Rattling Clutch Issue

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have this issue?
2005 SRT/10 with 17k miles:
After I've spent 30min or so on a highway and stop at a light, if I put it in neutral and let the clutch out I get a terrible rattling noise from the engine compartment. As soon as I push the clutch in it goes away.:dunno: I don't feel it in the clutch I only hear it and the clutch seems to be working fine.

RMcGuinness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal...depending on your definition of "terrible"...Generation 3/4 have this...search other threads for exact reason...but you're good

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably normal. Have you changed your tranny fluid lately? After 17000 miles, the fluid could have broken down a bit and changing it might help. Also, if you haven't changed plugs and done a general 'tune up' for a while, a rough idling engine will contribute to the problem in a big way.

The NGR "neutral gear rattle" issue was really common on the older cars (my '97 rattles like crazy). A lot of it has to do with the giant gears that are used in these cars, along with the low engine idle speed. Some people switched to a heavier trans oil, and that helps a bit - but changes the shift smoothness/effort. On yours, I would bet that a tranny oil change, along with plug change and injector cleaning will make it go away.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably normal. Have you changed your tranny fluid lately? After 17000 miles, the fluid could have broken down a bit and changing it might help. Also, if you haven't changed plugs and done a general 'tune up' for a while, a rough idling engine will contribute to the problem in a big way.

The NGR "neutral gear rattle" issue was really common on the older cars (my '97 rattles like crazy). A lot of it has to do with the giant gears that are used in these cars, along with the low engine idle speed. Some people switched to a heavier trans oil, and that helps a bit - but changes the shift smoothness/effort. On yours, I would bet that a tranny oil change, along with plug change and injector cleaning will make it go away.

Wow. thanks for all the help and peace of mind. I thought it was normal but wanted to make sure.
I take it to Dodge every 5k for oil change and maintenance. It seems to stop after a while.

Thanks again:usa: