Project Heads & Cam Gen III Underway!

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I got started on my NA heads and cam project. No big surprizes during disassembly. The only broken parts were my plug wires - almost welded to the plugs and pulled the wire right of off the boot. I know I was warned but geez those things are tough. Had to be creative to get the intake off as most tools will not get down into lower allen heads - universal worked fine. Here are some pics. Question for Tony..... How did you "pin" the crank as discussed from the Wizard? Heads should be off tomorrow. :2tu:
Here are the build specs:
Comp Cams - Custom Grind 3634/3635 + 4
(232/236 Dur at .050 .601/.606 valve lift on 1.7 Rollers
Manley Valves SS: 11643-10, 11644-10 2.02 and 1.60
Harland Sharp 1.7 rocker arm
Isky springs 8305
Isky valve locks VL10-5/16
Comp Cams Retainers 1732
Comp Cams Spring Cups 4772
Comp Cam push rods TBD
Head work: me and Greg Good
NEW PLUG WIRES, HA!

You must be registered for see images attach

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DLM can key the crank while it is IN the car. not sure how far you are from doug, but might be worth looking into.

keyed > pinned

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great project Atppilot,

With your parts list & machine shop, you should shortly be a member of the NA 600 plus rear wheel HP club. Good luck on your build!:usa:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More work today!!!! Now for the question since it's the end of the day and I just attempted to remove the timing chain cover. WHAT'S the secret? This thing must be welded on! I hit it at the most reinforced areas with a block of wood and hammer, but it would not budge. Yes, I have the oil pan off.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice build man!!!!!! Wish I could have talked to you about the harland sharps 1.7 pushrods..I have these as well and have had them give me problems twice in the past 3 years. Arrow racing no longer sells them as they have had numerous problems with them.

But nothing that a yearly inspection/retorquing cant fix...Thats all mine ever seem to need.

I cant wait to see the results!!!!! That sounds like a 600 rwhp combo to me!

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whew!!! Timing chain cover off! Talked to Chuck this morning and said to use putty knife. I used an exacto knife as well to cut away welded rubber gasket. In the pic you can see the resudual rubber gasket around the top water jackets. I have done this before, but i guess I was just not agressive enough - damn, I didn't want to break the cover. Here are a couple of motorhead candy shots of delivered parts yesterday. Now it's time to clean all the tools, work area and parts. Cam should be here on Monday. BTW, Thanks Twister! I am hoping for 600, but 580 will be fine as well. I love the sound of a nice lopy cam, but had to get the heads done since I had to do so much surgery to get to the cam anyway. RE: The Harland Sharp rockers. I did a lot of research and found them to be perfectly situated between price and functionality - this cam is not overly tasking on the valve train - time will tell. :headbang:

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for Tony..... How did you "pin" the crank as discussed from the Wizard?

Which Tony, me? :dunno: If so, what I did to pin my crank was to use the Roe crank pin kit. Since I had the balancer out, I put it in my bench vise and used the Roe kit to drill the two holes. Then I mounted it back on the crank and finished drilling the holes into the crank snout. I was able to maneuver quite easily in the engine compartment because I had my engine tilted up for easy cam removal/installation. A normal drill fit in just fine. Others have used a right-angle drill to get into the tight space. Here's a pic of the engine raised/angled up with the crossbrace move out of the way. Hope this helps.

CCV_Orifice.jpg

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Received the call from Greg today - HEADS ARE FINISHED!!! They should be here on Fri. The Comp Cam is in and front drive assembly back on. The engine is all cleaned up and ready to receive the new babies. Just have to install and check push rod length with new rollers. Hopefully, I can get it back together on Sat. Results video soon. :headbang:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holly Molly that is one very nice looking project you got going on!! Wish it was my car, Like Bad Boyz said you will be putting down better than 600 NA HP soon, now thats some bragging rights. I hope I can afford to do heads and cam this year. Please keep us updated especially the final dyno numbers.

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Project Heads & Cam Gen III Underway! Update

"Good" god! These heads are awesome Greg - Thanks for all the work! Can you say 320!!!!! CFM. :headbang:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like a great package. You might want to upgrade the balancer while you have it off. Also, make sure you dyno the car and get a good calibration from one of the tuners on the forum.

Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dan - wildo.
BTW, for all you Harland Sharp guys, I called Harland Sharp to clearify the adjuster directions. Be advised that the directions are old. The new adjuster starting point(changed 2 years ago) only needs to be about 1/2 turn out from bottom when measuring for push rod length. Do not go out until 1 thread is showing on the bottom. Also, There is no oiling channel in the treads to worry about as stated in the "old" dirctions as well.
Hope this helps. My motor should be ready to start tomorrow.

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's alive!!!! :headbang:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TBFM5M49Zk[/media]

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car sounds great. I am certain that gallop will quickly turn into a roar when the fat foot hits the floor. Can't wait for some WOT vids :D

OP
OP
A

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great comments. Thanks to Chris at DC Performance, I have downloaded my initial round of his tune. Car runs a lot cooler and has tamed a little of the surging at 2000rpm plus. Tire burn and revs vid to follow as soon as we are sure all air/fuel ratios are in safe zone. Have yet to go above 4k rpm - taking it slow until I'm sure I have no post build issues; kinda going through a test plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth