Possible relocation to NC

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advise.

My grandchildren live in Beulaville, NC so the wife and I are contemplating a move to NC. Looking at options from full time to just wintering in NC. I'd hate to give up tax free NH. Taxes are a concern as well.

My question is, where would you recommend I look to live. Keep in mind that I travel and need to be near an airport (30-50 min.). I also don't want to be too close or too far from the grand kids.

My other concern is that I want to be near the center of activities for the club. We are very active with the NE club.

Beulaville is located just northwest of Jacksonville.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, losing another to N.C....but understandable, Joe! But, maybe not permanently.
blackmamba1 moved to N.C. from Connecticut, maybe he can help you out? How about Tom Sessions? Good Luck, and we'll miss you and Donna on the New England cruises...no hugs...:(
ALL my best~~~juli

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what kinda area your looking for. More country, more city? Largest airport is RDU (Raleigh), have a smaller one here in Fayetteville. Honestly don't know if Jacksonville has one. If not those two would be the closest ones to Beulaville that I can think of.

OP
OP
W

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, sure wish I could take it to work. I think it might make selling SW difficult though.

Juli, I doubt we will move full time. Most likely a seasonal move for us. I love NE too much to leave, and then there is the whole tax free NH thing that I just can't pull away from. Of course if the state implements an income or sales tax that could change.

The winter is another reason we are considering this move. The last two have hit us hard. Getting tired of all the snow, and not being able to drive our cars.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya on the winters...it's why blackmamba1 enjoys N.C. SO much more now~! AND I hear ya on N.H. being a tax-friendly state. Hope you find what you are looking for! AND that we can still see you and Donna from time to time. GOOD LUCK~~~~juli

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to be in the country then Beulaville is the place to be.Jacksonville does have a airport. USAIR and Delta fly out of it. I think its Albert J Ellis airport.Your not far from Kinston or the beach at that point. Depending on where you want to live.I'm about 45 mins from Beulaville. Activity wise not a whole lot going on in the eastern part of the state.But we could always change that.

OP
OP
W

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom.

Does seem like the SE is a bit far to everything.

I did a search for flights out of Jacksonville. I was surprised to find them reasonable priced with a lot of options. I was originally thinking I needed to be near Durham-Raleigh airport.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fly out of Wilmington (ILM) and it sure beats going out of Raleigh.Eastern NC is alot of farm country but it is a relaxed way of life.But the drive to the city is not to far if you need to go. And the beach is not far either.Lots of options. Just as long as you dont bring a bunch af Yankees with you.:nono::D

OP
OP
W

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my wife and I. OK, maybe one more son and his family as well.

I promise, we are all easy going people. My wife and I currently live in the country and enjoy the relaxed life style.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There'd be a LONNNNNG waiting list for people lining up to vouch for WOT! and his wife~! ANYbody would be lucky to have you as neighbors/countrymen-women :))) ~juli

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right after Easter I went ot Dover NH and picked up a new pastor for our church.I made it back across the Mason Dixon line with out getting caught smuggling a yankee in.So far he has turned out to be a really good guy. So a few more wont hurt.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look forward to having you come down here! We have various club activities, but the membership is pretty spread out in the Carolinas, so I wouldn't say there is one central hub of activity. The two primary areas of Viper concentrations are the Raleigh and Charlotte areas.

OP
OP
W

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Slaughterj,

Sounds like Beulaville is actually a reasonable location for me. I may look to get a bit closer to Raleigh just to have more flexibility with flight schedules.

I was surprise how long it took to get to Charlotte. There is no direct route.

How active is the club, Nov. to April?

We're finding homes to be reasonable priced compared to here.
By downsizing we may be able to do this (NH and NC).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nov. to April, the club is pretty quiet, an occasional cruise or a dyno day, but not a major outing usually.

Are you planning to work down here too?

Any other questions about NC?

OP
OP
W

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughterj,

I currently work from home for a company in OH. I will just continue doing that.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like Beulaville are works for me. We don't want to be too far from the kids, and there are some reasonable airport options for me. I now just need to check out the local taxes.

Since I won't be giving up my NH residence I will be able to skip the income tax. Mostly concernde about property tax (house).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Home property taxes are reasonable compared to those found in New England, New York, New Jersey, etc. as I understand it. Of course, that is if you consider any tax to be reasonable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235