rear brake pads, how much should I pay at dealer?

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just finally registered my GTS that I bought a few months ago. The first thing I wanted to do was get an oil change and I had to get an inspection sticker. Hours later they tell me my rear brake pads are 70% worn! Since when do they check brake pads for an inspection sticker? Anyway they quoted me $400 to do the rear pads. That sounds terribly high to me but this is my first Viper. What have you guys paid at the dealerships? Thanks!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call our Viper Vendors here! $400 for pads, WHAT??

Simple to do your self! Might take an hour if you clean up real good while your at it! :2tu:

If you are driving on the street only, you might want to get EBC Greens all around. NO dust, no noise.

OP
OP
R

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to go to Chuck Tator's but he's too far away. As for doing it myself, I've never done brake pads before and this is not the car I want to learn on! I just need to know if all dealers are going to charge that much and how much some other people are paying.

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why don't you try a local shop that you trust to do the pads instead of the dealer? The pads are real easy to do, but if you can't do it, any mechanic can do it probally for less than half that price for front and back pads

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to go to Chuck Tator's but he's too far away. As for doing it myself, I've never done brake pads before and this is not the car I want to learn on! I just need to know if all dealers are going to charge that much and how much some other people are paying.

Actually this is probably the car you do want to learn on. Reason? I assume the car is somewhat low miles? Has not seen much weather? The caplier will be easy to get off compared to your daily driver that runs into all sorts of elements. If all else fails get a buddy to help, you must know someone that has done it. Take warning signs from others that get work done outside the Viper commmunity, you can never trust the result!

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like you took it to a garage to get inspected. NJ has both state and private. If you went to a garage, just take it somewhere else for the inspection. 70% wear on back brakes is nothing to get worried about. I think they are just trying to scam you. NJ has some of the strickest inspection in the US and it only takes about 20 minutes and the inspection is good for two years. Brakes would never fail inspection because their 70% worn. Ask for your money back. If they give you a hard time, tell them you'll call the state DMV. Don't be afraid to work on your Viper, its actually easier than most cars. $400 dollars for brakes is a joke. You can buy all new pads and rotors for that price and still have change left over. Don't always believe what a some of these grease monkeys tell you (only the thieves are grease monkeys). All they want to do is scare you in giving up your money. I would not even bother with the brakes for some time. They will last you many more miles.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Tator. He'll give 20% discount, no tax and free shipping. Call your local VCA. A member will help and it will take about 30 minutes. You should learn how to do it and should probably consider front too while you are at it.

You should consider EBC Greens for less dust but depends how you drive. They cannot be used on a track. I have them on mine.

More importantly, you didn't talk about brake fluid. You should flush it, only good for two years, starts absorbing moisture.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock pads through the dealer ARE expensive and it's an hour or so of labor, and flushing the fluid, etc. Over half of the cost his local dealer is quoting is stock pads - they are not quoting $140 EBC greens. And if that's the case, and you don't want to do it yourself, and you want stock pads, that's not robbery.

Chuck is the source for stock parts, but his quote included labor and should have included a flush / bleed.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth