Pricing for 2003

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, if someone from Dodge is watching this thread they may come to the conclusion that as a group we are expecting this high of a price. Do we really want them to think that this is what we want?

You might want to tame down your expectations. And remember, the probability that one of the "I heard" numbers are correct is very unlikely. Why? Because dealers are calling the VCA on a daily basis to see what we "have hear the pricing was going to be?".

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Steve's right! I hope it'll be $40K! This way I can buy TWO! (what do you think Steve?)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just going with the ORIGINAL 1989 projected price of $35,000!!!!! Now that is what I think the price should be! Anyone agree?

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a guess, but DC seems to be refining the Viper which could
indicate larger numbers to be produced. If this is the case the price should come down or they won't achieve higher sales.
My guess is in the 60's, but it's just a guess.

Regards,

2charmed

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me for wandering from the original thread topic here, and again if this has already been addressed a dozen times elsewhere... but, has there been any indication of possible colors for the 2003, or will it be red, red or red? Thanks

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No color yet, but you can bet the house on RED! I know a Black and yellow one drove through Illinois a few month's back. And on my last trip to Detroit I saw and heard a Silver/grey one?

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, for a yellow 2003, I might just have to use that coupon
laugh.gif

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would certainly hope that DC would make the price more compatible with the Corvette, since that seems to be the most competitave similar vehicle. (Now let's not start a discussion of all of the advantages that make the Viper superior, let's just limit it to questions of sort of comperable vs sort of comperable cost)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will get color info in January. I would think that the majority of the first ones will be in red again?

As for Corvette pricing, if they did that do you know how hard it would be to get one? They would have to dramatically increase production to meet that demand. I would LOVE the cheaper price, but could we deal with the lack of production?

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why WOULD it be more expensive (save the supply and demand game, which the dealers end up winning on)?? I mean they saved like 10k on the hood, everything else is kind of additions/refinements to the 2001. Yes, it's a much better car, but 20k better? COmbine with their projections of higher #s, I think those of us expecting 90k will be surprised.

And as for as competitive with the vette. If the viper comes out in the 40s, I am not getting one. Call me a snob, but if I see as many vipers in a day as I see Vettes, I'm visiting the Ferrari dealership. There is something to be said for exclusivity, and being an individual.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Vipers got over $72-75k, I began to lose interest in the prospect of buying a new car. With striped ACRs pushing the mid-$90's - and not selling for months (and months) - my observation is that they are just too expensive for most buyers. A few more bucks and many potential Viper buyers move on to 911 Turbos.

Nobody knows what the economic future of the US will be 1-2 years out, but most stock portfolio returns have been in the toilet for the last year and I don't forsee any substantial turnarounds in the offing.

People are _working_ for their money again and it's not as easy to part with. Nobody's buying high sticker Vipers on floorplan around here. In fact, several folks have lost jobs and are selling Vipers.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Nsane" one took the words right outta my mouth. Luv ya Greg!

Look, we already know that we are SO lucky because there are some REALLY smart people involved with our Viper program in Detroit. Haven't they done pretty good for us so far? Let's give them more credit than pricing it at $90k.

Let's just look at some pure logic here. Like Nsane said, right off the bat they've saved a PILE of money on the hood alone.... in my opinion possibly enough to offset ALL of the other engineering improvements. SO, should the car really be THAT much more expensive than somewhere between a current stock Viper and an ACR? I don't think so.

On top of that...... does it make any sense at all that Dodge would do the awesome Competition Coupe for $100k, and then justify charging almost that much for a pure stock Viper, without all those "goodies", produced for the general public? Again, I don't think so!

Put this together with the that fact they are planning on eventually producing even a few MORE Vipers for yearly production than in the past. Now, does it make a whole lot of sense that they should be pricing this car much higher than the one we have now? Did I say..... I don't think so before?

I would definitely be interested in hearing the logic from any of you that think the car might be priced something more than that. But, you'll have a REAL hard time convincing me. Give me a VERY nice removable hardtop, some stripes, a cover, and MAYBE, just MAYBE, you might bump me to the low to mid 80's. If not, I don't see anything that tells me more than 80 tops makes much sense, and the upper 70's looks even MORE logical. Of course, this is all just my opinion.......... I've been wrong before.... maybe once....!
laugh.gif

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen The King wrong. I didn't even consider the comp coupe! Heck yeah, that's true, no way we're talking 90, that just makes no sense that they can make 30 one-off bad-a** cars for 100k, then go and sell 3000 at 90.

I'm calling my loan officer, I'm gonna get 2 now! Hey how do those certificates work if I want 2?? (playing, 2 vipers is plenty for a dude that gets to see them 4 times a month).

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same price I would think, no more than a 5K increase. I doubt they will drop the price and leave all the other Gen II owners holding the bag.

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the cost of the competition coupe is any indication of the price of the 2003. I firmly believe that DC is really biting the bullet on the coupe to support us and ViperDays/racing.
If we could afford it, we would be out playing with the lucky ones to get a coupe. I think GM helped a little with the 'kit' Vette, but DC is REALLY helping with the coupe. We all owe DC big-time for their concern for us and our cars. There certainly is no money in it for them in the coupe. (except for the excitement!!!!!)

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want BLACK! DC are you reading this?

I think the price will most likely be in the $70,000-$75,000 range

This would be my 5th Viper and If I'm lucky enough the Comp Coupe will be my 6th. It will definitely see some track time unlike my 1:1 scale GT2 in my Viper Pit.

Better yet... after you buy your 5th new Viper DC should give you the 6th for 1/2 off. What do ya think?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feels like $80-85K is the price- and I expect there will be three colors like there have been in the past. Red for sure-
What are the other colors??? Carryovers from '02 might be a bet- but then.......I WANT YELLOW!!!!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the savings in production costs there is no way DC can justify any type of price increase over a 2002. Dodge is showing loyalty by providing "1st dibs" to current original owners, please don't blow it by over pricing the 2003!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think they are going to go for over sticker? A car that is that limited and has a decent demand is probably going to go for over 100K for a while