Pulling the plug on my Roe Supercharger

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased this system used from a guy in Texas,(less than 500 miles on it) It was one of the first units produced by Roe with the VEC I, He purchased a VEC II thinking this would be the fix to his many problems. Several hundred dollars later in the computer software, card writer and dyno tuning it still set off his Engine warning light and ran like ****. #10 plug consistently fouled, so he gave up and went to a Twin Turbo in which he has relayed to me no problems. He informed me that i should send the VECII and the wiring harness back to Roe to have it inspected. I did that, they reflashed the VEC II and never looked at the wiring harness. While it was being inspected i purchased Roes Performance PCM (what a Major waste of money!) I get everything back and take it to the Only Viper Mechanic in Wa. He installs everything but the engine warning light keep going off ?? I thought the Performance PCM was supposed to fix that. Find out the a couple of resistors or diodes in the fuel injector bank sensor (little black box next to the vec, please excuse my ignorance) were bad, thought Roe would have found that when he was supposed to inspect my wiring harness. I get that problem fixed Many trips to the shop and Viper tech $$$ I drive it home get 10 miles down the highway and it starts knocking like a Rap star. Im pretty ticked off and worried about the engine at this time, Post a few questions on the forum all the feedback i get is to have it dynoed. I take it to a dyno who is very familiar with Roes System, he call me a few days later come pick it up all is well. Im stoked finally it's working, I get 10 miles down the highway i start hearing the knocking again. Im really upset at this moment and would really like to enflict some of the 21 years of Special Forces training i have recieved on someone or something. I schedule another appt with the dyno guy, he cannot get the tune to hold he thinks there is an adaptives issue- so send the PCM, VEC II back to Roe. He says works fine but my PCM is shot, Im thinking well i bought it from you how about fixing it?? no luck on that it's an electric component not covered by ****, and i must have jumped someone elses car or put a battery charger on my car and that caused it to fry- like id offer to jump someones car in my Viper(which wouldnt run good enough to take it out of the garage). I have never put battery charge on my car as well. My Dyno guy calls me and tells me to mail him my original PCM which i do, he reinstalls the VEC puts it on the dyno with a program card from Roe. He tells me it was running so rich it pegged out the A/F reader on his Dyno Machine, He finally gets it Dialed in except one issue it has a hiccup at about 3 to 3.5K RPM's not a detonation issue but a sudden drop in power which immediately picks back up and runs strong. He calls Roe and Roe says its probably my AB's Spark plug wires that they run to many OHMs per foot. So that leaves me at putting a new set of wires on and then putting the car back on the dyno More$$$$$$$ and then what's next?? My aspirations of a bolt on no frills supercharger have been shot to hell.
Just FYI;
2001 GTS
Bellanger Headers
Random tech cats
T&D Rockers
Smooth tubes
K&N's
5lb Pully
16000. mileson the car. 235miles on the supercharger (to and from the Shop!)

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry for the last post. I couldn't resist. I'm sure you'll receive lots of replies. I for one have had a Roe SC for about a year now and am happy to say 3,000 miles , later, I have no issues. Did the install myself and basically am just running off the cards that Shawn has sent. I think you'll find that Roe Racing will help you out if given another chance. Don't give up. It sounds like you're a victim of unrelated multiple issues that need to be worked out one at a time.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Greg,
To my knowledge and your description, you've had the following occur with the used system installed.
1. The VEC wiring harness has a load board in it that sends a fake injector pulse to the PCM so the CE light does not come on for an open injector circuit code. Your board had a bad resistor and set a code. Resolved.
2. The tuning for your system is off (with mixed parts for a used kit, that could easily happen). Should now be resolved now.
3. Alex couldn't get the engine adaptives to change when altering the VEC tune. He sent the PCM and VEC in and I tested it on my car. Your PCM would not start on my car. Don't know why, but it wouldn't start and I asked him to see if it started on your car when it went back (never heard). I see them go bad when a battery charger is used and the engine is started with the charger on and that's all I could suggest may have happened. The VEC was operating 100%. Sorry about the warranty, but we buy the PCM from Mopar and they do not warranty electrical items.
4. Alex called Monday and said everything was fine and he was happy, except the engine had a point at 3,500 where the power dipped. I told him that wasn't any kind of expected condition and to log to see if something was happening with the fuel or ignition curve at that point. He said nothing showed up, so that means it's most likely a secondary ignition issue, which leaves only wires and plugs. I have seen wires cause that stumble and you're not the first to be frustrated by it. Should be resolved soon.
Sure, you've had a few things come up, but you bought a used system and you have to expect some possible issues with a mix of parts.
Chin up and let Alex try swapping the wires.
You're almost done.
Regards,
Sean

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have been VERY happy with my Roe for all 3K miles or so with no issues. I also have the AB wires on my car and they work great.

Good luck in getting everything resolved. A well tuned roe car is a daily drivers dream.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definately go for a set of MSD wires. They are tried and trued to have some of the lowest resistance and yet great noise reduction. They can be bought for $91.95 from Sean. Keep going back to Sean for help. He's not perfect, but he doesn't try to sell you something you don't need. You just have a lemon of a situation going on, you'll get past it. I would be a little pissed about the fried PCM though, since you never got to use it really.

What plugs are you using? Get a set of NGK coppers for low resistance and the best performance. When it comes to forced induction, you need to get NGKs, period. Also, one stage colder can help with pre-ignition induced knock.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep working with Sean and don't give up. I know its frustrating but you'll be elated once the issue is found and resolved and you can drive that monster with a sh*t eating grin.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you say to someone with special forces experience that is mad???

:dunno:

....I guess you say, "Shoulda joined the Navy"? :rolaugh:..... and then prepare for the ground to come up REAL fast on ya when he responds.

Sorry... I had to! And I come from a ******** Army family all the way back to the Revolution, so it's not a "real" jab about the Navy. Coincidentally, it's only my mother's side of the family which has been Navy. And while none of the recent members have served as officers, the last one to work in the service of the Royal Navy was an Admiral and adviser to King George. So I guess we sorta respect the swabbies, too. ;)

From the sound of it, you have been able to make some progress in eliminating issues with the car. I've run into some serious headaches in the past with project cars, but it is all worth it once you exorcize the demons.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased this system used from a guy in Texas,(less than 500 miles on it) It was one of the first units produced by Roe with the VEC I, He purchased a VEC II thinking this would be the fix to his many problems. Several hundred dollars later in the computer software, card writer and dyno tuning it still set off his Engine warning light and ran like ****. #10 plug consistently fouled, so he gave up and went to a Twin Turbo in which he has relayed to me no problems.

So you bought a used system with specific knowledge beforehand that it did not work properly? And the guy who sold it to you gave up and swapped it out for a TT? And the TT having "no problems" relates to your supercharger...how?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See where you end up with a plug/wire swap. Make sure the plugs are gapped to .028.

If you still have a lot of problems with the tune, there are some other things you can check like Tony's suggestion about the MSD injector connectors. Also, since this was a bit of a pieced together system, you want to make sure that you have the correct match between the injectors and the load box. If you have the later low impedence injectors, you need a 2nd load box on your VEC2 since it has high impedence drivers.

Where about in WA are you located?

OP
OP
G

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
So you bought a used system with specific knowledge beforehand that it did not work properly? And the guy who sold it to you gave up and swapped it out for a TT? And the TT having "no problems" relates to your supercharger...how?

Yes, will never do that again. But the guy had it narrowed down to the VecII or the wiring harness I figured worse case buy a new VEC/wiring harness, and problem solved. The reason I went used was i got a really good deal on it. (traded 2 rifles for it)The realtion between the TT and the Roe is; The TT worked on his car (no gremlins under the hood) and The Roe did not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See where you end up with a plug/wire swap. Make sure the plugs are gapped to .028.

If you still have a lot of problems with the tune, there are some other things you can check like Tony's suggestion about the MSD injector connectors. Also, since this was a bit of a pieced together system, you want to make sure that you have the correct match between the injectors and the load box. If you have the later low impedence injectors, you need a 2nd load box on your VEC2 since it has high impedence drivers.

Where about in WA are you located?
I am in Tacoma Wa. My current plugs are gapped to .030 they are the plugs roe recommended. I will look into the MSD Injector Connectors. I have the Green injectors dont know much else about them.

OP
OP
G

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sir ??? :D

Greg, do you know if your injector connectors have been changed from stock to MSD connectors ?

I would believe they are the stock connectors, the Car was stock when i purchased it.
Are you recommending i go to the MSD connectors, or go back to stock if i was using them?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want the upgraded connectors. You can get them from Sean too.

I will not do a Roe s/c for a customer without replacing the stockers with MSD connectors. I have a Roe car in the shop now getting a stroker motor...stock connectors, it will go back out with MSD connectors. The MSD's have been coming with the systems for a long time, the problem is on a used kit it sometimes gets over looked. Sme deal with the car I am working on now, someone put a used Roe on it. I would recommend anyone with a power adder of any kind change the connectors.

This may not be your problem, but it sure did solve problems for a lot of other people :crazy2:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think a MSD fuel pump booster would help?

Not necessary at your power levels and it would just be one more thing to worry about. If you are concerned, you can have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail on the dyno and as long as you get a good steady reading of about 55psi, you should be fine in that area.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,
I am going to copy and paste my long saga below. It's something I wrote a while back. It might give you some clues of other things to check, but at a minimum, it will make you feel better about your own problems.

--- Ken
________
I installed the VEC2 when my car was NA car some time ago. As part of the install, I added supplemental grounds at the battery temp sensor, TPS and MAP sensor to the chassis. The car seemed to have some issues whenever I used the VEC2 to try to trim A/F or advance timing. It would stumble badly at times and seemed temperature dependent. Warm 80+ days were the worst. Running the VEC2 with the stock settings and the car ran fine no matter what the temp. I did a lot of troubleshooting with Sean including running the timing and injector circuits half with theVEC2 and half with the stock PCM, but could not get it totally figured out. I was also one of the first to install a VEC2 on a NA car, so some figuring out was expected. Since my plan was to install the SC, I figured I would just wait until the SC was installed and then go from there.

The SC was installed at a local Dodge dealer last spring. They had it dyno tuned by a 3rd party. This tuner had tuned 3 Roe SC’s before. A 5lb system making 530RWHP, an 8lb w/ H2O injection making 650RWHP and a head/cam/10lb system making 670RWHP, so the tuner seemed to be reasonably knowledgeable on the Roe SC system.

When I picked the car up at the Dodge dealer, I was given a dyno sheet showing 480RWHP. When I asked where the missing 100HP was, I was told that I would need to deal directly with the 3rd party tuner. To say I wasn’t thrilled would be an understatement. With my setup (6.5lb w/ water injection, headers, HF cats and catback), I expected to see something in the 575-590RWHP range on 92 octane fuel. I am running 3:55 gears, so maybe at least something over 560 at an absolute minimum. The dyno is a Dyno Dynamics system. From the above numbers and the fact that minor modified Gen IIIs have shown around 450RWHP, I think the dyno puts out similar numbers as a DynoJet, so the low HP isn’t just a dyno thing.

On the way home, the car ran crappy even though it had supposedly run smoothly when it was picked up from the tuner. It would cut out / stumble severely when I gave it any gas. I tried putting Sean’s standard program for my setup in and the car ran even worse and would barely even idle. It seemed to me there was an issue with the car and the car was essentially detuned to try to compensate for it, hence the low HP.

I took the car back down to the dyno and worked with the tuner. The water injection tubing fell out on the drive over to the dyno and watered down the engine. Got that fixed. While trying to tune the car, things kept changing on us. For instance, we would reduce the fuel and the A/F would get richer. Then we seemed to get things running fairly smoothly by dialing it in on the road and resetting the PCM. Once we strapped it back down on the dyno, it started crapping out again. Things just didn’t make sense. After 6 hours we finally just gave up.

While out test-driving it, it set check engine lights for misfire codes. I ordered and installed a ’96 PCM from Sean and that seemed to take care of the misfire codes and the car ran OK for a while.

I also installed an oil catch can in-line with the factory valve cover breather system to prevent too much oil from getting into the intake.

While talking to the Viper tech about my problems, he mentioned that the other recent Roe SC install had a 2nd box in the wiring harness while mine only had one, but he wasn’t sure what it was for. I did some investigation and found out that the 2nd box is used to adapt low impedance injectors to the high impedance drivers on the VEC2. I measured my injectors and they were low impedance (3 ohms). I checked with Sean and he confirmed I had a mismatch in the injector drivers and sent out the 2nd box to correct that problem. This issue occurred because I already had the VEC2 installed rather than getting it with the SC kit.

At this point, I am pretty happy since having a mismatch on the injector driver could seemingly account for the A/F and drivability problems that I have been having as well as the missing HP. Sean’s standard program now seemed to run pretty well in the car whereas it would barely run on it before.

I once again go down to the dyno and we start dialing it in. Once again, the car does not seem to be behaving properly. The A/F is still not responding to VEC2 programming changes as we expect. We finally just do a number of runs without changing anything and we see that the A/F is changing from 10.2 on one run to 13.0 on another for no apparent reason. We checked fuel pressure and it registered a good 55PSI throughout the RPM range, but something just isn’t right with this thing. We hook up a DRB scan tool and start poking around. We finally notice that the car is not going into open loop mode when we go WOT. Seems to make some sense that if the car is staying in closed loop mode, it will continue to try to adjust A/F using the O2 sensors when it shouldn’t be and perhaps cause the problem that we are seeing. Further diagnostic work shows that the TPS sensor is reading about 3.4V at WOT which is on the low side. 3.5V seems to be the minimum acceptable. To test if this is the root of our problem, we disconnect the O2 sensors to force the car to go into open loop. We do a quick pull and the car runs cleaner and the HP comes up to around 530 on a partial pull and the A/F looks more stable. Still low, but better than the 480hp we got before. With the problem ID’d once again, I pack up and go home after 5 hours on the dyno to figure out how to fix it.

At home I pull the intakes off and find that the throttle plates are not opening fully and hence the low TPS voltage. On Sean’s recommendation, I redrill the throttle cable mounting bracket to move it back towards the fire wall. Now the throttle plates open more fully and the TPS voltage has gone up to around 3.9V at WOT which seems reasonable. I take the car down to the Dodge dealer and have them plug in a DRB while we do some WOT runs and the car now seems to be going into open loop mode as it should. Great! Once again I am ready to get this thing tuned in. I also plug in a laptop and do a few runs on the open road and the A/F looks to be fairly stable from run to run, though not optimized which gives me further confidence that this thing has been put to bed.

Then my WBO started swinging wildly, so I stopped in at the Dodge dealer. O2 sensors were shot and I had to have them replaced. Possibly caused by driving the car for a short while with the front O2’s disconnected from power which I later learned can kill them.

I decide to drive the car for a couple of weeks and make sure that it is fully sorted out before I put it back on the dyno for the 4th time. It seemed to run fine, so I made an appointment at the dyno. The day before, the weather got hot (high 90’s), so I decided to take it out and test it in the hot weather one last time. The car ran like crap again! Basically cuts out or something under heavy throttle. Doesn’t sound like pinging or knock, but almost like a stuttering feel and sound and loss of power like a heavy miss or something.

The dealer did not install the better MSD fuel injector connectors and so a loose connection here could be a source of A/F stability problems, so I got the connectors and spent 6 hours tearing the inlet tubes and fuel rails off the car to get to the fuel injector harness so that I could change the connectors. This went smoothly, but wasn’t a simple task. I also ground down the stops on the throttle body actuator to try to get the throttle bodies to open a little further. Now the linkage hits the SC snorkel, but the TBs are opening 100% or at least pretty close to it.

Once again I drive the car and it seems to be driving OK, then it starts to act up again. I do notice some oddities like the injectors going to 100% at times when the car is not running well, but it seems to be a little unclear if this is a direct cause or not. I also have a problem with Cylinder #10 fouling out from running too rich even when I take about 1mSec of injector pulse width out of that cylinder.

I insert a 4.7K resistor in-line with the AIT to give a lower temperature reading and perhaps avoid the 100% duty cycle on the injectors as recommended by someone. The problem seemed worse and Sean said that the resistor trick only works on the 2000-2002 PCMs and makes matters worse on the ’96 that I have installed, so I removed the resistor.

Roe released new VEC2 firmware that he thinks will help my situation. He sends me a beta version to try before he releases it to everyone. I install the firmware (and new VEC2 software for the PC which has filtering on the fuel injector signals). Running the same VEC2 program as before, the car now throws lean bank 1 and bank 2 codes in about a 20-mile drive. Apparently the VEC2 firmware change has caused my car to run way leaner for some reason.

I ordered the EASE software from Roe and checked my adaptives which are pegged at +32. Sean decided that I should try to tune my car from scratch as he had run across one or two that were different than every other car out there. We programmed everything out of the VEC2 and started with just the adaptives. I adjusted the injector % to bring the adaptives close to zero at idle. Then the left and right banks were trimmed to bring them to the same level and the rear cylinders were leaned out using the individual injector offset controls. The injector % ended up being 74%, which is way different than what they should be - Typically in the 57% to 59% range. Also I had to run the right bank richer than the left bank which is the opposite of what Sean says he typically sees.

The car now starts to run pretty good, but is running lean during closed loop operation (16:1 - 18:1). Found out that the problem went away when I moved the O2 sensors back up to the header tubes instead of being in the collectors. Car now runs at 14:1 - 15:1 in closed loop as it should.

Final numbers came in at 571RWHP and 565RWTQ which I am happy with, though the torque seems a little low to me. This is also with me doing the tuning. I bought a WBO and laptop and do all my own tuning on the car now and just put it on the dyno for the numbers. The only outstanding issue for me is the huge drift on the tune that I get with temperature. A VEC3 upgrade is in my future since it should take care of this last problem.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are concerned, you can have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail on the dyno and as long as you get a good steady reading of about 55psi, you should be fine in that area.
55 psi even at full boost?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a lot of information. Many thanks for the effort to supply us with it.

I loved my first Roe car, it dyno'd at 598rwhp and 644rwtq. My sedond Roe car dyno'd over 700 and I'm seeing some minor tuning issues with it, probably being that it's one of the early Vec2's. Sean has shipped me the software uprgrades and laptop connections so that I can readjust the minor tuning issues.

With all the talk of MSD connectors that's something I'll look at when I go to work on my car this winter. There's still a few months of summer to enjoy my car though. I'm lovin' it!

Ted

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only downside to the MSD connectors is that they are bigger than the stock connectors and they will not fit between the runners of the intake manifold if you were to go back to stock.