Question about the noise my lift is making

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a local 4 post backyard buddy lift. We put casters on it and loaded it onto a roll back truck to get it over to my house, about a 20 mile trip. Once I got it in the garage I spent some time getting it adjusted so that it was going up and down level. It appears to be working fine except for this noise that it's making. Here's a quick video so you can see what I'm talking about.

You must be registered for see images

Does not appear to be a normal noise this thing should be making. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

TXCobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a different brand, but did the exact same thing...identical noise. On mine, there is a panel underneath one of the lengths that you drive on to. There are several pulleys under there and once I lubricated them, it was silent. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a different brand, but did the exact same thing...identical noise. On mine, there is a panel underneath one of the lengths that you drive on to. There are several pulleys under there and once I lubricated them, it was silent. Hope this helps.

What did you use to lubricate them?

does it do it up and down the whole trip?

Up and Down. I showed down on the video so you didn't get the motor noise thrown in there. I took it up to the 9th notch of 10 when I was adjusting it. I can only do about notch 2 or 3 with the car on it because of the low ceiling height.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i say like the previous person stated, pulleys and cables sound dry- get some silicone based lub in a spray can,

TXCobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, white lithium grease or silicone spray will work...I am quite sure this will fix your issue. when you raise the lift, do you see a plastic panel underneath one of the main planks? That's what you need to access.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stretch, I've go a pro-park 7 which I think is very similar

You need to lubricate the rollers inside of the posts. I can't remember the grease name, but it is dark red.

Get two cans and lots of plastic gloves. Glob it on the insides on all 4 corners. Run the lift up and down and then put more on. this needs to be done every two years. good luck, Mike

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must not have been used for a while by the seller, correct?
In that case, I agree with all above... it's just dried out.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a local 4 post backyard buddy lift. We put casters on it and loaded it onto a roll back truck to get it over to my house, about a 20 mile trip. Once I got it in the garage I spent some time getting it adjusted so that it was going up and down level. It appears to be working fine except for this noise that it's making. Here's a quick video so you can see what I'm talking about.

You must be registered for see images

Does not appear to be a normal noise this thing should be making. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Hey Jason..if it does need to be lubed there are aces to lube the pullys. I got a Zerg fittin with my lift and you attach it to the lift and greasethe lift that way. I will be Late tonight but if you can hang tight I can try to
Get you some pics.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason: I can tell you exactly what is wrong! I have a backyard Buddy also. The pins that hold the bearings on are out of lube. Backyard Buddy has since redesigned these pins with a zerk fitting and a hole so you can lubricate them without taking them apart. I used Never Seez on mine originally. After the noise, I purchased a new set of pins from Backyard Buddy. BUT I had one pin that I couldn't get out very easily. Ended up drilling a hole in the center and used a harmonic balancer puller to get the thing out. The set screw that holds it in place had come loose causing the pin to spin. Thereby creating a ridge around the end of it. No problems since I installed the new pins. I just shoot a little grease in them every two years or so. NO Noise now!

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, you guys rock!

Mine does have the zerk fitting at the center of the pulley at each corner post. Do you know what grease I should use on them?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, you guys rock!

Mine does have the zerk fitting at the center of the pulley at each corner post. Do you know what grease I should use on them?

If I remember correctly I was told any grease would work.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure we're talking about the same fittings. Mine also has the fittings at each corner. The ones that I am describing would be underneath the top ramp plate that you drive on located at each end. You have to actually get underneath the ramp in order to see them The pins hold each pulley on each corner (there are two pulleys underneath) not exactly on the corners. I'm not near my lift or I would send you a picture. I use just regular hi temp grease that I grease my tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, etc on my other car.

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure we're talking about the same fittings. Mine also has the fittings at each corner. The ones that I am describing would be underneath the top ramp plate that you drive on located at each end. You have to actually get underneath the ramp in order to see them The pins hold each pulley on each corner (there are two pulleys underneath) not exactly on the corners. I'm not near my lift or I would send you a picture. I use just regular hi temp grease that I grease my tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, etc on my other car.

Ok gotcha my lift was down so I was just looking at the 4 corners. I will need to lift it up tomorrow to see what the pulleys on the under side look like.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Jason got some pictures for you. You have 4 pulleys underneath located on the left side. The pins that hold these pulleys are dry and that is what's causing your noise. Like I said, you need to pull these pins out that are held by a set screw, lube them with never seez or purchase the new pins with zerk fittings from Backyard Buddy. Mine currently have the plugs in them. I'll install the zerk fittings when I'm ready to lube them. Good Luck!

A1998

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Jason got some pictures for you. You have 4 pulleys underneath located on the left side. The pins that hold these pulleys are dry and that is what's causing your noise. Like I said, you need to pull these pins out that are held by a set screw, lube them with never seez or purchase the new pins with zerk fittings from Backyard Buddy. Mine currently have the plugs in them. I'll install the zerk fittings when I'm ready to lube them. Good Luck!

A1998

Thanks for the pics A1998! I looked today and mine are exactly like yours pictured above. Need to get some never seez so I can get them lubricated. Any alignment issues when taking the pins out and putting them back in? Looks like there is a set screw on the top and the bottom, do I need to loosen both?

Look, just sell it to me already and then you don't have to worry about it :D

I don't know, seems like I can get it fixed and keep using it :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just kidding about Godzilla of course. I'm sure it's no big deal. These lifts are all pretty simple in nature. Check that all of the cables are clearing the areas they feed through. If you want to pinpoint the source have somebody operate the lift and use the old broomstick or screwdriver trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No alignment issues but the double pulleys are heavy with the cable wrapped around them. If you drop one, it will leave a chip in your concrete floor! May want to get someone to help you. Hopefully the pins aren't siezed in there or a groove worn around them. I had to use a harmonic balancer puller to get one of mine out. Loosen both set screws. Only a small potion of the pin sticks out at the bottom. Try to grab with a pair of needle nose vise grips or use a mega mega magnet!!

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the pin should come straight down toward the floor after getting the 2 set screws loose?

Hopefully these will come straight out so we don't have to try the extra convincing methods mentioned above.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, straight down. Can't go up unless you drill a big hole through the ramp floor. You can actually take the set screws completely out. I guarantee you the pins won't fall out! Try wiggling the pulley's to see if the pin drops any at all. Let me know how you make out. Good Luck!

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks A1998! You have been a big help. Drinks are on me next time I'm in Ohio :2tu:

G

Gotvenom 08

Stretch(bo)

Congrats on the lift.Now you need to adorn your lift with viper related trinkets.Stickers and magnetic stuff, even glue on reminders to just kind of make a shrine of the new addition.You need to be the envy of the "hood "you know.Now about your car color.......<<<<We will talk about that later :):rolleyes:

T

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely good advice. I plan to put a few things on it to spice it up a bit. I should get working on that :2tu:

I think the yellow is looking good in the garage still :drive:

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update

I finally got a chance to get the lift up in the air Friday to lubricate the pulleys. We pulled each set screw out and put a zerk fitting on to get the grease in and then reinstalled the set screws. Put the dd on it to try it out going up and down and it's completely quiet. Fantastic!

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.