Question - So many wrecked 08 vipers - Viper history please

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have unfortunately all read wrecked Viper stories but I have never seen so many so quickly as I have with the 08 Viper. Here is the lastest one. You can see people opinions on the Gen III crowd as to why they think it is happening.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...8-ssg-bites-dust-before-leaving-dealer-2.html

Question - For the people who have been on this site a long time and lived through the viper generations, I was wondering if this was an issue when the Gen1 and Gen2 first came out, then the Gen 3, etc.. does each generation go through this?

Just seems it is rampant with the 08's. Is 600Hp finally too much?

i thought this would be a good discussion for the Gen1 and 2 guys.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were plenty of wrecks with Gen II cars. They may not have been as frequently and/or as rapidly reported for a number of reasosn including but not limited to the expansion and wide spread use of digital cameras and the net. Also, I think that most people would rather not talk about such an event. After all, it is very embarrassing. With that said, increases in HP may be a factor although the differential and the tires on the '08 are better than those on the Gen III ;and, the differential on the '08 is better than the differential on the Gen I and Gen II.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why all drivers should do a Viper Days event if they are not comfortable. Hey ... maybe they should put a temporary red caution sticker on accelorator for new Viper owners :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why all drivers should do a Viper Days event if they are not comfortable. Hey ... maybe they should put a temporary red caution sticker on accelorator for new Viper owners :)

The problem is these new Viper owners need to make it to the event with a Viper intact. They're wrecking them trying to drive them off the lot.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that there a lot more 08s being sold to folks that are not previous Viper owners. I would be curious to see the statistics on Viper accidents that occur within the first 500 miles and how many of them are first time owners...

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accidents in Vipers are going to happen. They shouldn't happen to an aware and good driver in the 1st thousand miles or so. The fact of the matter is that most of us buy these cars to drive harder than anyone will drive the regular means of transportation. The odds are that on the track, occassionally we will lose control by exploring the limits.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....We have unfortunately all read wrecked Viper stories but I have never seen so many so quickly as I have with the 08 Viper. .....
Question - For the people who have been on this site a long time and lived through the viper generations, I was wondering if this was an issue when the Gen1 and Gen2 first came out, then the Gen 3, etc.. does each generation go through this?......

Short answer: YES. Lots of newbees have crashed all years. Gen 1 had 400HP, but the chassis was a flexible flyer and the tires were sticky and darty ("TDS") beasts. I hear this story every WEEK as I help owners rebuild or salvage. Less than 10% of the stories are seen here!!

Confession: I sold a Lotus Esprit Turbo to buy my first RT10 back in 93. I had owned P911, 3 Vettes, and 3 x XKEs including a V-12 prior. I was considerd a good driver. But on the 120 mile trip home from the Dodge Dealer I nearly wrecked my RT10 while entering the FIRST HIGHWAY ON-RAMP I encountered. It was a close call. It scared me a couple more times and sent me straight to a Pro-driving school a few weeks later for a refresher course.

MANY MANY MANY Owners bite the dust entering a HIGHWAY ! (Both of the most recent OREGON VCA presidents totalled Vipers this way, and 2 local members did the same.)

Loaning cars is another issue: Just this week a CA dad who's Viper was wrecked by a friend on his 1st drive, had his SON DO THE SAME with sons Viper! He LOANED his Viper, despite his dad's lesson. BOOM. Another near total, 2 for one family !

ABS, bigger brakes, better coupe handling, helped improve the breed Gen 2-3, but statistically, VIPERS BITE....... and the 2008 sure looks like it could be a Widow-maker to the unskilled.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the essence of the problem is that a fool and his or her Viper are soon parted. ( Pun intended.)

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you add all the factors together (new owners, technology with digital cameras and WEB posting, 600 HP) you get these results. Previous generations definitely lacked two of these three factors so it might seem a bit extreme for all the 08 stats.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, too many people think the Viper is like a nissan or an audi. It's not.

Ted

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought mine in 04 the dealer told me to be very careful because most guys wreck them in the first week.
I remember driving it home white knuckled. You have to respect the torque and hp and the steering response. It truely is a two handed car. Pay attention...........

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand what the big problem is. I guess People are used to just stabbing the throttle and a car spin a bit and hook. With the viper, or atleast the two I have drove, I roll into the throttle. Just stabbing the gas cause excessive tire spin.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is a tool that needs time to become familiar with and understand how to use ! You would/should not just pick up a circular saw, a hand gun(or long gun for that matter) or any other potentially dangerous tool and just expect to know how to use it. Many drivers, even those who have driven powerful sports cars have got into trouble with the the high hp/tq of the Viper(ok also Enzo and Carrera Gt amogst others with well published accidents). These cars and any other potentially deadly tool need to be understood and respected, or the consequences can be maming or deadly to themselves or others ! !

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Viper is a tool that needs time to become familiar with and understand how to use ! You would/should not just pick up a circular saw, a hand gun(or long gun for that matter) or any other potentially dangerous tool and just expect to know how to use it. Many drivers, even those who have driven powerful sports cars have got into trouble with the the high hp/tq of the Viper(ok also Enzo and Carrera Gt amogst others with well published accidents). These cars and any other potentially deadly tool need to be understood and respected, or the consequences can be maming or deadly to themselves or others ! !

I agree. Respect is key!

Also, we were at the AJC Auto Show in Atlanta a couple of days ago and they had the ZR1 there. They were saying that they are considering a mandatory driving class with the purchase of the ZR1.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were saying that they are considering a mandatory driving class with the purchase of the ZR1.
I don't know how they could legally require such a thing. I could see offering it as a free package with the purchase of the car. But if someone refuses then that's their problem imo.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously they couldn't legally require anyone to take a class. But they could refuse to sell it to anyone who did not. Maybe for liability issues? Remember on the 1st Cobra R's Ford require a racing license from the purchaser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62