Red Steering Wheel, Shifter and E-brake

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So my 1997 RT/10 gets delivered and the steering wheel, shifter, and e-brake are all dyed black. I called the dealer and they said they did this because they thought the red trim looked goofy, perhaps aftermarket. Needless to say I was very disappointed because in the pictures they were red. Being that it is what it is, does anyone have any experience stripping off interior dye? I do not want to harm the red leather. If it comes down to it, I can take steering wheel off, and the shifter, but does anyone know how the e-brake handle comes off?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
JBW1997, as I interpret your post, you were expecting to receive a red steering wheel, shifter, and e-brake handle on what I presume is a red Viper (please understand that I am on a PDA and avitars do not show)... But, what was delivered was a 1997 red Viper RT/10 sporting black interior items that were "dealer-dyed" thereby altering the OEM red ones that you had seen in a photo prior to making an agreement to purchase!!???

If that is indeed the case, it's doubly sad since there were only 64 red RT/10's produced in 1997...thus carrying the red interior accents (per M. Liang's book "Viper Buyer's Guide").
The another negative, in my opinion, is what seems to be a dealer's lack of regard for Viper "historical preservation".
And, finally ( again in my opinion based on the facts as presented) there looms the question of "bait and switch". As far as personal taste goes, I would be happy for you to use whatever colors in YOUR Viper that YOU choose...as it is YOUR Viper. I just disagree with what sounds like a post-agreement, undisclosed alteration of the car based on the selling dealer's taste or lack of product knowledge...or both...thereby possibly causing an unnecessary devaluation the "collectability" of the car that you seem to have been expecting.

Please correct my impressions if I have misread or misinterpreted the facts of your post.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my 1997 RT/10 gets delivered and the steering wheel, shifter, and e-brake are all dyed black. I called the dealer and they said they did this because they thought the red trim looked goofy, perhaps aftermarket. Needless to say I was very disappointed because in the pictures they were red. Being that it is what it is, does anyone have any experience stripping off interior dye? I do not want to harm the red leather. If it comes down to it, I can take steering wheel off, and the shifter, but does anyone know how the e-brake handle comes off?

Sounds like that dealer is "goofy"! Demand new ones!! :mad:

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are correct. This really is a tragedy. I do not believe it was something that was done maliciously, merely someone who did not know what they had. I have to admit, I did get what I believe to be a great deal on the car thus furthering the point that the dealership had no idea what they had. Such a rare Viper with 15K on the odo for $38K. This still does not negate the fact that the pictures showed red trim. So back the the original question. What can I do from here? Does anyone know if this dye can be removed with something like acetone? Would it harm the red leather underneath?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I guess that you would need to consult with an expert in leather interiors...try Venzano in Michigan (248-674-7400).

I would also call JonB at PartsRack (360-837-3974) ASAP and seek his help in finding the "red items".

I have seen more than one red 96 Viper where the owner removed the "red items" from the interior. So, someone may see this post and offer to help you...realizing that you'll need the steering wheel from a 97 to retain the airbag as none came on a 96.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tragety? u got to be kidding
the only tragety that i see is them putting that red in there in the first place. very tacky looking IMO

How did they get it that bright red in the first place? Is it even real leather?
Also, Why did they use the old gen1 steeringwheel on the 1997 RT/10 when all the 1996 and up GTS's recieved the newer wheel that included an airbag?

This is the wheel we are talking about right?:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

OR was there a Gen2airbagWheel also made in red?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Heck, I didn't even know that the red 97 RT/10's had the interior "red items" until I read same in Liang'book(page 149)!!!

I DO KNOW that our red 96 RT/10 has no airbag and that our blue/white 97 GTS does have one.

Interestingly, a close friend's Red 1997 GTS...one of 14 built with yellow wheels & small Sneaky Pete badges on the sides of the hood has NO RED ITEMS on the inside...his steering wheel (with airbag), shifter, and e-brake handle are black.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 97 RT/10 interior as it should be

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't post a picture from your hard drive. You will need to upload it here and then link it to the thread. I would demand that they replace the parts or you will sue(false advertisement). You could do this in small claims court(simple and no Lawyers!!!). Depending on the state, they can award up to $5000 which should cover the cost of replacement parts and labor.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, don't let this issue dampen your enthusiasm for this car. You're going to have a blast with it!!!

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice. I am enjoying the car. There are some things I am need to take care of. But what can I expect? The car is 13 years old.
Copy_of_MVC-004S.JPG

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say you should expect the car that you paid for. A '97 RT/10 should have it's colored interior parts. Regardless how "tacky" some people think it is. If the dealer is unwilling to get you replacement parts I say see if they will be willing to give you back the $$ of what the parts will cost you. Or take them to small claims court. Also...congrads on the new (to you) ride.
Thanks for the good advice. I am enjoying the car. There are some things I am need to take care of. But what can I expect? The car is 13 years old.
Copy_of_MVC-004S.JPG

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a red RT ('98), I sort of like the all charcoal gray interior....but, being a stickler for originality (especially when the car is rare), then it should have what it was built with...in this case, red interior parts.

So, I would definitely go back to the dealer and demand that they either find the correct parts and install them, or refund the equivilent dollar value. It would help if you had some info/pics showing those pieces as factory original.

Good luck.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would help if you had some info/pics showing those pieces as factory original.

Just Copy & Paste the pictures in this thread & email to the dealer...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '98 GTS has the red trim as well.
Don't know why, not listed as available in '98 to my knowledge.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, do we assume these red interior pieces are an option and, if so, how many were produced?

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can speak for the 97 RT/10's. They are standard. Red for the red cars, and blue for the blue cars. They only made 117 RT/10's in 1997. I am not sure about other years.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealer contacted me this morning. He spoke with his interior guy. They said it could be stripped and redone. The car is from out of state so I would either have to strip it myself or take the parts off and send them to him. At least he is following up on this. Does anyone know how the e-brake handle comes off?

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMG_0247.JPG

I have taken my steering wheel, shifter knob and e-brake off and sent them to the selling dealer. He said he would take care of it. We will see.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The red steering wheel, as was also the case with blue that I've seen, is for a non-airbag car...prior to 98. Can anyone confirm that an airbag steering wheel was also offered by Dodge in red?

Thanks.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup

do not use acetone btw, wait for professional help if possible

congrats on your new ride :drive:

IMG_0247.JPG

I have taken my steering wheel, shifter knob and e-brake off and sent them to the selling dealer. He said he would take care of it. We will see.

Definitely do NOT use Acetone or let the dealer use it either. Leatherique makes a product "Prestine Clean" (their misspelling, not mine) that gently but thoroughly removes surface dye.

I'd guess your dealer used petro based dye (fast, but a no-no) instead of water based (more costly, SLIGHTLY harder to do but worth it), so when he strips it MAKE SURE he goes back with water based as needed. (Leatherique, ColorPlus, etc)

DO NOT ALLOW THEM to merely spray it with SEM or other petro based colorant. Well, that is unless you want it to come off on your hands, flake on your clothes and simultaneously choke the leather. Been there, seen that.

Your car was rare, you purchased it 'as seen', so I do hope this has a good outcome. Contact Leatherique or have your dealer do so. Have done many interiors with their products, not affiliated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth