Question for the Lemke three piece Folks

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a used top a while back and just got it back from being painted. I'm having a hell of time getting the driver side panel to fit. I'm going to give Jeff a call tomorrow on this but I wanted to take another stab at it today, I had to walk away yesterday before something got broke.

If the back of the top is latched in and no matter how hard I push back on the front panel I can't get the front latch to drop in. Obviously I realize the latches are all adjustable and I have them set as far back as I can get them. It's almost like the mounting holes for the front latch are 1/4" too far forward.

Did any of you guys who fit up your own top run into this? It might latch if I cut some of the weather strip of the back but I don't think that's advisable. While tight, the passenger side goes in and latches down. Does anybody have any hints for me?

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a used top a while back and just got it back from being painted. I'm having a hell of time getting the driver side panel to fit. I'm going to give Jeff a call tomorrow on this but I wanted to take another stab at it today, I had to walk away yesterday before something got broke.

If the back of the top is latched in and no matter how hard I push back on the front panel I can't get the front latch to drop in. Obviously I realize the latches are all adjustable and I have them set as far back as I can get them. It's almost like the mounting holes for the front latch are 1/4" too far forward.

Did any of you guys who fit up your own top run into this? It might latch if I cut some of the weather strip of the back but I don't think that's advisable. While tight, the passenger side goes in and latches down. Does anybody have any hints for me?

I have the Lemke 3 piece top too (1 of the pieces missing) When I spoke to Jeff Lemke, he said he could build me a third piece but would need me to send the other 2 pieces to him so he
could fit them together properly.

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can be a little bit of a bugger. I generally start with the driver side front latch, center panel, then passenger side latch. I latch the rears after the front latches are engaged. Then center panel latches and lastly the front center handle. If I don't do them in that order, I have issues getting the left front engaged.

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They can be a little bit of a bugger. I generally start with the driver side front latch, center panel, then passenger side latch. I latch the rears after the front latches are engaged. Then center panel latches and lastly the front center handle. If I don't do them in that order, I have issues getting the left front engaged.

I really like the way the Lemke top looks in forum photos however when I place the 2 pieces on my car, it just doesn't line up well. Im hoping to get the top to Lemke soon. Hoping he can work his magic on it.

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The only way I can get the front latch down is if the back of the panel is raised up over the sport bar and weather stripping keeps me from getting it down into place. If I put the back into place I can't get the front to latch. I tried splitting the difference but no luck there either.

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Can I ask how long it takes you to put the Lemke top on your car? I will probably never use the Lemke top other than when driving and a rainstorm hits. Using it for emergency use only.
If I were in a cold weather state, I might keep it on the car during winter. Our winter has been so mild in Texas, I haven't really needed a top. Just turn up the hot heater and use Lemke
windows and all is good for Texas winter.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hemihead...have you done any measuring of your viper or the top? Measure the distances from the windshield or the hole for the top above the windshield to someplace at the rear and compare both driver and passenger sides. Measure both sides of the top to see if they are comparable. This might give you a better idea of what is going on. I understand that the vipers can have a bit of variance from one to the next. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI, they are going to re machine the slot on my latch to make it longer so I'll have the adjustability I need and that should fix me up. Recall, I bought this top used, awesome customer service as usual. Thanks Jeff and Carl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456