Programming remote controls

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 00 GTS and I bought a new remote control fob(as a spare) for it and don't know how to program it. The dealer didn't know either if you can believe that! Am hoping somebody can help me. Also, when it comes time to change the battery in the remote, will it need to be reprogrammed? Thanx guys

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 00 GTS and I bought a new remote control fob(as a spare) for it and don't know how to program it. The dealer didn't know either if you can believe that!

That is pathetic:crazy2: My dealer was able to plug the computer into my OBD2 post and program her.

Also, when it comes time to change the battery in the remote, will it need to be reprogrammed?

nope

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, if I remember correctly you just ground out the green wire to the ODB connector and pus the buttons on ALL your remotes to program them.

Ted

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's make this easy:

1. Ensure the alarm system is not armed.

2. (1996 ~ 1998 GEN II) Ground pin C13 loose green wire taped to harness of EEM connector, which is under dash mounted on the left side of trans tunnel, directly above accelerator. Easy access if you remove knee bolster and rubber bungee cord that holds EEM to tunnel.

2A. (1999 ~ 2002) As #2, but instead of C13 you're grounding Terminal 1 of the DLC, Data Link Connector, i.e. the under dash OBD2 connector which is above your left knee

2B. (ALL GEN I) Ground green "Program" Wire located next to SAM and RKE modules. Is a green wire with a bullet connector on end. Is located under driver's side instrument panel.

Hint, Make sure you're connecting to a solid body ground by testing it with an ohm meter.

3. Turn ignition to run position while green wire is still grounded!

4. EEM acknowledges entry into programming mode by flashing the dash LED. If it doesn't flash, you either:

- Have the wrong wire

- Aren't solidly grounded

- You came off ground after the ignition switch was placed in the run position. Start over.

5. (All GEN II) Press BOTH buttons on the transmitter simultaneously and continuously for 10 seconds. You will hear a triple horn chirp when FOB is accepted by the EEM.

5B. (All GEN I) Press and release the arm or disarm button on either FOB, then same for the next.

Hint: Make sure your transmitter is working, i.e fresh CR2032 battery $1.19 @ Zbattery.com and good clean battery contacts. Many times your problem is an electrically weak connection within the FOB itself.

6. You MUST program all FOBS during the same programming process. You can program up to 4 on a GEN II and I think only 2 on a GEN I.

That's it. Turn the ignition off and remove green wire from ground, then test the arm and disarm functions.

I've done 4 FOBS myself and found it quite easy once you find the green wire.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ron

Which is terminal #1? I can't find my shop manual.

Ted

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed your post Ted. Will check in the morning and report back as I don't remember offhand.

Happy to help Nick!

Ron

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. It's the most obvious one but I NEVER ground out wires without knowing first if it'll blow something up or not. This diagram makes it easy

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, can this procedure be done in the parking lot of a pancake place in Indy?? :)

I need to order an extra key fob here soon, figured supervision would be a good thing for me walking through the procedure above.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See no reason why not. Especially if it's a nice sunny day, about 70 degrees! Just print these directions out and bring an alligator clip or even better a alligator clip terminated jumper wire.

AndyM23456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank You Ron.

Now to make it more difficult...what do you do if the the security system was armed and the battery died and you don't have a working fob?

I have two new one's, but without the old one I can't get past the first step of your process.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Andy
'96 R/T 10

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Andy, a solution exists...BUT, with no history here, most owners will not share same with an unknown person who MIGHT not be an innocent owner. Take no offense at my remark...and still feel free to call me. Be prepared to disclose a lot of traceable info before the solutions are offered.

I see your thread in the Gen III &IV section gives a little more info on the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62