RB1 and Sirius questions, for a 2005 Viper

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes, not a performance mod. Will look into that next year. I just bought the car!

I have been looking at the RB1 radio, specifically because I want a clean in dash Navigation system. Not really concerned about audio quality as I like listening to the engine of course. Just want nav, and some satellite radio as an option on a longer drive.

1) I see some RB1 radios boot-up with a Dodge logo, some with a Chrysler, and I assume some with a Jeep. How do I know what the radio will boot with? Clearly, if it says 'Chrysler' in my Dodge, it would bother me.
2) Are there different model RB1s? So far I have seen P56038629AH, AD, AG, AI. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]I thought maybe it meant the brand logo, but there are more model numbers than brands?
3) For a Sirius tuner, looks like I need a cable. There are a few cable types, depending on if there is a factory changer or not. Obviously, there is no changer, so which adapter model number? Seems like multi-pin cable adapters.

Sorry for the question - I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find these answers by searching. Perhaps using the wrong terms.

Derek

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason, there are a ton of Jeep sites with RB1 info. This one answered almost all my questions: http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm

1) The RB1 recognizes the vehicle it is in from the PCI bus and displays the appropriate logo.
2) AB,AC..AF part numbers are merely year to year revisions. Seems like starting at AG and up, the units have the appropriate trigger to turn on the external amplifier. I think Vipers have this amplifier?
3) Still not sure about cable for Sirius yet. 10 pin to something...

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) No idea how to change it but I bet an update DVD (needed for new maps) may make it possible to swap it over.
2) I think the 2 letter designations are for the map year. I think the latest disk is 05064033AK.
3) Not sure if the RB-1 needs this unit as well. Probably talking to VPA would help.
https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...-sirius-radio-receiver-and-antenna-82206488ab

The map discs do have similar letter schemes, but they are indeed uncorrelated to the RB1 part number.
You need to buy a separate Sirius tuner and antenna, plus a cable to go from the 10 pin CD Changer port to the XX-pin Sirius unit. Not sure yet... special cable to display artist and song info....

Derek

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And of course - I NEED to hack the firmware to get the VIPER logo instead of a Dodge logo...

Apparently, its not so easy to hack the RB1.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth