Question about Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a dealer replaced the gasket/seal under warranty would you expect them to have changed the oil as well?

What's the SOP for work like that?

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they would have changed the oil, but, they might not have changed the oil filter.

Reaction score
If you had fresh oil they would not charge you for the oil change as Chrysler would not pay if the oil is old. They probably did not do the filter though unless you were due for a change anyway. I would not take it for granted though as we have seen some catch the old oil and return it to the car.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect them to but I would request that they do - for assurance that they didn't contaminate the oil prior to pouring it back into the vehicle. If they can assure you that the oil was stored in a clean and sealed container while the work was being performed, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were due for an oil change, then you could/should have made a request.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg:

Reuse the oil, I must take too good a care of my cars. That statement just horrifies me. Ever see the bottom of those oil catch cans, not exactly clean. Why should they be, dirty oil goes in them to be disposed of.

Reaction score
:omg:

Reuse the oil, I must take too good a care of my cars. That statement just horrifies me. Ever see the bottom of those oil catch cans, not exactly clean. Why should they be, dirty oil goes in them to be disposed of.

I doubt they would use that they would probably catch what they could in bottles and then top off what they missed.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt they would use that they would probably catch what they could in bottles and then top off what they missed.

A guy I used to work with at a dealership used to do this. He was too cheap to buy his own sythetic oil and since most of the customers would religiously do 3000 mile oil changes, he would take old oil bottles and catch the oil as it drained from the crankcase. He would then pour the oil into his car and run it for another 3000 miles...

:lmao:

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed. After reaching them via phone I learned they did save and reuse it. I can only hope it was correctly stored....

I picked up on a Saturday, so no service guys there to speak with.