plugs and wires

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

quick question, when changing plugs is it advisable to change wires too? Should wires be changed every time you change the plugs?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not everytime, but if you have original wires I would look into new ones.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're on the wires topic, how long are AB's wires good for? I put them on about 5k ago, so I know they're fine, but when should I be looking at changing them again. I know the stock ones don't last too long, but for AB's am I looking at 15k, 20k, etc?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you should change plugs and wires at the same time. For the convenience if nothing else. Plugs go bad at 20K, wires at 30K and both are cheap so just replace both while you're at it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when NA my plugs were fine at 20K but i changed them out anyways. now with boost, i change them every 10K.

wires i change at 20K and only use AB's

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, what is a good plug to use on a gen 1 with a paxton??

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no idea what plug to use on a gen1, sorry.

my first call would be to doug levin ,he will know for sure. 954-434-9356

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're on the wires topic, how long are AB's wires good for? I put them on about 5k ago, so I know they're fine, but when should I be looking at changing them again. I know the stock ones don't last too long, but for AB's am I looking at 15k, 20k, etc?

You should get out your ohm meter and check the wire resistance about every-other year. While you're at it, a compression check is also a good idea. It will take about 2 hours at a very leisurely pace.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get out your ohm meter and check the wire resistance about every-other year. While you're at it, a compression check is also a good idea. It will take about 2 hours at a very leisurely pace.

Decided to do just this and got the following readings on my AB's Wires:

Wire # kOhm
1 1.485
3 1.485
5 1.339
7 .930
9 1.029

2 1.810
4 1.693
6 1.557
8 1.002
10 .903

Not sure what it means.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, get out a tape and break these readings down into ohms/inch. Look for unusually high values. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier....

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**EDIT**

Nevermind, learned something today from Google :) Resistance values Tony posted seem very high but I see that spark plug wires are made intentionally resistive to manage interference and inductance.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**EDIT**

Nevermind, learned something today from Google :) Resistance values Tony posted seem very high but I see that spark plug wires are made intentionally resistive to manage interference and inductance.

Actually, I think the values are low compared to the stock plug wires. The lower the number the better I believe. I don't remember the exact min/max numbers for wire resistance from my service manual but these values are below what's spec for the stock plug wires. I don't suspect any issues with my AB's wires but since I had the cowl off and was working around the engine I broke out my multimeter. I'm going to follow up with Dean's suggestion of measuring the length of each wire and calculating the per inch resistance.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw kOhms and thought "WHAT?!, it's a foot of wire", which would normally be mOhms, but now I know they are intentionally made resistive to manage EMI.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plug wires will last longer than some will have you believe. I think the myth comes from people not running header heat shields and cooking their wires.

If were talking about the original plugs on a 10+yr old vehicle that has been driven then i would replace them regardless of mileage. I replace my Plugs every 15K or so and dont plan on replacing my AB wires for a long time.

Those mopar ones posted above are a good deal:2tu:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory, the SVSi stepped headers - were of exceptional quality - were also notorious for burning plug wires and boots (and blower vent boxes).

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory, the SVSi stepped headers - were of exceptional quality - were also notorious for burning plug wires and boots (and blower vent boxes).

Yup, I had to replace my wires after a few summers due to the heat my SVSi headers generated and I have them wrapped. I know about the blower vent box also :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave