Plastic wrap on frame purpose?

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my frame rails directly under the upward supports for the motor mounts are 2 clear plastic sheets glued to the frame strategically to cover 4 holes in the frame. Is that their purpose? Or are they some leftover things from assembly line. If their pupose was just to plug the holes... why? There are several other holes/openings in the frame.

The are shredding an falling off on my car now...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I recall hearing that the plastic wrap on the frame rails covered the areas designed as frame collapse zones...and the purpose of said wrap was to decrease potential noise from air flow...truth or BS, I can not say.

Oval holes at front and rear on outer sides of both frame rails are for the tie-down "R" hooks used by Chrysler.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plastic only serves as the reason to put glue on the frame. The glue is actually there to drive you ****ing crazy trying to remove it !! :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 3 are in great condition. Seriously this should be an SRT engineer forum question if you`re seriously concerned about it. Ask the engineers at VOI 11. That`s why they`re there!

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes those are to cover the engineered crumple zones one can speculate to reduce water and dirt ingestion into those holes as to not promote internal corrosion of the chassis. I cleaned mine with Goof Off and recovered them with 3M clear tape

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes those are to cover the engineered crumple zones one can speculate to reduce water and dirt ingestion into those holes as to not promote internal corrosion of the chassis. I cleaned mine with Goof Off and recovered them with 3M clear tape

I'd have to agree with this.