Race-Ready Telemetry for the Masses

Discussion in 'General Viper Discussion' started by Marv S, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Marv S

Marv S VCA Member - UT/AZ

2. TowDawg

TowDawg Viper Owner

I use the app on my iphone at the track for lap times. It will show my G's, speed at certain track areas, etc, but I don't "think" you can overlay the info on your video unless you are using the phone to film it. Since I use a GoPro, I really just use the app for lap times. I know you can buy some other attachments to plug into the car and get all sorts of other cool stuff, but since I can't overlay it on my video, I won't bother to get it.

It is true that it would help to have some sort of cradle with a GPS signal to mount your phone in because it has a stronger signal than the one inside your phone, but I haven't really had any problems. It will combine 2 laps or miss a lap every now and then because it lost signal for a second, but overall it's 100% worth it.

Road Atlanta is where I've used it and with the track already pre-loaded (100's of tracks are), all I have to do is hit "drive" when I pull out of the pits and it does the rest.

3. viper067

viper067 Viper Owner

I use Harry's lap timer and like it. I use it with iPhone 4. I use the video option and like the ability to overlay data on the video. What I don't like is that the overlay of data slices the video up into individual laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9E3UmhheVU

4. Mopar Boy

Mopar Boy Viper Owner

Interesting.....

So you can also plug into the OBD?

5. Slithr

Slithr Viper Owner

Scott, below is a link to a thread that RW99 started, and is an excellent resource of the supplies and software needed to get past most if not all of the issues you're having. Yes, you can overlay your go-pro video with your iphone GPS, and you can get a faster GPS repeater to avoid missed laps.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/648546-Smartphones-as-data-loggers...?highlight=RW99

Robert, yes you can hook into the OBII for additional data points and also overlay that on your video. Maybe RW99 will chime in as he seems to very knowledgable on the subject.

Me, I'm still try to keep my Go-Pro on the car vs. running over it :omg:

6. TowDawg

TowDawg Viper Owner

I think I looked at his thread in the past, but he completely lost me. lol
    I'll try looking through it again and see if I can follow it a little more.

7. Brad04Mamba

Brad04Mamba Viper Owner

How are you mounting your Iphone?

8. viper067

viper067 Viper Owner

9. gb66gth

gb66gth Viper Owner

What video option? On the iphone or some other device? How do you mount it in the car?

10. gb66gth

gb66gth Viper Owner

Oops , just saw your answer

11. InjectTheVenom

InjectTheVenom VCA Associate Member

Would something like this that can be plugged into the OBD port also work with a Samsung Galaxy S3? Next month I'm up for a new phone with my subscription again and this time I am going to very carefully make my choice.

12. Slithr

Slithr Viper Owner

Not sure about the Samsung, but I believe the Android will.

13. rw99

rw99 Enthusiast

Hey, guys... I haven't yet pursued adding OBDII logging to my setup in my original thread. But it shouldn't be a problem... maybe the easiest solution is to use a second smartphone and Bluetooth/WiFi OBDII dongle. When I was first looking for a simple, stand-alone plug-in logger I couldn't find any that were inexpensive.

Marv, that last link in your post is the Android app that I use: Trackmaster. That's the tool you can use to overlay virtually any data log onto a variety of video file formats. Importantly, Trackmaster is also designed to help you synchronize the video and datastreams.

For ease of use and Apple fans, Harry's Lap Timer looks great. I don't know if the current version allows the use or integration of external and/or additional video.

14. rw99

rw99 Enthusiast

...also, remember that you only need OBDII if you want to log actual data from the car's sensors... all the track position, speed, lap times, altitude, and accelerometer data in my Seca video were captured by the smartphone and an external GPS widget. No OBDII.

Rich