Quaife Sequential trans.???

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Petite Le mans Vipers ran this or a similar transmission, I thought they said about $26K for parts alone.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, search the word sequential here and on the alley and you'll find some info. As MarkJ said, really pricey. I spoke to one of the NV guys (Steve) who has a green comp coupe, no lift shift is killer, but so is the price!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Quaife Dogbox w/ sequential shifter in my VW. I had close to $12k in that. Dog box is not the best for street driving, esp with a stiff twin disc.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I looked into this last year. Even if you got the Quaife for less then $15k, you still going to need a Motec or Pectel for the no lift shifts. That's another 10-15 grand. You could PM "Vegas" on here, I believe he has/had a Hollinger set up on his Gen 3.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Petite Le mans Vipers ran this or a similar transmission, I thought they said about $26K for parts alone.

$26,000??

You gotta be DRUNK to spend that, for nothing short of a full-on racecar.

Drunk isn't strong enough to define the state of mind you'd be in to pay that.

More random banter here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/580976-Sequential-Shifter-for-Vipers

Dated but still applicable. It looks like the Holinger was the crazy expensive one and the others may or may not have held up or been tested at all.

I thought they were crazy expensive too. I have always heard $20-30K so I never looked into it.
I have looked all over the internet and I am coming up with similar number$...

For instance....
http://www.grdtuned.com/Transmissio...t_info.html?osCsid=13htbmoavsj3go0gj7v185do87

http://www.grdtuned.com/Transmissio...t_info.html?osCsid=13htbmoavsj3go0gj7v185do87

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...ight-gears-dodge-viper-6spd-9202-p-59601.html

$12,300.00 for transmission
$1000.00 for Quaife to Viper bellhousing

So $13K (parts only) or so for a brand name sequential???? And they have a warranty too...?
Don't misunderstand me, that a helluva lot of money.
But in relative terms, thats the cost of three OEM trannys.....

Unfortunately, this could actually be a cost savings for me........:rolleyes:

Mike, search the word sequential here and on the alley and you'll find some info. As MarkJ said, really pricey. I spoke to one of the NV guys (Steve) who has a green comp coupe, no lift shift is killer, but so is the price!

Thanks Mike. I did that here and on the alley. That's how I found this gearbox.

The Quaife seq. is rated at 750.bhp. That will work great because I am hoping to use this in my 08 dedicated track car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into this last year. Even if you got the Quaife for less then $15k, you still going to need a Motec or Pectel for the no lift shifts. That's another 10-15 grand. You could PM "Vegas" on here, I believe he has/had a Hollinger set up on his Gen 3.

Vegas is running a big HP UGR TT car. Power levels make a lot of difference here.

You don't need a stand-alone ECU to shift???? Are you referring to throttle by wire?

Otherwise, there are several options to momentarily cut power to shift.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no direct experience with a sequential, but did quite a bit of research...

The Quaiffe is $12,000 plus the bellhousing is another $1,000 or so. A driveshaft is required as well, but that's not a big deal. The "no lift shift" is an extra cost option. Below is the text from an email I received from the U.S. distributor for Quaiffe regarding this:

I’ve had a couple conversations with Quaife in regards to using a strain gauge shifter with their transmissions and I’ve learned that they discourage it simply because it encourages people to shift without using the clutch which stresses the dogs and decreases the longevity of the dog faces. Additionally, the piezo-electric crystal in a strain gauge does fatigue and will need adjustment throughout the course of it’s usable lifetime.

They prefer a microswitch setup for flatshifting since there is no crystal to fatigue or adjust, the micro switches are either on or off, depending on the location of the shift lever. They mentioned this company’s products specifically:
http://www.geartronics.co.uk/flatshift.htm

Feel free to get in touch if you have additional questions, or if there’s anything further I can do.

Best regards,
Scott Cole

Motovicity Distribution

I have been told that to shift these transmissions, all you have to do is lift ever so lightly off the gas, and it goes into the next gear very easily.

Yes, the EMCO is expensive; $22,000. It's heavy, too. The no-lift shift is another $2-3,000 IIRC.

Hollinger is another option as well.

The guys at Rockland Standard Gear would not sell me a dog ring transmission. They are adamant that these won't last in a Viper.

I have only used T56 and T6060 in my cars, with more longevity in the T6060.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no direct experience with a sequential, but did quite a bit of research...

The Quaiffe is $12,000 plus the bellhousing is another $1,000 or so. A driveshaft is required as well, but that's not a big deal. The "no lift shift" is an extra cost option. Below is the text from an email I received from the U.S. distributor for Quaiffe regarding this:

I’ve had a couple conversations with Quaife in regards to using a strain gauge shifter with their transmissions and I’ve learned that they discourage it simply because it encourages people to shift without using the clutch which stresses the dogs and decreases the longevity of the dog faces. Additionally, the piezo-electric crystal in a strain gauge does fatigue and will need adjustment throughout the course of it’s usable lifetime.

They prefer a microswitch setup for flatshifting since there is no crystal to fatigue or adjust, the micro switches are either on or off, depending on the location of the shift lever. They mentioned this company’s products specifically:
http://www.geartronics.co.uk/flatshift.htm

Feel free to get in touch if you have additional questions, or if there’s anything further I can do.

Best regards,
Scott Cole

Motovicity Distribution

I have been told that to shift these transmissions, all you have to do is lift ever so lightly off the gas, and it goes into the next gear very easily.

