Question about new stowable hard top, Who has one???

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering who has bought a new stowable hard top from http://www.trunktop.citymaker.com/page/page/1012985.htm I was curious becasue I am interested in buying one for my car. I was wondering what people think of it? Does it keep the rain out? Can you get one without that scoop on it? Is is worth selling my existing hardtop for this one? Thanks

Chris Moore
98 RT/10

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got caught in the rain last night. 2nd time my car has ever seen rain. 1st time for the factory canvas top to come out of the bag. What a pain in the ***!! Never did get in totally put together. Fortunately it was just a passing shower and was over in about 15 min. My interest in the trunk hardtop has just gone from passive to seriously interested.

How much does one weigh as compared to the factory soft top? More, less, same?

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windows look interesting. You'll need them too since the shape of the opening changes.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that most of these Q/A have been discussed in a previous post. Try doing a search for hardtop of Trunk Hardtop and I think you might be able to find out a little more. Hope that helps.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the first one made for a gen II, right now I think there's a different model being made. It keeps the rain out well, but it is noisy and doesn't hold up well at higher speeds.

I decided to keep mine, as well as the mopar hardtop. I only use the trunktop for when I get stuck in the rain, but that has happened once or twice and came in pretty handy.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new design is what is shown on the website as the old version is out of production. This is a much improved model over the old but production of them is very SLOW. Although it's operation is simple, it is much more complicated to build than a one piece as good panel to panel to body relationship is essential for good looks. I'ts almost like building 3 tops. There are less than 20 of them on the street right now hence the lack of talk. 10 week wait once order is placed as we are way behind on production. I'll try to get some current owners to chime in.

Sorry.

Jeff

P.S. I don't even have one yet!!!

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming the sport pad has to be removed, what would the car look like when the top was off?

Included with the top is a kit that allows your sport bar to be taken ON or OFF the car with a simple push or pull. You simply push your factory sport bar back into place. Special brackets hold weatherstrip on G2 cars.

Jeff

Glenn02RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one and it makes the car look SO much better. Fit is very good and the convenience is the best. If Dodge would have made this top, sales would have at least doubled. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes to put on or take off. That Jeff is a genius. And once again, IT LOOKS GREAT!
Glenn

OP
OP
S

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the second generation top do with wind noise? Can you order it without the scoop??? I really like the looks of the top without the scoop. Can you shave some of the price if we do not want it painted or have the center scoop? I am a poor Viper owner.

Chris

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I have the new top and am very impressed by the design and quality (Gen 1). Jeff has done a great job and is striving to make this the best top ever. A couple of observations:

The top looks AWESOME on the Viper. In my opinion it really adds to the look of the VIPER - and in my completely unbiased opinion - it looks better than a GTS while still offering the benefit of going *******. After you put it on - you may not take it off - it looks that good!

I did not buy Jeff's windows as I am debating whether I will make my own or possibly modify my Vmania windows to fit. (It does not appear to be a very easy mod to make the Vmania's fit and I want to make sure I have a good feeling for how I want to modify them before hacking up a $1000 pair of windows.) I did make some progress today on my own window and have almost completed the frame and should have it complete by next weekend.

I ordered my top without the functional scoop as I wanted to minimize wind noise and eliminate another leak potential area. I was a bit concerned that it would look a little cheezy with the fake scoop - but I was pleasantly surprised - as it looks very cool and gives my "old school" Viper a more modern look. The top did seem pretty tight and there was no obvious wind noise or rattles. I did spend some time with the numerous adjustments that the top offers to try to get a perfect fit and came pretty close. I can not comment on water tightness as I have not gotten stuck in the rain or even washed my Viper with the top on as I do not have any windows yet.

I also did not order the bag that Jeff offers as I am on the cheap right now as well. Jeff will have to pass along his secrets for the best way to store the top as when I used an old comforter it took up a lot of room in the trunk.

I did some spirited runs (on a closed private track of course :D ) without windows up to about 120 and there was no obvious rattles or squeaks. Same speeds with the "mock" sport pad and it stayed firmly in place (although a third connection point in the middle might be nice). (I did not mention this to Jeff yet - but I think that the color of the mock sport pad could be a darker black as mine is more of a light black/almost grey color. I also think it could wrap more around the front to better hide the mounting brackets.)

I would definitely recommend this top to all RT/10 Viper owners. I would really get this top if I had a Gen 2!

All in all I would rate the top a 9.5 out of 10. I will try to put the top on and post some pictures soon.

In brief: Stunning Looks, High build quality, Easy On - Easy Off, and Jeff is a first class person to deal with.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket62,

Thanks for the nice comments. I am really looking forward to seeing your window design so I hope you can post some pics.

Can you order it without the scoop??? I really like the looks of the top without the scoop. Can you shave some of the price if we do not want it painted or have the center scoop? I am a poor Viper owner.

Chris

I should have a non-scoop version next year. You can shave $250 off the price if you want it in gelcoat primer.

Jeff

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm "assuming" only window fitment issues are with GEN I cars? Do GEN II power windows match up ok? Thanks

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That top looks excelent! Really smart engineering. Wish I had gotten one of those instead of the H-Boy tops for my RT/10.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm "assuming" only window fitment issues are with GEN I cars? Do GEN II power windows match up ok? Thanks

Gen 2 seems to fit good now. I had a little trouble with a couple of the earlier production #'s. In the end, it is like any other new product concept in that it improves more over time.

Jeff

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW,

It has been a while since I've seen the first version of the top. It is flatter than I remember. I must be getting used to looking at the newer one.

Pattymelt,

It seems you have a gen 2 top on your gen 1. How'd that happen? Your car looks great. I really like those wheels on a Gen 1.

Jeff

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the top was for sale on eBay for a good price, and I bought it. I am going to have some custom windows made to fit with the top. It fits perfect! :laugh:

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm chiming in late, but I'm another one with the new version of the stowable hardtop for my Gen1.

First off, I love it and think it looks incredible. Plus, as everyone else says, Jeff is a great guy to work with, and he really makes any of the possible pitfalls easy to deal with.

That being said, there were a couple issues I had:
1) the paint color didn't match very well, so i'll probably need to get it repainted.... eventually :)
2) the removable sport bar pad didn't quite match the side pillars... this was subtle, but i had them all refinished anyway in a carbon fiber wrap... looks incredible!
3) I'm not sure about the watertightness of the top, because i haven't gotten caught in rain yet. I do know that water definitely can come through the windows, but I haven't gotten around to playing with the weatherstripping to improve the seals.
4) I got the glass windows made for the top. It's great to have real glass, but the sliding driving side window isn't incredible easy to use. But, it's still better than not having a sliding window!

Overall, though, I *LOVE* the top and don't regret the purchase despite being probably the poorest of the bunch here (now a student :( It looks incredible, especially with the real glass windows. plus, jeff is great to work with. I hardly ever remove the top these days, and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

8731PICT0155-med.JPG

8731PICT0156-med.JPG

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top looks good, minus the fake air scoop on the roof. That just looks ridiculous. Maybe you could send it back and ask for it to be removed?

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree about the fake air scoop... i don't like it. i've gotten mixed opinions, though... some people don't like it, some think it looks really nice. it's grown on me. :)

OP
OP
S

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not like that scoop either. I just want one without the scoop but as of right now you can't get that. I also hope the cost goes down without that scoop.

Chris

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not like that scoop either. I just want one without the scoop but as of right now you can't get that. I also hope the cost goes down without that scoop.

Chris

I thought the air scoop was an option. Do all tops have the scoops and only ones who pay the added $395.00 get a functional air scoop? Or are nonfunctional scoop tops completely flat?

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the tops have the scoop. The option is to have it function. For those who want a total non-scooper, you'll have to wait until next year.

It's kind of funny, really. Last year I was bombarded with phone calls asking "when are you going to put a scoop on that?" Customer input was definately PRO SCOOP. The orignal intention was to have both available at once, but time got in the way.