1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchased my first viper and the dealer sold me a blown motor

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Viper1994, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Viper1994

Viper1994 Enthusiast

Hi all

I purchased my first viper a 1994 model and the dealer that sold the car apparently did not tell me the motor was bad. I was driving down i76 and the motor broke the number 7 rod. Being I'm not that mechanical does anyone have any leads on where to find a complete long block? Is this something I'm going to have to get used to? My viper has 37k miles

I also would also like to find some factory wheels

Thank you David

2. Nsane1

Nsane1 Enthusiast

Welcome to the world of Viper ownership, too bad your first post and first experience is not perfect...

I don't think you are going to find a Gen 1 long block... If you have just broken the rod, and not damaged the cylinder/block, you should be able to get it rebuilt. There are many trusted motor guys Arrow being the first I would call (in addition to calling the dealer who sold you the car). Not sure where you are located, but there's a reputable shop in AZ that does lots of Viper motors in addition to Arrow.

As to your "get used to it" comment, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. So please do not get used to it, if you crater your block, you could be in for some serious hurt.

The original 3 spoke wheels are pretty rare, if that's what you are looking for, there are usually some on ebay, and on the classifieds there is newer stuff. Most get off the factory wheels, for newer stuff, and used ones are pretty available (I think there are some in the classifieds). Ebay is a good source as well, as is partsrack, and VPA might have a few wheels left, but I think they are all gone...

Please let us know how we can help more, and I hope it gets better for you. FYI, a friend of mine just went through this on a gen 2, in total it cost 16k, he had some upgraded compnents, and used the original block, but just pointing out that this is unfortunately not cheap. Luckily this is pretty rare...

3. denniskgb

denniskgb Enthusiast

That really sucks. Sorry for your first experience. Did you get any type of warranty from the dealer?

4. Viper1994

Viper1994 Enthusiast

No warranty. It's ok. I'm just trying to find a motor to install. I don't have 16000 for a rebuild. Yikes. Is my broken motor worth anything

5. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Enthusiast

Flea bay always has engines listed. Relatively cheap

6. denniskgb

denniskgb Enthusiast

Go back and check classifieds here and viperalley too

7. DaJerseyViper

DaJerseyViper Enthusiast

The OP couldnt be more vague if he tried. How do you know you broke a rod? Is it sticking out of the side of the block? Usually a broken rod cruising down the road is due to 2 things 1) low/no oil 2) hrdrolocking the motor

You may have some recourse if you can prove they sold you a mechanically defective car that they knew was broken or leaking massive amounts of oil.

8. cigar

cigar Enthusiast

I've got to agree, I threw a rod in an airplane and was able to get it back on the ground but it was barely turning over, I also threw a rod in a '78 Chevy 3/4 ton and I threw parts all over the freeway.

9. CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun Has Left the Room!

Check your PMs.

10. Viper1994

Viper1994 Enthusiast

I unfortunately have no resources to go after the dealer. It's ok. I just need to find a motor.

11. TurboDrummer

TurboDrummer Enthusiast

How do you not have the resources, which I assume you mean is cash, to go after a dealer but you do to buy a new motor? If I bought a car of that value and drove it down the street and the motor blew, I'd be dropping it off......in their showroom.....through the window....

12. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Is "what?" something you are going to have to get used to? Blowing up a motor? Depends on how you drive or what the service history is of the cars you buy. It is pretty unusual for a Viper. So, you believe that the dealer knowingly sold you a car with a bad motor? I wouldn't be surprised; but, how do you know he knew? Is it a pretty reputable dealer with a full shop, or just a corner lot that buys auction cars and sells them?

Sucks that it happened, though. Like said above; tell us where you live and maybe we can direct you to a reputable shop.

13. Vipermann1

Vipermann1 Enthusiast

I would recommend calling Dan Cragin and getting his opinion and an estimate. No better Viper tech than him!!!!
    H worked on my Viper and it lasted 106,000 miles!!!! ... See my post.

14. Sybil TF

Sybil TF Enthusiast

I think he means always fixing broken parts in general.

15. agentf1

agentf1 Enthusiast

Sounds like you may be in Philly area from driving down i76 (just guessing). If so contact Fran at RPM in Delaware, he s primarily a ls motor guy but dres Vipers too and is very good and trustworthy.

16. Dom426h

Dom426h Enthusiast

Agent,
    I live in DE and havnt heard of that place.
    What is the full business name and/or address/website so that i can check em out.

17. Free2go

Free2go Enthusiast

Is there a psychologist in the VCA that can help me with something?:
    I don't really trust anyone who owns a Viper to work on my car unless I'm present, and I trust no one to be near my Viper that doesn't own a Viper. If you're a psychologist that owns a Viper, I'd appreciate your feedback...but in the back of my mind I'll probably believe you're full of $hit.

18. Mopar Steve

Mopar Steve Enthusiast

He does amazing work with Corvettes, and does our Vipers as well. I also give RPM a thumbs up.

19. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

20. Fatboy 18

Fatboy 18 Enthusiast