Power Steering Fluid MY 1998

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I guess, as a new Viper owner I need some help from the experienced ones like (most of) you.

I wanted to add some PS fluid since the level in the reservoir is a bit too low. I searched the web to find out, which fluid to buy (service manual does not say explicitly, which one I need). According to my research, I need Mopar MS-5931. I went to the Chrysler dealership and bought 1 liter. When I opened the bottle, I figured the clear color of the fluid. Furthermore, I noticed that the fluid in the reservoir is red (at least I perceive it being kind of red, but for sure not clear).

So, now I am wondering, if I bought the wrong PS fluid?? I don't know about the maintenance history of the car (I recently bought it), so maybe it had been changed in the past. I am also wondering, if I could add the fluid I bought (MS-5931) to maintain the proper level even if the system currently has a different fluid filled in??? Or would this harm the PS system?

Thanks for your advise!!

PS: I have not yet poured any of the MS-5931 into the reservoir

Yours,

Holger

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't remember what my OEM fluid color was but I use Red Line which is...red. Maybe the previous owner used it in your PS tank? Sorry I can't be of further assistance.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Your car used MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid Fluid" 04883077....When I purchased this fluid last Fall...is had been renamed "Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid"...part number 05142893AA...MS-10838

DO NOT use the newer
ATF+4 also called Power Steering+4 which is for Gen III and Gen IV Vipers.

As has already been noted...you COULD have Redline PS fluid in it now...commonly (and successfully) used in track cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Tony and Steve,

Do you think, I can "top" the Redline fluid with some of the MS-5931 to achieve the proper level? Or do I have to flush the complete system?

Holger

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not saying that this is the case, but a lot of cars (like my M3) use ATF in the power steering hydraulic system and it too is red. If someone familiar with the use of ATF in other cars used it in the Viper, then you might want to get as much of it out of there as possible. If its Redline no worries.....hard to be sure. Is it possible to ask the previous owner?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick to what the manufacturer asked for. Other fluids may be backward compatible but unless they say so, I wouldn't trust it. The problem will usually arise in seals wearing out.

Also, you are better off alternating between siphoning and refilling the reservoir to remove most of the old fluid.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony and Steve,

Do you think, I can "top" the Redline fluid with some of the MS-5931 to achieve the proper level? Or do I have to flush the complete system?

Holger

Siphon out as much as possible then refill. You'd be amazed how much you can **** out of there with a turkey baster. :)

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Advance Auto house brand PS fluid is the correct clear color.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the power steering reservior was low on my 02 RT also. when I put the car on a lift, I found fluid leaking from the steering rack (seals). I put lucas oil power steering additive into the reservior. it is supposed to swell up the seals and stop the leak. so far so good. If your fluid is really low, you may want to have someone check underneath the car.

Good Afternoon,

I guess, as a new Viper owner I need some help from the experienced ones like (most of) you.

I wanted to add some PS fluid since the level in the reservoir is a bit too low. I searched the web to find out, which fluid to buy (service manual does not say explicitly, which one I need). According to my research, I need Mopar MS-5931. I went to the Chrysler dealership and bought 1 liter. When I opened the bottle, I figured the clear color of the fluid. Furthermore, I noticed that the fluid in the reservoir is red (at least I perceive it being kind of red, but for sure not clear).

So, now I am wondering, if I bought the wrong PS fluid?? I don't know about the maintenance history of the car (I recently bought it), so maybe it had been changed in the past. I am also wondering, if I could add the fluid I bought (MS-5931) to maintain the proper level even if the system currently has a different fluid filled in??? Or would this harm the PS system?

Thanks for your advise!!

PS: I have not yet poured any of the MS-5931 into the reservoir

Yours,

Holger

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mean to turn your simple question into a bigger job than you asked for but you said you were a new owner so the following is what most of us do.

1. Swap the stock pulley for the aftermarket aluminum.
2. Swap the stock bracket for the aftermarket aluminum.
3. Replace the high pressure hose.
4. Might as well replace the low pressure hose.
5. Flush with 3 or 4 bottles of new fluid.

