Re-torquing heads...Do I need exhaust manifold gaskets?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just started working on re-torquing the heads on my '94. I've got a slight coolant leak; it's not enough to make a puddle but I do have some coolant trails on the bottom of the block and the aroma gets sickening sometimes.

I notice that the lower head bolts are almost impossible to get to due to the exhaust manifold. I haven't looked at the exhaust manifold gaskets closely but if I remove the manifold, do you usually need to replace those gaskets on the Viper? I know Mercedes usually does and Ferraris hardly ever do. What about Vipers? If so I have to button it all back up and do it later this week. No place sells those gaskets on a Sunday!

--Rob

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 94 with 103k miles, third engine. I've got no real experience with the dreaded head gasket problem since I just got the car a few months ago. But, everything I've seen on this board says go ahead and put in the new head gaskets when it starts to seep. I've never smelled any coolant from mine but when I do I'm going to change the gaskets out right away. I've not seen any posts that say re-torque.

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably 10 posts on here saying that re-torquing is necesarry and will often solve the problem....at least for a while. JonB recommends it regularly.

It's a moot point now. The exhaust gaskets are aluminum which means they need replacing if they're removed. I just bolted it back together and will take care of it later this week when I can get the gaskets.

--Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456