Yes, the EMCO is expensive; $22,000. It's heavy, too. The no-lift shift is another $2-3,000 IIRC.

Hollinger is another option as well.

The guys at Rockland Standard Gear would not sell me a dog ring transmission. They are adamant that these won't last in a Viper.

I have only used T56 and T6060 in my cars, with more longevity in the T6060.

Thanks for the info. That link has the "power cut" microswitch I was referring to. The site also has some other related parts and info as well.

I know the Hollinger and Emco can handle more power. Good for a TT or blower car. But they are atleast $10K
higher.

This seq. trans. would be going into a 600 HP road course car.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tree: I was leaning towards the Quaiffe for my uses (540 RWHP at 3,333 lbs). I knew Ben Keating had one in his Comp Coupe and he seemed pretty satisfied with it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine's Partner has a Quaife box fitted in his GTS, Ive been in the car and can honestly say its bloody great, I would love one but the costings are a bit out of my budget. You need to also fit a transmission oil cooler :)

But dont jump on one just yet, Ive just had an email from The Autosport show announcing that Quaife are launching a NEW Six speed gearbox in January

See link :)
http://www.autosportinternational.c...20-12-2011 to PROSPECTS (1)&utm_content=link3

bross

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on one for my tt car as soon as it fits in the budget, I look at it as paying it forward bc I'll most likely eat three stock style trannys before I know it. As far as a no lift shift you could run a wide open throttle switch and have it triggered off the shifter movement.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've run a holinger box in my TT car. Sold it to go emco. The Holinger is lighter than a stock t56, so is the EMCO, not sure ** they compare to each other. Don't know anything about the quaife. I drove the car on the street, it wasn't a challenge or difficult at all. I ran a motec, allowing flatshift up. Car was typically at the 1,100 hp level, sometimes turned up higher.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven them all, and worked with them! The Quaife ATB rear is good, their trans was not so ooh-la-la. Starter mount is OK on the other side, but in racing they gave a few issues; but stronger than Gen2 T56.
Holinger, I've installed and driven in a GT2 Comp Coupe, and a Gen2 out of a Le Mans car! Awesome ratios, awesome shift. You can install with Motec, Pectal, EFI for a no-cutch, and no-lift of the gas shift! ('quick' driver.)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speak to Dan at DCPerformance, they have wired Joels gen2 with traction control as well for a no-pedal fool-proof shift. Emco is the way to go, not for everyone at $26K a trans!

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've heard the quaife boxes weren't great, but have no direct experience with them.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some sequential 6-speed trivia...The Quaife didn't feature an internal oil pump, and starter mounts on the passenger side, still can get good support from Quaife. The Recardo just a dozen were specially developed for the GTS-Rs with a magnesium casing, they were $40k price tag, and limited parts! More commonly found is the Holinger, and these do come up for sale used from time to time for around $9k. They used a existing trans and made an adapter plate to fit in a Viper, so it sits mounted in a right-rotational position. There are 2 variants, the H6S-DV and the later RD6-S which features internal oil pump and removable input shaft. If you buy a used one, be warned parts are not cheap if it needs a rebuild! Then there's the Emco, specially developed for the Comp Coupe. A much stronger trans rated for around 1000 ft-lbs (where as the others are all around 750) and features easy changeable ratios in a cartridge. If you can afford one, this is by far the best sequential there is in many ways. With a carbon-carbon clutch they are even quite streetable (if you dont mind racing trans noise!) I drove one in USA a few years ago and loved it. It shifts nice and was trouble free racing, although there was good customer support if required. I believe a sequential trans is worth at least 0.2 - 0.3 secs on the quarter mile, can anyone confirm this?

Thought you might like to see these photos of a project I've been working with a UK trans company on. It's the prototype casing for a sequential 7-speed Viper transmission, pictured with a T56 casing. Rated for 1000 ft-lbs, featuring internal oil pump, and the ability to convert to a paddle shift at the steering wheel. The plan is to be able to build a close ratio racing trans with straight cut gears but also a street trans with helical gears and the 7th gear being an economy overdrive gear. The casing was bigger and heavier than I hoped for, but it has to be, to be strong enough!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow..! Thanks Nadine. That's just the type of "real world" info I was looking for....:2tu:

So...
Are you planning to build your project seq. trans?....:D.

Have you bolted one up and ran it?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it is quite a bit heavier! Project isn't finished yet, I want them to modify the casing a little, but its quite a few $K to cast casings, so I'm not sure if that will happen...

A friend was restoring a Le Mans winning GTS-R back to original spec with T56-R so I had the Holinger out of it, had it rebuilt, and fitted it up in my partners hill climb Gen2. Its a lot smaller and lighter to lift in on your own. I had to make a rear mount plate, and a spacer boss to use a Tilton HRB (a much nicer HRB than the OE weak casting which won't clear the input shaft OD) this was to run a McLeod Street twin clutch. You'll need a custom length prop-shaft too. An electronics mate also built a little LED gear indicator display to work with the resistances I measured off the potentiometer; you can buy a Holinger unit, but it was not cheap, so we made one! I also had a toothed ring made to fit on the prop-shaft so the '97 could still have a functional speedo, not a problem on the >2000 year Vipers since they read off a wheel speed sensor, not at the trans.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gear indicator looks exactly like the SQS one I had in my VW, but the card looks bigger. It was real easy to read. Nice work!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth