Police with binoculars???

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving down the street near work in a 40 zone and at the bottom of the hill on the right were two motorcycle cops looking up the hill at oncoming cars with what looked like binoculars. Nothing registered on my radar/laser detector. Does anyone know what they were doing? I know years ago I got a ticket on a highway from a cop using VASCAR where they were timing cars between lines on the road, but these guys were looking through what looked like binoculars. Is this a new type of VASCAR? Curious...

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, that sounds about right because it is right by the college campus and there are a lot of students just leaving at 3:00 pm when I saw them.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They're using Laser. Undetectable and very sneaky. Some states been doing this for years. They can pinpoint a single car they think is speeding.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bumper to bumper traffic in northern va today a bike cop was sitting there with a pair.

Either looking for people with expired tags, belts, or cell phone usage.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laser isn't undetectable, and I hope George knows the difference between a laser gun and binoculars. lol
Every detector I've used picks it up, but at that point, it's too late.
Radar can been detected miles away before the cop is anywhere near line of sight.

I hate laser.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree - Seatbelt/cell phone enforcment.

I know of one local DE town cop who has a REALLY nice
Infrared binocular setup so he can see violations at night.
Shame no one seems intrested in real criminals anymore...

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bumper to bumper traffic in northern va today a bike cop was sitting there with a pair.

Either looking for people with expired tags, belts, or cell phone usage.

Yep, that has to be what they were doing. Tricky... Makes since I suppose around a college where everyone is on the phone as soon as class lets out.