Piston swap for the cream puff

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some suggestions on replacing the stock pistons for some forge ones.
First I will keep it N/A and with the stock bore and stroke. I am planning on keeping my stock rods and crank too. I am doing this now due to my engine is down and Greg Good is fixing one of my heads. I am thinking of bumping the compression to 11.5 or higher and runing 93 pump gas and some 110 racing fuel for those race days. This is the list of questions I have:

1. What kind of piston manufacture should I use?
  2. Can I use a floating pin instead of the press fit type?
  3. Tips on how to deglaze the cylinders?
  4. Do I need to change out the rod bearings on a motor with only 12k miles?
I appreciate any suggestions. :confused:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, change rod and main bearing. Cheap insurance. Yes, you can do floating pin.
For pistons C & P or JE is good. Some here us diamond and probably the least costly.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some suggestions on replacing the stock pistons for some forge ones.
First I will keep it N/A and with the stock bore and stroke. I am planning on keeping my stock rods and crank too. I am doing this now due to my engine is down and Greg Good is fixing one of my heads. I am thinking of bumping the compression to 11.5 or higher and runing 93 pump gas and some 110 racing fuel for those race days. This is the list of questions I have:

1. What kind of piston manufacture should I use?
  2. Can I use a floating pin instead of the press fit type?
  3. Tips on how to deglaze the cylinders?
  4. Do I need to change out the rod bearings on a motor with only 12k miles?
I appreciate any suggestions. :confused:

Are you pulling the engine out of the car? Probably should. If you are going to spend money on custom pistons you need to hone the block with a torque plate.

With an aftermarket piston you should run floating pins. I'd get a set of Eagle rods and have the crank balanced.

On the pistons, I'll call you next week and we'll go over what you need. We'll start with the head gasket thickness and work from there so that we end up with .040" deck clearance. Also, the piston skirt profile is important to get right. A Viper has some of the skirt hanging below the bottom of the bore at the bottom of the stroke, so you need a special profile. A straight taper is not the best way to go on these engines. Too much piston rock which will cause the engine to oil.

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Greg, I look forward to talking with you on any suggestions that you may have.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A question on the deck height. With a deck height of .040 and a gasket of around .045 for the gold gasket, that would give a guy .085 quench.

I have read that a lot of the recommendations are that most engines should be with a quench of around the .045 mark.

Would our V10 do better with less quench or more?

What is the max compression ratio we can safely run with stock cast pistons on 93 octane in the Cream puffs and what quench would you recommend?

Thanks

Tim

Reaction score
.040" quench, or piston to head clearance, would be about ideal, but impossible to get with stock pistons (unless you took the engine completely apart and milled the deck, which I don't recommend). The ones I have checked had the piston .033" - .034" in the hole. With a stock gasket, .-051", that gives you ~.085" piston to head clearance and 9.6:1 compression. You can install an .027" Cometic and get the P to H down to ~.060". You lose 5cc's just by going to the .027" gasket, and get to 10.1:1. Mill .025" off the heads and you can get to ~10.5:1. I wouldn't go over that on a cast piston.

A question on the deck height. With a deck height of .040 and a gasket of around .045 for the gold gasket, that would give a guy .085 quench.

I have read that a lot of the recommendations are that most engines should be with a quench of around the .045 mark.

Would our V10 do better with less quench or more?

What is the max compression ratio we can safely run with stock cast pistons on 93 octane in the Cream puffs and what quench would you recommend?

Thanks

Tim

Steves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Greg on a gen 1 what do u recommend on highest compression n/a running E85 for a street car

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235