question about motons

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly is the re-charge kit for? Are these only for track purposes or do you have to perform mantainence on them every so often...? They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I am totally aware this is probably pretty darn close - sorry, I am noob.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can totally change the stiffness of the shock! Run as low as 175 or as hi as 225 psi
for track use, Wet -Dry-Aero, different tracks etc. Softer for street.

As well as Periodic / Seasonal Maintenance.

Motons are not really a set-and-forget suspension. Logbooks are a must for those who utilize the system to its fullest.

NOT a dumb question! Motons may be 'overkill' for those who want set-and-forget, but they have the potential to do much more......

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Jon noted adjusting the nitrogen pressure in the cannister has a direct relation to the stiffness of the shocks. Yes this adjustment procedure is used to dial in the suspension for track use, but also can be used to dial in the type of ride you are looking for during street use. More pressure - stiffer ride - less pressure more comfortable ride.

In talking with Lex at Moton he said you can run the shocks as low as 75psi. I tend to adjust the pressure based on the type of response i want from the car. Longer highway rides, i adjust pressure down to 125. For more spirited driving I dial it up to 185.

Lastly the Motons do tend to bleed down over time so it is importantly to at least have them pressurized every 3 or 4 months.

Not a bad question at all. When I first was researching the Moton suspension back in the day it was one of the first questions I asked.

What exactly is the re-charge kit for? Are these only for track purposes or do you have to perform mantainence on them every so often...? They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I am totally aware this is probably pretty darn close - sorry, I am noob.

Reaction score
The lower the pressure the softer the compression and stiffer rebound, vis versa for the higher pressures. As far as leak down I always suggest the owners have them checked each year or so. We have never seen one loose more that 10-15 psi in a year. If you run the car very low this is important so you don't bottom on the fender liners in the rear. You will need more pressure or higher spring rate.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, what's the easiest way to recharge? Send them in to someone or do it myself with the recharge kit. Do I really need a kit, or just find some nitrogen? Any special tools required? I rather not have to take them off the car as that was frustrating enough getting them in by myself.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to do some reading on how to check pressure, utilize the re-charge kit, etc. If any one has any helpful links, that would be greatly appreciated.

The car currently handles amazingly well, so I think I will check the pressure on them now (how do I do this?) and try to mantain it at that number.

I had a chance to drive another 08 SRTC a few days ago with the stock suspension... and holy freakin' molly, it was like driving a completely different car altogether. The amazing thing was that I always thought the Z06 was a great handling car with a great predictable feel to it. After driven on motons/eibachs w/ps2s...I am not going to be able to make that statement ever again and sound truthful...LOL

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just type "Motons" in the search function. When done with that, which will take up plenty of time, type "Nitrogen adjustment kit".

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to do some reading on how to check pressure, utilize the re-charge kit, etc. If any one has any helpful links, that would be greatly appreciated.

The car currently handles amazingly well, so I think I will check the pressure on them now (how do I do this?) and try to mantain it at that number.

I had a chance to drive another 08 SRTC a few days ago with the stock suspension... and holy freakin' molly, it was like driving a completely different car altogether. The amazing thing was that I always thought the Z06 was a great handling car with a great predictable feel to it. After driven on motons/eibachs w/ps2s...I am not going to be able to make that statement ever again and sound truthful...LOL

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just type "Motons" in the search function. When done with that, which will take up plenty of time, type "Nitrogen adjustment kit".

Thanks a bunch for the help...and for putting together a heck of a kit! I will check the pressures this weekend and become a little more familiar with the overall set up. :drive:

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+ / - ... what is every one running on the street? Starting from ( - ) ...how many clicks? Thanks!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any shock builder or performance outfit that tunes suspensions. It probably will require calling around. There arent too many places that are able. That is why I had to put this kit together.

So if one doesnt get Naders kit - who do you take your Viper to check/refill with Nitrogen :dunno:?

Reaction score
See below VVVV

The car currently handles amazingly well, so I think I will check the pressure on them now (how do I do this?) and try to maintain it at that number.

You cannot check the pressure without loosing about 25 lbs. so you need to have the correct fill/bleeder gauges and Nitrogen handy.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"You cannot check the pressure without loosing about 25 lbs. so you need to have the correct fill/bleeder gauges and Nitrogen handy."

Sure you can. Call Lex at Moton - 770-886-8777 - and ask him to send you a Moton pressure gauge / fill tool. Can't remember the price but it wasn't crazy.

I use this tool regularly and loose maybe 1 or 2 psi tops when checking pressure in the canisters.

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I have the tool and was over $100. . It was the first thing I purchased prior to putting together my portable Nitrogen Adjustment Kit. I have a cheaper option for pressure testing only that works just as well. I have found that being able to check the pressure is great but what if you need/want to adjust it? Also if you are not careful you can let some pressure out and without the ability to pressurize again, you are up the creek.

Having the ability to measure and adjust at the same time just makes more sense.

"You cannot check the pressure without loosing about 25 lbs. so you need to have the correct fill/bleeder gauges and Nitrogen handy."

Sure you can. Call Lex at Moton - 770-886-8777 - and ask him to send you a Moton pressure gauge / fill tool. Can't remember the price but it wasn't crazy.

I use this tool regularly and loose maybe 1 or 2 psi tops when checking pressure in the canisters.

Dan

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Naders Kit is a must and should actualy come standard with every set of Motons. Just me but without the ability to have full adjustment why bother. Kudosss to Nader for making the Kit up and I will say its a small work of art :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave