very fortunate that you hit the pole head on instead of in the side of the car.:omg:

You were blessed.;)

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey at least you live to buy another Viper!

One question? What in the heck were you doing driving in that weather anyway?

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The thing that matters is that you're okay. A viper can always be replaced!

yellowvipergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:That's a sad site of your valued Viper Tom. Glad you survived that horrific accident. Someone was definitely watching over you.

Peace be with you Viper friend.

Ginger

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats scary to look at, the damage is so deep! You definitely saved your own life by jerking the wheel and avoiding a side impact collision. Any idea how fast you were going when you hit the pole? Glad you're ok! It really is "just a car" and there's thousands more out there for you to buy when you're ready.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're ok Wanted. The silver lining is two-fold. First, you're ok. Second, with the prices that vipers are now going for, you would have never been able to sell it for what you're gonna get from the insurance company. Then you can purchase a new or used one at great price.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Number one, glad you are okay. A car can be replaced, a life cannot. Now second, sorry to see your baby like this. Best of luck getting the insurance to settle up with you and get a new one.

:usa:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most all are saying, glad you're ok. Just wondering out loud, if you had ABS, do you think the accident would have still happened?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom, Im so very glad you are not seriously hurt. Turning TOWARD the pole was certainly counter-intuitive, but divinely inspired?

The pix show EXACTLY what is meant by controlled-crush-zones engineered into the car and frame. That fascia now looks like graphite butt-cheeks! Further sad but true, This car CAN be re-built, aftter the insurance company totals it of course. It will be interesting to see the Vin history in 1 year. [ I always look at TIRES and yours look like good tread, matched set of older PS 1. By your narrative, tires were probably not a major factor. ]

Tom, if I can help with insurance issues, please do not hesitate to ask..... we all want you to get max-value for the car, so you can get a new snake in your Snake Pit ASAP, just in time for warmer weather.

I have to ask: Was the PETE emblem pilfered, lost, or recovered?

JonB

Last edited:

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG Tom!! I'm glad you're Ok, that about as bad as it gets. Where were you? And how did it happen? I remember how excited you were when you first got it, and made us all guess on what you were getting. So sorry, I know how imortant that car was to you, but on the bright side, there are some sweet deals out there. Wishing you the best, and hope it all works out.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As most all are saying, glad you're ok. Just wondering out loud, if you had ABS, do you think the accident would have still happened?

99 R/T, its YOU that is absent ABS!

An 02 Graphite DOES have ABS... that is what enabled him to make some steering corrections while sliding to the pole....once and if he hit wet grass, the steering was pretty much completed...rotational inertia was divinely inspired at that point...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tom, Glad that you did not get injured. Looks like quite an impact. Total shock. Hope you come through it ok.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom;

Glad you are okay. Sorry that I now need to pull my offer to buy your car, which I PM'd you last year on. It needs a bit more work than I am prepared to give it. I was only planning on polishing a new RT/10.

Seriously you could not have hit it anymore in the center of the car than what you did. Dodge should be sending some engineers out to take pictures,as that is amazing. Judging by how far it drove that pole in, you must have been going a fair clip. Pretty study pole too. Glad it did not fall back on you after you hit it.

Hope your insurance works out and you are able to get back inot what you want. Just glad you are okay.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wanted, maybe I missed an earlier post, but did you get checked out yet?

I did the same thing last summer to an 02 Graphite RT 10 that I had just bought a month earlier. Early in the morning, cold tires, I wan't even pushing the car but I was acelerating from a stop sign, a critter ran out in front of me, I ****** the wheel (I know, I know, I know but I did it anyway). The tail broke loose and I over corrected, and at that point I might as well been on a sheet of ice and hit a tree on the passanger side front wheel totling the car.

It is just as Wanted described, you keep re playing the whole incident and watching the object that you hit is like slow motion, even the air bag deplyment was like slow motion.

I was devestated, I still don't like to think about it, except my four year old likes to remind me by saying "daddy hit a tree!". I also felt bad about taking a beautiful low milage Viper out our our community.

The good news is with the help of Bernie at BJ Motors (or Jon will help as well) I did well with the insurance company. I bought another identical car with almost the same miles last fall. My only regret with buying a new one was not waitting a little longer, as prices continued to fall and I woudn't have had to store it over the winter.

I've got a new set of PS 2's from Jon waitting to go on the car and I'll be good to go -again.

Make sure you get checked out and work the insurance company. I will all work out.
Good luck.