Radar Strangely Silent

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past week, I've been driving the New Jersey Parkway as usual and seeing plenty of cars stopped as usual....but my radar detector (****** 8500) isn't chirping when I approach or pass any of the troopers at all. It still goes off in KA-band at every EZ-Pass toll and it still alerts me to every local cop I see.

Has anyone in NJ, NY or PA area heard about the NJ State Troopers getting new radar units recently?

I know there was a HUGE discussion a short time ago about the newest Valentine and Bel units to shield me from the new radar out there and this thread is not meant to start that battle again (we all have our preferences).

Regards,
Aaron

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron,

I have not noticed anything, but I have not been out much this summer. If I see anything, I will let you know.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RX65. Good unit.

People have had problems with the unit if they have a electrical system that has dips in voltage. You get this strange error..."Calibration needed".

Found on the internet, however, that if you press a few buttons, the message goes away and you are good to go. Lots less expensive than the V1. Dont like the warning lights? You can shut them off. Same with the sound. Pop protection out of the box. You don't have to send it back to V1 for an "update" for 75 bucks. V1 bakes in the heat and loses signal reception. Never had a problem with the RX65.

Very customizable. Signal reception is only greater on the new Bel Unit they just came out with. That one has up to an 11 mile range? Cant see how that is useful. Not unless you live in Az.

How good is the RX65? Lets just say that I did some very "spirited driving" along 95 from Fla to NJ with the unit in the XKR. Saw a Space Shuttle launch and drove home that night to get to work. It was very good and accurate.

JACKED DADDY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Thought I Was Going Crazy. I Have Been Passing Direct Hits To One Of My Everyday Drivers A 06 Lincoln Navigator Elite And My Valentine Did Not Make A Sound. I Was Shipping It Back To Them This Week. The Radar Was On Route 18, Garden State Parkway, Long Island Expressway. I Dont Know If Its My Detector, Windshield Or A New Radar. Tomorrow I Will Set Up The New Bell Driver Next To My Valentine. Watch Ill Get A Speeding Ticket.

OP
OP
AFL in NJ

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jacked Daddy,

That's the same symptom....I'm getting hits everywhere EXCEPT the parkway....which is where I've had the most legal problems. When in any borough, I "see" good officers doing a great job well before they are in sight. I pick up my usual false alarms.....just when I should be getting State Trooper hits on the Parkway......there is an erie silence!!

Maybe it's time I go back to the bar when I know a bunch of Troopers hang out and ask a question after buying a round....or go across the street to my neighbor's house (he trains the new hires as they are green Troopers) and arrive with a case......it get more complex the more I think about it.

Regards,
Aaron

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know your results. Sure the Bel will be ringing off the hook. Sniffs them out good. They like to use laser on the overpasses now, with a car in radio contact.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havent used a detector in years. Does your detector also pick up laser? I got pulled over in Delaware this spring but the trooper had a laser unit, not radar. Also, my friend drives a BMW 545 and rarely drives under 88 mph on the highway. He claims his unit can actually jam radar and laser.

Any truth to that?

OP
OP
AFL in NJ

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have X, Y, K, Ka and Laser on my ****** 8500.....however I get more Laser alerts near construction sites from the laser leveling equipment than I ever have on the highway....I slow down anyway because I'm commuting 150 miles a day. I've found NJ State Troopers tend to have older radar units in their cars....even the new cars.....that's why I've been so dumbfounded when things went quiet about 2 weeks ago.

Regards,

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my Valentine, I've had just one frequency go out before, and had to send it in for repair. E.g., you might be picking up the X falsies, K band locals, and not the Ka band troopers.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear more about this new band of radar, but for the situation in NJ my first suspicion would lean towards laser.

Here in CT, we don't have anything so wide as the Jersey Tpke so it's usually simple as pie to spot the troopers by how traffic reacts ahead of you. Likewise, they tend to pick the same spots along different roads and highways to camp out. When I'm speeding, I know to let it coast for a few seconds before I reach some spots, and I always keep an eye on how the herd up ahead of me is reacting. Brake lights in the fast lane will do it. I think the greater danger for a speeding ticket here would be just around town, but I live in a town where the locals are traffic violation secret police and literally DO unofficially have their performance monitored by the chief in relation to number of tickets given.

If NJ has come up with some alien technology to catch everyone, then might I suggest buying a Marauder for the commute and changing the headlights/grille and tail lights to match a Crown Vic? My daily is a Crown Victoria LX in state silver and I have been waved to by cops more often than I can recount, as well as had a trooper on Rt 9 flip his lights on about to come get me, only to (I suppose) "recognize" the car and shut it down again. (Phew!)

If you can't beat 'em...emulate 'em? lol And my car is NOT a look-a-like for a patrol car or an unmarked car... it's the normal LX with pinstripe, crap rims and single exhaust.

JACKED DADDY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aaron I installed my other valentine in my navi today, side by side. When getting onto exit 11 on the turnpike the quiet unit picked up 1 bogey and the fresh install picked up 5. Gardenstate parkway quiet unit nothing fresh unit picked up bogey at the Arts Center. I guess they do break. Repair was 45 or upgrade to POP 85. Were popin. 10 shipping. Tomorrow I will do A side by side with my freinds new Bell Driver, he thinks thats a better unit. What does he know He drives A ZO6. Thanks Dennis

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got the new Valentine 1 with pop protection. I've also noticed how quiet it has been, especially in Va. I was starting to wonder if there was a problem. But, then the answer reared it's ugly head... I started getting a LOT of Laser hits on the V1. My guess to the quiet issue, is they're running more Laser which is not active until they aim it and pull the trigger. Thus, a silent V1. I sure am looking at the over passes with more intent now.

OP
OP
AFL in NJ

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the crazy part for me was I'm picking up alerts in all bands....just not the one place I spend the majority of my time (150 miles each day). I know the NJ State Troopers have been getting new cars, but from the alerts I was regularly getting, they put the old radar units in the new cars (mostly they were X-band hits when I used to see them getting people).

Today I saw six people pulled over getting tickets on my way to work (75 miles...including one guy stopped by two bike officers) and not one of the officers left the radar on while they were giving the ticket....this was not what I used to see. Maybe the officers were alerted to increased cancer rates with the old radar units and are making a habit of leaving them off when they're not in the speeding ticket giving mood....they are plenty of other tickets they can give (improper lane change, etc.)?

Regards,
Aaron
P.S. Thanks Phil, I PM' Flash and thanks Dennis, I'll look forward to hearing what your buddy and you find out. I hope someday I can also see some of your car collection!! Nice taste in cars!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456