I've done all of the above to my 97 and 98 after having 1 and 3 happen to my 97 several years ago.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First: a big thanks to all of you for your valuable input, much appreciated :2tu:

So, here's what I will do:

1. Check PS system for leaks (before I bought the car I inspected it from underneath, I didn't find any leaks which doesn't mean that there is none :rolleyes:). The fluid level is just a little below the "C". Also, since I am checking the level now almost after every ride, it does not seem to decrease further...

2. Get new pulley, bracket and hoses

3. Install the above including flushing the system (is MS-5931 now the right fluid to go for?)

PS: The car has 14,5T miles on the odometer

Holger

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

actually, I tried to post a pic in my last reply but the system was always complaining that I exceed my quota for a few bytes (although I resized the image a few times) and I gave up :(

But yes, it is a very nice Viper indeed ;), also because it's my first Viper (a fulfillment of a lifetime dream :) ). It's a silver RT/10 (yes, I need to change my nickname now :cool:) and it was love at first sight (although silver was not really on my list of preferred colors, but I when I saw it in person I got hooked on it).

I have not made any pictures of the car with some Fräuleins yet :rolaugh: but I'll see what I can do to pay my dues :D.

Holger

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's now a picture (still without any Fräulein ;-))...

You must be registered for see images attach

PS: Sorry, but due to rezising to such a small format, the picture came out somewhat blurry...

Holger

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(is MS-5931 now the right fluid to go for?)

Yes, according to info on this website, and in particular, a post written by one of the experienced Viper techs ( link )
Mopar®P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931) is the correct OEM fluid.

Another website says what Steve above was saying.
The factory fill power steering fluid ,,, is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid.

I use Redline.
Like Chuck, I use Redline Power Steering fluid because I do track days. There are older posts on this website by racer types that say that they found the Redline PS to be superior for withstanding the sustained additional heating of the fluid that occurs in track day situations. I do not know whether it is the "right fluid" for the system; but, Chuck has lots of miles on his cars, so, I'm thinking that is enough testing to say that it is compatible.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now, can you also give some advise on the "best" method of flushing the system? The procedure described in the service manual seems quite complex and requires lifting the front wheels. Is there any easier method providing good results? Some of you seem to **** out the old fluid with a pump but will this really remove enough of the old fluid? Also, the PS system needs 0.7 liter of fluid but how much do I need for flushing the system (I guess, I need more in total as just the capacity of the system!?).

Thanks again!!

Holger

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Many have has problems with the recommended procedure...such as breaking parts when removing P/S hoses.

For that reason, I (and many others) subscribe to the dilutional method (as was well described by Janni and Henry Cove years ago).
NOTE: I usually do this on a mid-rise lift with wheels off of the ground.
Start by suctioning all of the P/S fluid from the reservoir, then refill it with new fluid. Next, I turn on the engine and rotate the steering wheel slowly lock-to-lock 4 or 5 times to circulate fluid. Then, shut off the engine, suction out the reservoir again, refill, repeat cycle of engine on and rotating steering wheel lock-to-lock. I usually emptying /refilling of the reservoir do this 4-5 times, then refill with new fluid...take a short test drive and put the Viper away...knowing that 95-98% of the old fluid has been removed.

As an alternative to a lift...one CAN use jack stands...OR, just leave it on the ground for treating reservoir then drive it slowly and carefully in the neighborhood while gently rotating the steering wheel as above in order to circulate the new fluid through the system.

I really can't remember how much fluid it takes as I keep several quarts handy.

I have used this method regularly for 10-11 years...and all of our Vipers are still working !! :)

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again for all your help!

When you speak about bottles, I guess these are 1 quart bottles (~ 1 Liter), right? So I need to get 2 more...

Have a nice Sunday to all of you and take out your Viper for a nice Sunday afternoon cruise :drive:

Holger

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Certainly 3 quarts (approximately 3 liters) of fluid will be fine.

...and a great day to you as well !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets