Problems...problems... problems...

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check engine light came on then the little lightning bolt looking light cam eon. Strated flashign and car went into limp mode. SHut car down for a bit. Started it back up, no lights, ran normal. Now for the past few days the damn alarm just goes off for no reason. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a low battery condition due to faulty alternator or voltage regulator.

Flash
Taking it down to the delaership hopefully tomorrow. The alarm going off at 4am is really NOT COOL. lol. First few times of me running into the front yard with handgun drawn in the wee hours of the morning wasent fun.

Faulty alternator or voltage regulator sounds like a relativly easy fix.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason to take it to the dealership if it's only a battery(unless it's covered under warranty :D ). If it's not cover, change it out first.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guessing the trouble is always easier if a few things are made known...such as the year of car, mileage.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick...that helps.
Unless you have time, tools,and correct scan tools, agree with a trip to the dealer!!! If you happen to get a CEL between now and then, don't clear the code...let dealer put a DRB III and a StarScan/StarMobile on it.

Just for interest, have you had any module flashes or sensor changes completed? Color of Viper (fishing for approximate build time or ''batch'')??
Good luck, and please keep us posted!!

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick...that helps.
Unless you have time, tools,and correct scan tools, agree with a trip to the dealer!!! If you happen to get a CEL between now and then, don't clear the code...let dealer put a DRB III and a StarScan/StarMobile on it.

Just for interest, have you had any module flashes or sensor changes completed? Color of Viper (fishing for approximate build time or ''batch'')??
Good luck, and please keep us posted!!
Only thing done to the car was a re-flash last time I was there for an oil change. The car is ssg/w blk stripes.

Wont the code still be in the memory?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes, it should be as long as no one cleared it...and you get it in before too many more drive cycles.

You need to run the VIN and check on cam sensor RRT and possibly crank sensor. An RRT means that it should have been replaced BEFORE dealer delivery. Have seen Viper red and SSG that both needed cam sensor replaced befo delivery. Cheap part, take
half hour (as long as tech does NOT follow the 08 directions which are wrong on Dodge CD!!!!).
Keep in mind...I'm arm-chair, shot-gun guessing...not addressing alarm :)

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, it should be as long as no one cleared it...and you get it in before too many more drive cycles.

You need to run the VIN and check on cam sensor RRT and possibly crank sensor. An RRT means that it should have been replaced BEFORE dealer delivery. Have seen Viper red and SSG that both needed cam sensor replaced befo delivery. Cheap part, take
half hour (as long as tech does NOT follow the 08 directions which are wrong on Dodge CD!!!!).
Keep in mind...I'm arm-chair, shot-gun guessing...not addressing alarm :)
not sure if any sensors hev been replaced or not. My memmory dosent serve me that well. I just drop it off and they fix whatevers wrong. LOL.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn it.... called the dealership I always go to and the service advisor that always took care of me is gone. New guy dosent seem to knwo *** I'm talking about.... They have to replace the glass in the back hatch again because they didnt remove the struts first when they did it the first time and its thrown the hatch out of alignment. Least I saved all the emails from the past service advisor about them screwing up and it being covered by warrenty. grrrrr what a pain in the @ss.......

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If the alarm switch is indeed on one strut (like on a Gen II), THAT may be your alarm problem...sorry that I haven't actually looked that on our 08 to be certain.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the alarm switch is indeed on one strut (like on a Gen II), THAT may be your alarm problem...sorry that I haven't actually looked that on our 08 to be certain.
I have no clue where the switch is. The glass had come loose from teh hatch back around Dec. Had it pulled out and reinstalled. Just havent had any fre time to get back to the dealership to have this removed adn fixed correctly. The alarm situation has only been hapening for about the past 2 weeks. Thought it might have been a cat or from the strong winds we were having at the time but after watching the CCTV system there was no animal or anything involved. And just yesterday middle of day I was in teh yard adn the alarm starts going off. Nothing around, no wind, no nada. So hell if I know.... All I do know is its very frustrating.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
yeah, it is frustrating!!
I just glanced at our 08, and did not see the decklid ajar switch on either strut. Actually, I'm not sure just where it is...will try to locate when I have more time...and review the CD of the 08 manual.
Hope they can straighten it out for you soon!!

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, it is frustrating!!
I just glanced at our 08, and did not see the decklid ajar switch on either strut. Actually, I'm not sure just where it is...will try to locate when I have more time...and review the CD of the 08 manual.
Hope they can straighten it out for you soon!!
Much appreciated. Had the car washed yesterday and actually made it thru the entire night without the alarm going off. maybe it was just pissed about being dirty. LOL

My buddy said something that kinda struck a cord with me. All these alarm problems started 2 weeks ago. The day after one of my best friends passed away. Said maybe its his way of playing a joke on me. Coincidence? Prolly so. But nothing suprises me anymore.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SORRY about your friend.

Will be very interesting to read any possible codes pertaining to VTSS, PCM, etc.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Reminder from a recent post that I made:

''In this case "2008 Wiring Diagrams Viper "...on page 8W-18-3 it shows several entities on the PCI bus:

Module-Anti-Lock-Brakes, Module-Body Control, Module-Occupant Restraint Controller, Cluster, Controller-A/C-Heater, Radio, Module-Gateway, Receiver-Satellite, and Radio (shown twice).

On page 8W-18-4, it shows "Module-Power Train"is on the CAN bus.

Hope that this helps...''

DRB III reads PCI bus, StarScan & StarMobile read CAN bus.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reminder from a recent post that I made:

''In this case "2008 Wiring Diagrams Viper "...on page 8W-18-3 it shows several entities on the PCI bus:

Module-Anti-Lock-Brakes, Module-Body Control, Module-Occupant Restraint Controller, Cluster, Controller-A/C-Heater, Radio, Module-Gateway, Receiver-Satellite, and Radio (shown twice).

On page 8W-18-4, it shows "Module-Power Train"is on the CAN bus.

Hope that this helps...''

DRB III reads PCI bus, StarScan & StarMobile read CAN bus.
OK I feel like I just read something in Russian. LOL. You went and got all techy on me. lol. I do believe the package for the reader said it reads CAN bus tho.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
yeah, if the CEL is on...doubt you will get impending codes that way...and you certainly won't get anything that pertains to the alarm system!!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, if the CEL is on...doubt you will get impending codes that way...and you certainly won't get anything that pertains to the alarm system!!

I don't know how the newer systems work, but on my Jeep, any codes that are saved in the system show up - even if the CEL isn't lit. At every oil change, I do the key-on key-off thing just to see if any codes got saved and every once in a while the odd code does show up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456