Question for 1st gen owners please

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still another 12 months before I can buy my dream car.

I did just get 3 diecast vipers and was admiring them. I know wierd but its all I have right now. I just love the looks of the gen1 vipers maybe even a little more than the newer versions.

From what I know, they do have less power, no real windows, please correct me if I am wrong. The earlier versions may not even have AC. But the looks, WOW. They are the first Vipers.

So, for those of you who own or owned a 1st gen, what is it about it that made you buy it vs a newer model or keep it instead of trading for the newer generation ones.

I love the looks of the side exhaust on the gen1's and the gen3's better than the rear exhaust on the gen2's. I read that the gen2's sound better though because you can hear all 10 cyclinders.

400 or 450hp is more than enough to have a great time in. I am sure I could get used to not having windows and it would take a little more thought when wanting to go somewhere and making sure I don't have to park it out of site (not being able to roll up the windows and lock it).

something special about the first gen thats more raw than its newer brothers.

Only wish is that they came with black interiors.

opinions please and again thanks for allowing me to ask questions.

John

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen I is truly a "Raw" car. I referred to my Gen I as a Beast but my Gen II seems to be a bit more "convenient" with the windows and what not. The Gen I is a GREEEAT starter Viper. You can't go wrong with it. If you have never owned a car that falls into the "exotic" category, then you are truly in for a surprise. Half the fun if getting gas at the gas station dealing with people asking so many questions. It's like you become a celebrity.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog is right it has a surtain rawness to it GEN IIs don't have. That and the fact they where less $$$$$$s (A LOT LESS NOW) is the biggest reason I bought mine.

I do really like the fact that when I am on the track it is all me no antilock brakes like in the later GEN IIs.

As far as how fast they are it depends. I have raced many close to stock or stock GEN IIs and GEN IIIs with different results. Never lost a race from a dig. Tied most of my races from a roll. Although last time I raced a GTS I won the dig races and lost every time from a roll.

I do have a high dynoing car 421 RWHP 491 RWTQ my best dyno. With smooth tubes, K&N filters, no cats, no mufflers just glasspacks. :)

Although I mostly track my car on a roadcourse I have drag raced my car a few times. Best time was a 12.5 at 113mph

If I sold my GEN I and bought a GEN II I would miss my GEN I.

Watch out for headgaskets and buy a good car. You won't find another car more fun to drive. :2tu:

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I's are great cars, we've had our red/tan '94 since '96. Hardly ever drive it but when I do I always say I need to drive it more. It is a real viper, everyone knows what the car is and I get more attention than in our '99 ACR or our '06 or '08 coupes. Most '94's and 95's have air and there is (was) a kit to retrofit, but I never use the air, nice weather only, no top. I have a set of pelxiglass windows that are 3/4. I bought them in '96 and they guy who made them told me I'd never take them out and he was right. Had the back window out too since I bought it. But, these cars are a step back in time compared to gen II's and Gen III's, feels like a high quality kit car.

As "Early93" said, make sure the gaskets were done (fortunatley for me I got a free arrow rebuild at 10K miles), and, check the hood for cracking, especially around the passender side top vent. Mine cracked and they are nearly impossible to fix correctly (fortuantely I had a new one in warrantee too).

They are truly a classic and almost depreciation proof, you can get a great one for mid-high 20's and if you take care of it and keep the miles reasonable you'll probably get your money back or close. Good luck!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sidepipes
Open cockpit
A/C (some of the GEN 1's DO have A/C, dealer installed)
Money (8 years ago the GEN2 cars were way over my budget)
I dont need windows or any other "driver assisted toys, such as ABS etc.
I wanted a RAW, pure driving fun and did I ever get it!

I disliked the grey interior so much that the dash was painted red and complete interior was redone in black leather, no biggie.
My GEN1 dynoed 410HP/476TQ, which is more than some GEN 2's... So the 50HP difference is not that much in some cases, from a dig its tough to beat GEN 1 with its massive TQ,

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My previous car was a replica Cobra, which had no windows, AC, roof, radio... The Viper is a luxury car compared to that!

And there's nothing that a little change or add-on can't fix. Door poppers are $25, work off the factory alarm box and use the factory key fob. Don't need door handles.

Mediocre brakes can be improved to supercar level with 40mm brakes. Or if you have more bucks, Dave's brakes.

The 50hp difference isn't a daily street driving issue - you'll still have more than 99% of the cars on the road or track.

There is a year (94?) that AC began to be a factory option that probably all cars have.

Once you personalize it (my five points hugging me into a comfy aluminum shell seat) you won't see a Gen 2 as any improvement at all.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved my Gen1. RAW is all I can say.
I loved the sidepipes. I'm sure the fast food window workers did not as the sidepipes would shoot dust and dirt in their face every time! ha
I loved the smooth hood.
Having no windows was a negative most of the time. It was a pain trying to wash the thing having to take the windows out of the trunk and install them. I always drove with my windows down but it would have been nice to have power windows when stopped at a light and the huge diesel truck next to you decides to rev up! ha Plus, don't even try driving it in the rain. I got stuck in the rain for about an hour and I had a good two inches of water in my seat! My date did not like it either...

I wish I still had it. I needed to sell it to have some extra cash for my business. Now I'm back in the market. Really want windows but really want sidepipes...

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my very first Viper back in September. My initial plan was to buy a GTS b/c that was the one I fell in love with many years ago. As I got closer I started to side with the RT/10 for the top down aspect. Then when it came down to it, I could buy a gen 1 now, or keep saving for the gen 2 later. I bought the gen 1 and haven't regretted it for one minute.

This is the rawest car I have ever driven by far. It makes my Saturn feel like a luxury vehicle. I think the exhaust is a must. I have high flow cats and a Borla and it sounds real nice (altho I have little to compare to). The windows can be an issue but given the nature of the car I only drive it when it's nice out. When it was getting colder I would use the windows but they're not air tight.

The bottom line is that I 100% love the car. I love telling people that it has no windows or door handles because I get really weird looks. Next summer cannot come soon enough!!!!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love telling people that it has no windows or door handles because I get really weird looks.

I tell them that those were accessories (just like the hood loudspeakers) and since the car was so expensive, the original owner never checked them.
Thats how I ended up with no windows, no door handles and no loudspeakers, just the grills.... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

LotsaHP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To quote Bob Lutz:
"I'm frequently asked - especially by the Japanese who worship research - what process of market analysis led us to Viper's design," he writes. "There was none. I'd love to say we did a careful study and found that a huge segment of the ... public was just dying for a $50,000 car with no door handles, no real top, no windows, a big gas guzzler, no factory air, no C/D player, no automatic transmission, a steering column borrowed from the Jeep Cherokee, room for barely two people and next to no luggage space. But we didn't do a survey.
"We just decided it might be nice for a change to let our most impassioned car buffs design a car to suit their tastes."

I've owned my 94 for 9 years and wouldn't dream of giving it up.

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all of the replies. I do not know what I will end up with but I have it narrowed down to a 2006 or a gen1 if I can find a nice one. How can you know for sure if the head gaskets have been replaced on a gen1? I know the owner can just say it was done. hopefully they have a receipt for the work.

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many 1st gens out there do you think have not replaced their gaskets? we are talking cars that are over 13 years old right? should the gasket of blown by now even on a low milage one.

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gaskets on my 94 are fine so far, but it only has 5k on the clock. I have a new set for when that day comes though. It seems that most have let go somewhere around 15k recently.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of the above comments. I originally wanted a gen 1 but in Canada they were too expensive and as 1996 and prior Vipers are not importable into Canada from the US, I had to go with a 2nd gen. I was OK with that in the end as I REALLY liked the GTS's but to still answer your question.....

As for the gaskets, it all depends. Some cars with low milage may never have needed to be fixed. Lets face it, for all of them to fail within the first few thousand miles would be unlikelly. If that was the case I am sure they would have caught the problem earlier at the factory.

Robert

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all of the replies. I do not know what I will end up with but I have it narrowed down to a 2006 or a gen1 if I can find a nice one. How can you know for sure if the head gaskets have been replaced on a gen1? I know the owner can just say it was done. hopefully they have a receipt for the work.

On mine, you can look and see enough of the gasket peeking out to tell which style the car has. You can see from the top, but its easier if the car is on a lift and you're looking from the bottom.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was always something about gen 1's being hand built that was appealing to me. Now that mine has been hand built twice is even better! I loved the no-airbag steering wheels of the gen 1. I love the gen 2 hoods and have mine being shipped this week. I am basically taking the parts of the gen 2's I like and installing them on my gen 1. I've always liked the side exhaust but going to a smooth side cover to eliminate the black section. I have no fear of driving my car in any weather. I've had it out lastweek driving in 10 degrees! had it in the rain and with some snow still on the ground. Heck I have a remote starter installed on her so she's nice and warm when I go out. I do have glass windows and a one piece roof that helps out tons! I'm having the head gaskets done this month and doing 1.7 rockers at the same time. gen 1 have metal power steering pulleys but a weak bracket. gen 2 have a plastic pulley that can shatter when its cold out. having one explode at speed is not fun I know. Gen 1's have the strongest engine out there and are easily modded for more power via supercharger or TT. There are different things with every gen. My choice was always a gen 1 and add gen 2 things.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you know for sure if the head gaskets have been replaced on a gen1? I know the owner can just say it was done. hopefully they have a receipt for the work.

Chuck Tator was telling me that there is a certain spot on the block where the gasket over hangs and you can tell there. The easiest way is under the car, but I can't remember the specific spot at the moment. Give Chuck a call and he can walk you through it.

Mine has 19,400 miles now on the originals. I have a spare set ready to go in if I have any problems.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would quess that MAYBE around 50% has been changed.
(judging of the people I know have GEN 1's) Some have driven 50-70K without problems, mine went at 25K.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an unrelated lifter problem, for which the head had to come off. With 80K on these gaskets, the exposed part looked terrible, but the clamped section was fine.

186IM000006.JPG

186IM000008.JPG

186IM000010.JPG

I have heard that leaks usually appear as streaks of mineral-like deposits on the side of the block under the head gasket position. Looking from underneath is the best way. The antifreeze leaks out, dries on the hot block, and leaves the additives on the metal surface.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fingers crossed my head gaskets are still good.I am the third owner of the Ontario made '94 and the only part that i dislike is the interior.The grey is to flat and the color just is not good for the car.But hey when you buy a car that for years was a dream you deal with the down sides and realy enjoy the up sides.Plus who needs windows the car is to fast to drive in the rain.lol the up side JUST LOOK AT THOSE HIPS WOW lol. the cars just look mean and hot at the same time.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that leaks usually appear as streaks of mineral-like deposits on the side of the block under the head gasket position. Looking from underneath is the best way. The antifreeze leaks out, dries on the hot block, and leaves the additives on the metal surface.

And here is the result:
Head_gasket.jpg

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will add that you can get real windows (the driver's one will tip out for access) and a 3 piece hard top that will fit in the trunk and makes the car look even more exoctic. Always take the rear window out when the top is off. See my picture and you will see the top and windows. I can send you more information if you wish. Since the picture I have put Gen 2 wheels on it (looks great) and I am going to paint my dash red and I have red/black seat covers that look really nice and dress it up. Check here on the classifieds and check with John at Roanoke Motors as that is where I got mine. I traded in my 1970 Dodge Super Bee. I love the Gen 1 Viper. It is a "one car" car show everytime I drive through town. PM me if you want information on the windows and top. :)

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The primary cause for Gen I head gasket failure is corrosion. So owners that keep the coolant changed frequently, or otherwise ensure the coolant corrosion protection is good have less problems.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats an Ontario made 94? :dunno:

Robert

uhm wow shows that I can't type and talk at the same time:rolaugh::omg:.I was in a conversation as I was typing was suppose to be a red '94.Guess next time I read over my work.Wow those teachers did know what they where talking about when they said read over what you write..

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uhm wow shows that I can't type and talk at the same time:rolaugh::omg:.I was in a conversation as I was typing was suppose to be a red '94.Guess next time I read over my work.Wow those teachers did know what they where talking about when they said read over what you write..

But then again i guess it works cause the car was made for zone 21 Canada/ontario so some slip ups are good.Guess that makes it an ontario '94 kindda.lol

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved my Gen I. Was it crude? Definitely YES, but I am sorry I sold it. With that said, do not hesitate to jump into a Gen 1, especially now with the low prices out there!!!

Just be sure to check with Chuck Tator for a service history on any Viper you choose. Oh yea, be sure to buy your parts from him too...he's a great guy that truly deserves the business. :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper