Random Tech too loud

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All right, I admit it - I'm old! :dunno: I purchased a Ramdom Technology exhaust system this summer from Partsrack for my '98 GTS and I am finding it too loud. I am thinking of switching to a Corsa system. If anybody is interested in a cat back with around 500 miles on it, let me know. Ron.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the random tech cat-back on my 99 RT/10 with stock cats and love the sound it makes. It will probably sound even better when I get around to putting hi-flo cats on it. I think it makes the viper sound wicked!!!! Then again I am 31.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HUUH!?!!?!!?

(my side exhaust with no cats is so loud I can't hear the words you type)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a Random Tech cat back exhaust on a GTS for a friend. I thought it was rather quiet. I'm not sure the Corsa is going to be any quieter, but I may be wrong. Is it too loud, or too much drone?

Maybe the best thing to do is go to a VCA event and see if you can hear a few different setups before you make your final decision.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find mine with RT hi-flos loud as well until it gets hot.:dunno: When its cold it is stupid at points of the rpm but is just right when it gets hot. If my wife goes with me, I leave run in the driveway for awhile first as she hates it until we've driven a few miles. I will have Dynamat installed by spring to reduce cabin sound.
I'm old too

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed the Random Tech cat back with the RT hiflow cats and I though it was as quiet as my stock exhaust without cats. I was disappointed that it was not louder. So disappointed that I am doing long tube headers and removing the cats. I heard Plumcrazys car this weekend and it was the best sounding GTS I have ever heard bar none and his was not too loud for me with a similar setup.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the Random Tech cat back with the RT hiflow cats and I though it was as quiet as my stock exhaust without cats. I was disappointed that it was not louder. So disappointed that I am doing long tube headers and removing the cats. I heard Plumcrazys car this weekend and it was the best sounding GTS I have ever heard bar none and his was not too loud for me with a similar setup.

The headers will make a big difference along with no cats. Plum bought my balenger headers they sounded real good on my car.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find mine with RT hi-flos loud as well until it gets hot.:dunno: When its cold it is stupid at points of the rpm but is just right when it gets hot. If my wife goes with me, I leave run in the driveway for awhile first as she hates it until we've driven a few miles. I will have Dynamat installed by spring to reduce cabin sound.
I'm old too

Jim - You can't hear your wife speak while you are in the Viper? ok......i'm not understanding what the problem is :dunno:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All right, I admit it - I'm old! :dunno: I purchased a Ramdom Technology exhaust system this summer from PartsRack for my '98 GTS and I am finding it too loud. I am thinking of switching to a Corsa system. If anybody is interested in a cat back with around 500 miles on it, let me know. Ron.

THE MUFFLERS ARE REVERSABLE, MILD or WILD. The 'teeth' face forward to make it MILD....the teeth face rearward to make it louder. Which way did you orient the baffle-teeth?

You might also consider cone-tyle insert mufflers....tame it down a bit, and save the expense altogether.

PartsRack would be happy to send you a CORSA and sell or trade your used system on consignment for you....... we would offer it as an OPTION to those who order NEW.
Of course, you can still sell it outright in classifieds! We want you to enjoy your car !

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm old too

Just add good headers and the sound will be just right. Leave the wife at home.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE MUFFLERS ARE REVERSABLE, MILD or WILD. The 'teeth' face forward to make it MILD....the teeth face rearward to make it louder. Which way did you orient the baffle-teeth?

You might also consider cone-tyle insert mufflers....tame it down a bit, and save the expense altogether.

PartsRack would be happy to send you a CORSA and sell or trade your used system on consignment for you....... we would offer it as an OPTION to those who order NEW.
Of course, you can still sell it outright in classifieds! We want you to enjoy your car !

Hard to beat that! :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Random Tech on my sc'd 600rwhp 98GTS. Stock headers, Roe Hif-flow Cats and Random Tech 3" Catback. Idled kind of loud and WOT pretty quiet. Now I have Ported heads, headers, Cat delete, Corsa track exhuast and it's LOUD! As in really loud.

At VOI X I think mine was the loudest Viper there. This GTS is Roe sc'd and about 750rwhp. Hurts people's ears when throttled at stand still. I had many comliments about the sound quality. Started and revved at the Vendor's evening and that attracted the camera and about 20 watchers (Sorry to the girl standing behind my car as I noticed her cringe when I 'burped' it).

I'm not old (53) and what I like is the quality sound of a powerful engine, loud is OK though.

I spoke to the Corsa guy about the technology of their exhaust. I wanted to remove the tailpipes from my GTS and build a good sailpanel under the rear of my Gen 2. He said that the length of my 3" pipes adds to the mellow tones of the exhaust note and sidepipes cannot duplicate my exhaust frequency and tone. Bummer, I'll keep the full exhaust system.

About the WIVES; I offered to upgrade her V6 exhaust on her Excape and she said she likes it quiet. I explained that it may be possible to get equal or perhaps slightly better mileage from her gutless V6 that the mileage my MIGHTY V10 gets ... if I do louder exhaust on her SUV.

Her Excape gets 19.0mpg and my Viper gets 19.7mpg!!! I suffer with her quiet, gutless car and she suffers with my excessively (except for stock sound levels at cruising speeds) loud Viper. No whiners here.

Ted

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Random Tech Cats and 3" Corsa Cat Back and while it is pretty loud I think it sounds perfect. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456