POLL - what should the hardtop look like?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dodge has a GOLDEN opportunity to really appease EVERYONE who has anything negative to say about the SRT styling in the hardtop for this car. I think we have all agreed that it's difficult to make a convertible look as good as a coupe, because you don't have the roofline to play with.

So, the question is, how should Dodge style the hardtop that they will be making for the SRT?

Here are the options (add your own if you really want to).

1) It should follow the lines of the GTS/R prototype

2) It should be a 'double bubble' like the GTS looks now

3) It should follow the lines of the convertible SRT top

4) It should be an original design to compliment the SRT looks

I vote for #1. I think a top that makes the SRT look like the GTS/R prototype - complete with scoop in the center of the roof - would look AWESOME and round out the SRT looks (and make it all that much more desirable)

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Great minds think alike! I was looking at the SRT pics the other day, and I was thinking "if they just added a little 'lip' like there is in the GTS, it would look a ton better".

I have heard that the rumored "adjustments" to the look of the car are to the rear end - so perhaps we will get our wish after all?

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about they make it really big, so like it covers the whole car, and they shape it like a current GTS...ya thats it.

No flames I was just kidding, GTS/R like sounds about right, i like the scoop.

As for the comment about the backs of cars being tough to design, well one of the few backs I really like IS the GTS/R concept, except for that tail (its not that great).

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything that resembles the Comp Coupe or Concept GRTSR incorporated into the SRT-10 would be a great improvement to the car.

Plus wider seats sides.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice one Mark!!! LOL
I have to go with #1 also!! And I am with Fred, only for someone 6"5'! I hope Northwind will put a rush on the seat lowering kit too!!

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

I didn't realize you were so short and hunched over that your head was hitting the wheel - you ok there bud?
smile.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double bubble for helmet clearance. Backlight area will probably end up looking sorta like the C5 coupe if we want the trunk lid to still work with the top on. In Plan and side views, I don't see how it could change very much from the convertible's lines.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if the hard top was a TRUE hard top?

You will have to use your imagination a bit, but this is something that could happen. For ALL you "got to have a GTS" people, did you ever think that a "bolt-on-top" might work? This could work and get the desired effect that many GTS fans desire. Remove the rear trunk deck and ALL of the convertible top mechanism. Then make a top that can be mounted in that space, and now you have your "fixed roof" solution. Here is another hint, someone is working on this as we speak!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, as to your statement "appease everyone". Don't you think that by offering 4 different versions of the Viper that Dodge is striving to provide a version for EVERYONE?

Roadster- For the raw crazed fan.
Coupe- For the driver who needs more car than motorcycle.
Convertible- for the the sunshine seekers, and the convenience.
Comp Coupe- for the REAL racing enthusiast.

Dolph Williams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys know that DC engineers are laughing at you right now.

In my business, we call it "armchair engineering"!!!

But........ I vote for the GTS/R hardtop look, too. There's alot more to the design than what appears.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dolph, actually they are thrilled at what they read. This is a great venue for them to have backing for any program they want to build. I wouldn't call this the main artery to gauge feeling, but it does qualify as an active vein, and it becomes a great way for them to judge what needs to be done.

Did you know that there is one person from PVO watching this board the entire day? They may not agree with what is said here, but at least they get to gage reactions.

BTW, the top I discussed CAME from a PVO team member. They are not going to do it internally, but there is a chance an AutoForm or V-Mania will?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Did you know that there is one person from PVO watching this board the entire day? They may not agree with what is said here, but at least they get to gage reactions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Viper BBS Net Nanny? Yeah - that's IT!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
Viper BBS Net Nanny? Yeah - that's IT!

(just kidding - sort of...)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Dean.
How the heck are you gonna open the trunk if there is a GTS-R type of hard top. It would be a pain removing that everyime you wanted into the trunk, plus it would be pretty heavy.

I'll bet the hard tops look similiar to what you find on a c-3 vette, cobra or 55-57 thunderbird. NO PORTHOLES PLEASE!

Craig

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good point on the trunk issue, but I think the GTS/R look is of utmost importance. How's a hinged rear glass sound, so that you can open up the trunk, or even a unique shortened trunk that comes with each hardtop?

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent point Joe..

Craig,

I think the look of the GTS/R FAR FAR outweighs the utility of the hardtop. Traditionally, hardtops let people drive their convertibles in the winter. The SRT hardtop will be alot more. Ideally, it should change the look of the car to look like the GTS/R to appease the GTS guys, and it should make the SRT into a real coupe - suitable (and legal) for racing.

Trunk space in a Viper has never been a concern, and even if it was a pain to get in there, I wouldn't mind. I think the hardtop would HAVE to have a glass hatchback - ala GTS/R, and that would mean the glass would have to lift up to gain access to the trunk.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
It definitely could work! Hinged rear glass with a nice thick rubber weatherstripping on bottom.

Take a look, we've already got a large span between the rear seats and the start of the trunk... the hinged glass (or plexi) would only have to extend 2' or so beyond that.

You must be registered for see images

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that they should design a hardtop that is a fastback style, with the roof tapering back to the tail of the car like the coupe. But having the rear open like the GTS, but with the glass missing.

This would provide a nice fastback style from the front and side views, and still allow access to the trunk. The back would look somewhat like the RT/10 sports bar, but with the inset rear window angled down from behind the "rollbar" hoops to the front edge of the trunk, and the side wings tapering down to nearly the top end of the fenders (at the taillights).

This would look dramatic and stylish and offset the taller roof needed to clear the rollbar hoops and helmet, as opposed the much lower roofline of the GTS-R which probably has lowered seats.

I did a simple edit of Marv S's Silver '03 Viper picture to give an idea what I'm talking about.

-Dean.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Don't compare it to the GTS/R, you're better off using the comp coupe as your guide, as that DOES have the same windshield frame as the roadster.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard,

Well put, AGREE 100% with you, I am getting tired of hearing the same song over and over again - I for one, love the new design and hope my wait wont be too long. I have seen it in person at the Miami Auto Show end last year and again in Jan at the LA Auto Show. To me it looks more beautiful and exotic each time I see it - IT BLOWS ME AWAY with its modern and sleek design (And I personally love the side scoops - REAL NICE).

THANK YOU DC FOR BUILDING IT !!!!!!

Further agree with you on the hardtop but hope they can make it, so it will have a similar look of the gtsr (at least seen from the front).

Above said, it doesn't mean that I like the current style more or less - it is just different and we all know style is a subjective issue (so deal with it).
A wise man once told me that one should be very careful about talking down on the next guy's taste in women and/or cars - as you can get in serious trouble for both!

Sorry for rambling but I had to voice my opinion.

Best regards

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I do like the SRT's look, and hope to own one someday.
But I thought that it would be interesting to have a fastback hardtop. If DC decides to produce a normal coupe hardtop, this fastback design would be a good product for Autoform to build.

-Dean.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice photoshop....Im I the only one that sees a bit of Ferrari 456 GT in that photoshop????I also see some TVR Cerbera in it....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62